Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks post op and so many complications.

Cutting the extremely long last six weeks into a shorter version. THIS IS SHORT!! I wonder when I will be able to 'just get on and live with my band!:?"

I had my surgery on 18th June. No problems.

Week 1. I had extreme port pain.. which didn't go away. I was told it was ok. Although situated under left boob.

Week 2. I was admitted to hospital with temp 102 and liquid situated around my surgery area-internal.

Week 3... adjusting to antibiotic hell and accompanying yeast infection. NICE.. no real problems with the band. Quite hungry though. Normal.

Week 4. First fill. Dr couldn't access port after three attempts. Then under local anesthesia in op room he opened me up and took an hour repositioning the port, slightly lower. It was a bugger to locate and a bugger to stitch back in. Small fill.

Week 5. Extreme restriction building day to day. Loads of port pain Begin throwing up solids and mushies. Hacking cough starts and flu like symptoms without fever over the weekend.

Week 6 (Monday 28th July) Dr office. Try for unfill. Can't locate port access area AGAIN!. Have inflamation and another infection. From that evening on I cannot keep much more than a teaspoon of liquid at a time. So painful. I throw up foam!

I guess I am just unlucky. He said some people just reject this kind of surgery. I have been so careful as has my Dr. He has been brilliant and very caring.

I am sitting up in my bed having had three full days now of not eating at all.. and in the last 24 hours have not been able to hold down liquid. I am even vomiting my own saliva and cannot lie down otherwise I feel I am choking. I am afraid to fall asleep.

I am off to the ER in a few hours for an IV to get rid of this dehydration and accommodating headache and shakes. I will see my doctor tomorrow instead of Thursday. I can't go on like this anymore. I am soo thirsty.

I hope beyond all hope that I haven't slipped my band. The more I think about it I fear I have. I am hoping it is just the swelling and liquid around the port area with my hacking dry cough that is putting pressure on a too full band.

I just want to get on with it!.. and it won't let me

I have lost 25 pounds post op though. So can't complain in that area! I wonder how much is Water weight this week though !!..

I REALLY WANT TO KEEP MY BAND. I am completely self pay and can't lose it now.

thanks for letting me vent.

Kizzie:

My heart goes out to you.

I hope that it all turns around to the positive soon. I almost feel guilty for having gone through everything so smoothly.

Take care, and hopefully you, your doctor, and your body will have more success with the band soon.

Sue

Oh kizzie I am soo sorry for what you are going through. My prayers are with you. Hope is not lost.

:wink2:

Gosh.

Thank you guys so much for answering so quickly. The hours are going so slowly when I am waiting for 8.30am to come.

I just tried some warm tea. Nope. no good. I am in such pain.

It is so good to know that you guys really care. I am pretty much alone in all of this. The people I work for have had it up to their eyeballs.. My 'simple' procedure hasn't been so simple after all. I live with them as a private tutor so I have to recover in my place of work. Not the best of situations. I guess we shall see just how caring they are after 6 weeks of problems.

Roll on 8.30am. I wish to get some fluids in me. I am desperate to just 'down' the apple juice carton I have opened to sip. I know I can't. The two tiny sips came right back up.

Here's to better and brighter things.

I need this band and I want to make it work.

This is from someone who followed all the rules exactly as doctor ordered. Even my Dr is flummoxed to the reasons why. He has such a high success rate in this field. I am his first port flip..and could also be his second!! poor guy will regret the day I walked into his surgery!.

Thank you all so much for your kindness and the time it takes to write.

I greatly appreciate it.

Kizzie.. "things can only get better'..

What a shame!! So sorry to hear that your journey has been a rough one so far! Try to stay positive!! Just think...your getting all these kinks out now and before you know it every thing will be smooth sailing!! :) I'll keep you in my prayers and I know you'll be posting real soon how good everything has been!!! Take Care and Good Luck to you!! Hugs, OOOOOO

:wink2:

Kizzie

Hope you will feel better soon! It sounds like a rough 6 weeks. Glad you have a great doc that is looking after you!

