Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got banded and I have many questions! Please help.

Ok-so I got banded on July 29th and I got released the same day. I was a little upset that my own surgeon didn't even come see me before I got discharged. :)

Anyways, I get home and have followed the instructions that were given by my surgeon's office. Here are my questions...I've been drinking chicken broth, Water and had a sugar free Jello. When is it good for me to have my Tomato Soup? or cream of Soups?

Also, regarding my incisions...The doc said I can remove the gauze after 24 hours but keep the "stickies" (sticky tape) that are on my stitches. So, does that mean I have to replace the gauze? Can I take a shower like regular but just be careful about touching my incisions? I feel icky and want to shower but I don't know if it will harm my incisions if I get soap and water on them...they book said the tape can get wet so I think it will be ok.

Also, the soreness...I know I just had surgery and there is going to be soreness but I feel myself crunched over all the time. When I stretch back up I feel the pain more..its not unbearable but I want to know, am I hurting myself by staying hunched over or should I try to straighten up as much as possible. What are bad look out signs that I should be watching??

Thanks for reading! I'm new to all this and want to make sure I don't goof it up...:biggrin2:

Congrats on being banded!!!! I can only give you some of the instructions that was given to me. I was instructed only to drink Clear liquids for two weeks so the band could heal around my stomach. Unfortunately, I can't answer the stitching question, because I had the glue. As for pain, the only pain I had was gas pain and it was baaad for a while But it WILL pass!! I hope this helps, I'm sure others can assists with the stitching questions. Good luck.

Be blessed! And get ready for the new YOU!!!

Sheila

Hi Nikole!

God bless you and welcome to LBT! It sounds like the soarness is normal. I felt a little hunched as well. Don't sit straight up. Sit at the angle that you feel most comfortable. That's what I did! :)

Give it week or so and you'll start feeling like your old self. As far as showering goes, my doctor told me showers are fine, but dont take a bath. No submerging in Water for two weeks.

The full liquids are fine. I did have Tomato day 2 after my surgery and I was put on the puree diet after only one week, but every doctor is different and seems to give differnt post-op diets... did your doctor tell you about staying on just liquids for a week or possible two???

Anyway, hang in there my dear! you will start feeling better in no time. I hope this helped answer a few of your questions!

Chi-Town Susie Girl!

:) First of all, congrats on getting banded! As far as answering your questions, you should do what your doctor tells you, but I can tell you what mine told me to do... Clear Liquids for the 1st week, clear liquids + creamy Soups the 2nd week, mushie foods the 3rd week, and on week 4 i could transition to solids (chewing VERY WELL!). As far as being crunched over, it's probably because of all of your muscles sore, I found placing my heating pad over my abdomen and stretching out slowly helped a lot! Also don't forget that walking is very important and that helps as well! And brief showering should be A-OK for your incisions, but no baths or swimming! hope this helps!

Ok-so I got banded on July 29th and I got released the same day. I was a little upset that my own surgeon didn't even come see me before I got discharged. :)

Anyways, I get home and have followed the instructions that were given by my surgeon's office. Here are my questions...I've been drinking chicken broth, Water and had a sugar free Jello. When is it good for me to have my Tomato Soup? or cream of Soups?

Also, regarding my incisions...The doc said I can remove the gauze after 24 hours but keep the "stickies" (sticky tape) that are on my stitches. So, does that mean I have to replace the gauze? Can I take a shower like regular but just be careful about touching my incisions? I feel icky and want to shower but I don't know if it will harm my incisions if I get soap and Water on them...they book said the tape can get wet so I think it will be ok.

Also, the soreness...I know I just had surgery and there is going to be soreness but I feel myself crunched over all the time. When I stretch back up I feel the pain more..its not unbearable but I want to know, am I hurting myself by staying hunched over or should I try to straighten up as much as possible. What are bad look out signs that I should be watching??

Thanks for reading! I'm new to all this and want to make sure I don't goof it up...:biggrin2:

I also didn't see my surgeon before discharge, but it was ok. Doctors are different on when they want you to move on, but most want at least a week of clear liquids, then you can move on to full (creamy soups) liquids. Recheck your papers, it should tell you. I moved onto creamy soups on day 6. When you do, mix them with a can of skim milk instead of water and add seasonings such as a little garlic powder and sage, and it makes them yummy. But please, again, check with them to see when they want you to move onto full liquids.

I was also very sore. I couldn't walk standing up completely straight until day 8, so it will pass. Make sure you are walking around as much as possible, it will help with the gas pains.

