Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any time I drink something really cold and maybe it is too fast I start sliming really really bad to wear I almost have to carry around some paper towels in my car - does anyone know exactly what causes sliming?

you must have a tight fill. Sliming is caused from an obstruction. I don't usually drink anything cold. cold tighten the band. I even warm my Water

in the microwave.

Slime is what your body produces when it's trying to pass something through the band. It's very thick saliva.

No I haven't had a fill - in fact only 4 weeks post-op and my band is very loose - I can eat almost as much as before the band - I only get it when I drink something cold -it is a thick clear phlegm that keeps coming up over and over until you can't keep it in your mouth - you have to spit it out - it goes on for about 5 minutes and stops. I cannot drink anything really cold or fast because of it - it is weird that the sliming proves to me that there is a band in there but the amount of food I can consume if I let myself goes right down. I get my first fill on August 11th and can't wait to finally have some restriction like when I first have the surgery and was swollen. Thanks!

a thick phlegm that comes up in your mouth and you have to spit it out you can't swallow it - it keeps coming up for about 5 minutes - it is very unpleasant but like I said I have only had it happen a few times and usually when I drink something really cold - for instance, today I had a cold sugar free lemonade and I had to stop drinking it because the sliming was so bad.

yea, your band is probably clamping down from the cold. I never drink anything cold. Cold tightens the band.

I haven't noticed anything with regards to hot or cold. I do know that if I try to eat bar-b-que, like ribs, then I will get slimmed.

It sucks to slime, but it is the body's natural reaction to having something stuck in your stoma. Slowly, I'm learning not to get to that point where food is backed up and my body reacts this way.

In public, just excuse yourself and go to the restroom where you can work it out. In private, just head to the bathroom.

No one likes to vomit, but I've found that if I can induce myself to upchuck, then things calm down a lot faster. While it isn't pleasant to vomit, I've noticed that it isn't as bad with the lapband. The food hasn't mixed with the stomach acids, so what comes up tastes pretty much the same as it went down.

I hope this helps.

I slime only when drinking cold liquids - food doesn't do it so nothing stuck in stoma - it is unpleasant but hasn't happened too many times - I know if I drink something really cold and maybe too fast it happens right away. I used to think it was dairy because the first time it happened I was drinking a fruit smoothie made with yogurt but not sure really. Thanks.

I was banded 4/3/08, and have had 3 fills with no problems at all. Today, I went to Breakfast with my husband, sister and brother in law. They all ordered pancakes and eggs, and I ordered Cream of Wheat--the lighter, healthier choice.

About 4 tiny bites into it, I felt a horrible pain in my stomach and felt like the food was stuck in my throat. Then the slime started. I couldn't speak, just spat into my napkin until it was drenched. It was clear and stringy, almost like a spider web, and very sticky.

It was nearly blocking my airway, so I went to the bathroom to spit it out into the toilet. I coughed, and a huge gob of thick clear goo came out. And I still kept spitting slime.

It lasted almost 3 hours until my husband called my doctor (because I couldn't even speak) and asked him what to do. He reccommended drinking a few sips of very warm tea.

The first sip (in the parking lot of Starbucks) hurt like heck, and I spat out a huge glob of slime, then took another sip. I kept sliming for another 15 minutes, til it finally ended.

Moral--don't eat dry Cream of Wheat! If you slime for a long period of time, drink something warm. 20 minutes later, my stomach was back to normal and even growling!

hi! cream of wheat works for me but i have to put a lot more Water in it than the packet says - it has to be runny. otherwise it is too think.

i have had 2 slime experiences. both from left over bbq chicken that i microwaved. it gets too dry. my experiences have only been about 5 and 15 minutes. 3 hours - that must have been horrible! i had lot of pain with it too - could tell something was stuck.

i have also heard that cold tightens the band. i drink iced tea all day long and it's ok for me. but as others have said, cold tightens and maybe you are having a stomach spasm from the cold too. i had that when i started Optifast because i was putting ice in the drinks and they were shocking my stomach.

maybe try room temperature drinks for a little while. maybe this is just temporary.. good luck!

I had never had a problem with cream of wheat before this, that's why I ordered it. But I asked that it be served VERY HOT (the way I like it). I think that by the time I swallowed it down, HOT, it dried up even more in my throat and got stuck.

It was very painful! And, yes, 3 hours is forever when you are sick. By the time I drank the warm tea, the pain was unbearable! Then, just as fast as it started, it went away. Within 10 minutes of drinking 2 sips of tea, I was fine. Never want to go through that again!

i feel so bad that you went thru all that! the tip about the hot tea may help many of us out of that situation should we run have a 'long slime' like that! take care!

1. Identify foods that trigger a sliming response, then avoid them or approach with extreme caution (i.e. barbeque).

2. When you first start to eat after not eating for a while, eat S-L-O-W-L-Y. I know this is hard to do when you're hungry, but if you pile up food, then you you will most surely start to slime your way into misery.

3. I don't know, but I think air that's trapped in your stomach needs to escape before you can eat comfortably. So that's why it is important to start slow. As you eat, you'll feel the need to burp. Don't fight it, but be careful so you don't burp up what you just ate. Again, going slow is the key.

At some point, you will feel that any air that's trapped has dissipated, then you'll be able to eat normally.

Given what I know, a light appetizer can help prepare your stomach for the main event.

Regards,

Danny

I was glad to read about this. I've been waiting a long time to do this, and this is the 1st I've heard/read about this. Gross! But still going for it. Sounds like people have some good tips on how to get though/avoid "sliming". Good luck!