You're in my prayers!

Have you considered a second opinion on your overall situation from your GP who knows you much better than your surgeon? Or a nurse friend?

I'm 4 weeks out and throwing up every time I try to eat for the last 3 days. I finally figured out that I have to wait between bites and my problem is in my esophogus - food won't even get to stomach. It's probably because I have an infection from the tube they put down my throat. My dr said if I throw up Water any more, it has to come out so I'm doing the really slow thing (1 oz every 15 minutes) just like they had us doing right after surgery. It's working for me, but I've irritated the pouch and like the literature says, once it's irritated it takes several days to calm down.

But like you I'd like to keep it because I've lost 20 pounds in 4 weeks - so it works. And I'm lucky, it's probably my esophogus (sorry about the spelling). Have you tried the barium swallow x-ray? That'll at least narrow down the area of problem.

I am just back from the hospital and so relieved.

Thanks for your post Pam. Luckily for me, my surgeon knows me better than my GP!!.. that is because I don't have a GP. I travel with my work and see many different doctors for prescription fills and check ups etc. The hospital I had my band done in have known me for about 3 years now. I had some serious ortho problems and I got to know most of the ortho surgical team very quickly. The Gastro team became involved as I was told to lose 20kg before the Orthos would operate on my knees. My surgeon has been wonderful throughout all of my problems and has been available to me whenever I walk into the hospital door. Almost like VIP treatment I guess. So I am very lucky he knows my history and my work situation (which is not the norm!)...

He had me in for an upper GI as soon as I got there this morning. he took about 20-25 mins to access my port. Gosh the pain!!.. Thank the lord for the anesthesia shots.. anyway, he finally removed all of my fill and left the band empty. I have a severe infection around my port from where it was repositioned two weeks ago and there is a lot of inflammation and liquid. It was very hard for him to access the port through all of that c**p!... We got there though.

My stomach was completely closed. Nothing was going through at all. But then I knew that already!

I swallowed something clear and very bitter tasting. I don't think it was barium as I hear that is like milkshake and chalky. It was another gastro contrasting agent anyway. I watched it fill the pouch very slowly.. and DRIP into my stomach. GOSH even with the complete unfill I have a LOT of restriction from the swelling. He checked the port hadn't flipped and the band hadn't slipped. So I am good to go!.

Such a relief!!

I sat in the cafeteria for 45 mins sipping a sports drink. HEAVENLY. I still feel restricted but not the pain or the severe urge to vomit.

So back on clears for me for a few days then puree for 10. I have antibiotics for the infection.

I am so sorry to hear about your infection Pam. I hope they have put you on some good antibiotics. The band is so wonderful and I hope that you can keep yours. It is SO hard to sip tiny drops only to have it all come back up again. It is so painful. My surgeon today said it is a vicious cycle. Vomiting increases inflammation, inflammation increases vomiting... I really hope your pain soon eases up.

Thank so much for posting your message.

Kizzie, I'm so happy for you that got to the bottom of this and I'm so sorry you've been in bandster hell for the past 6 weeks. Hang in there and god bless you. You are in my thouhts and prayers!

Thanks Susie.

I am beginning to feel better just knowing that everything is right with my band. I so desperately want to keep it that I will do everything in my power. I have no understanding of people who go against doctors orders. I didn't go against mine at all and still had complications..

It has been a worrying six weeks but you know what??

I would do it all again in a flash!...

I still think this band is the answer I have been looking for and as of today I am 27 pounds down since surgery. Couldn't be happier really!!

Edited by kizzie

Your surgeon must be caring and wonderful but it makes me wonder how skilled his. To put a port underneat your left boob is just idiotic. I am sorry you are going through this.

I'm so sorry you've had such a rough six weeks. You've taken the term "banster hell" to a whole new level. Thank goodness your band hasn't slipped, especially after all you've been through.

Here's hoping you're well on the road to recovery. I'm so happy you've managed to lose weight through all of this. Good luck to you!!