You should be able to take a quick shower (since the instructions say you can get them wet), but keep as much water as possible off of the incisions and pat them dry.

Good luck in your recovery and remember to call them about your full liquids if you can't find it in your instructions!

nikole,

Congrats on being banded. Sounds like you have alot of questions that should have been answered by your surgeon before surgery. All the things you are asking are appropriate pre-op questions. Also I would be mad if my surgeon hadn't come to see me or give me any information on what to do next after being banded.

My surgeon gave my fiance several pages of things to do from immediately post op until my first 6 weeks checkup, all of which he had to sign saying he received them.

I would wait at least two days before showering and when you do, just use plain soap. I wouldn't use any of those fragrant soaps or shower gels, because they could be irritating if you have any open areas. As far as the replacing the gauze, I would leave the incisions open to air unless you start having some drainage, then cover them up so that you can get a better idea of how much drainage you are having. I was told a little is normal, although, I had skin glue. I am just going by what we do at work with fresh incisions.

Also I would say you need to get up and walk around the house more. Don't try to do any heavy lifting or anything like that, but you do need to move around more and don't crouch so much. If you stay in that position and don't move around you will take longer to heal and be in pain longer. Not only that, but you need activity to keep your lungs clear. Did your surgeon or nurse give you breathing exercises to do for the first several days? If not, you need to practice doing them to avoid getting pneumonia. Take some really deep breaths in and out and after 10 try coughing. Use a little pillow on your stomach to help lessen the discomfort. You can also use a party horn, a straw or blowing bubbles. These are all things we use on kids on the pediatric unit where I work.

If you are hurting a great deal, and heck even if you aren't, take your pain medication. It is easier to prevent pain, than it is to get it under control once you are hurting extremely bad. From my own experience, I would recommend taking your pain medication as directed for the first two days, just so you are able to get up and around.

My surgeon put me on clear liquids for the first two days, then full liquids, which included cream Soups for 2 weeks. You have to be careful not to push yourself during the healing process to prevent any complications.

These are only a few guidelines, but I think the best advice is to call your physicians office and tell them you need to know what to do now. Nothing you get here is a substitute for your surgeons guidelines, just our personal opinions or experiences.

I wish you a speedy recovery. I noticed you are in Austin, I am in Waco, not too far from you. Nice to find someone not too far. I have met people from the DFW area, but none from Central Texas area.

Best wishes,

Stephanie

Edited by smarquezrn

Thank you to all who have replied..it helps alot!! I appreciate it! I think I am going to call my Drs office to find out if I actually have stitches or glue..cause to be honest, I don't know. I don't know if I even have a follow up appointment but I am gonna check! Thanks again!

Hi Nikole,

Congrats on your banding! I had to be on Clear Liquids for 2 days and then full liquids after that (which includes Tomato soup). Be patient, your soreness will go away in a few days. Good luck to you!

well im no expert but i was told 2 days after surgery that i could shower they said the sticky tape can get wet, just no pool,or baths. are you drinking Protein Shakes? the pain gets better every day,just ,ake sure you are walking as much as possible

Congrats on being banded! I just got mine on July 24th and let me tell you, I am so ready for some real food!! I have been on liquids for 1 week then soft, mushy foods for the 2nd week. Come on scrambled eggs!! During the 1st week, I was able to have pudding, and creamy Soups. The best thing was the sugar-free fudgsicles because those allowed you to actually chew. Tomorrow start week 2 for me. So far I have had a great experience(except for the shoulder pain!) I have lost a total of 10 lbs since 5 days before my surgery. But they say this is time for healing, not losing weight. So hopefully it will coming off easier once I'm able to get some real nutrition in me.

Well good luck!

Congrats on making the best decision you ever made.I know its painful and you are think WTF have I done.But it will pass ,take Gas X it will

help alot with the pain you are having.My doc said clear liquids first 4 days and then full liquids for the remainder of two weeks then mushies for a week,after that soft food for another week.When you are ready for solids just move slow and small bites and wait between bites takes time to see what you can handle and how much.Showers were fine with my doc stitches out in a week and no sex for 3 weeks .You are not alone many experienced bandsters here to help ever step of the way.Just remember in the first few weeks it is not about loosing weight just getting well.

Congrats on your banding, Im still waiting, to hear from my surgeon. I recently had hysterectomy and have to heal a little first. on your incision lines you most likely have what they call steri strips and they will eventually fall off on their own. ( Hands off) you can get them wet but like someone else said dont saturate. Did I read you post as you just got banded yesterday?? Im very happy for you and hope you much success.