Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm unhappy. Lost only 20lbs since feb. surgery.

I'm not losing weight! Since my surgery Feb. 15, 2008, I have only lost 20 lbs. My presurgery weight was 193 lb (i'm 5'2") and now on July 29, 2008, I weight 172. Pitiful, right? However, on the bright side, I'm not gained weight. Does 20lbs in 5 months seem SLIGHT to you? I've not had that full filling--hardly ever. I'm depressed about not losing much weight. Also, I do exercise 1-2 hrs. everyday. My doctor is very conservative with fill restrictions, too.

Edited by Gone Baby Gone

How many fills have you had? You are an equal part in your health care decisions, so request a fill...do not wait for your doctor...you know your body better than anyone.

OMG!!! I am in the exact same boat as you are. I was banded on Feb. 19th and I have only lost 16 pounds. My band holds 12cc and my doctor has put in 6cc. I don't feel any restriction. I can eat whatever I want. I am so frustrated! I feel like I was never even banded. It is also so hard to get an appointment with my doctor.

I feel your pain!!! I was banded 2-5-08 and have lost only 32 pounds! I've had 6 fills and the last one was finally noticeable. But now after a month I'm getting hungry again. Plus I only lost 4 pounds in july. food does get stuck and there's stuff I can't eat but come on! I have the 9cc Realize band with 6cc's in. My friend as the allergan band. She's almost down 100 pounds! We met in the hospital. It's hard not to feel bad and compare. I just feel like I'm doing this on my own. I think you do too. I guess we keep going back for more fills. Lame! Hang in there! Chrissie

Hi! Allergan is just a name brand of one of the bands available to lap band doctors to use. I have an Allergan AP12 band. It's the newest one they had out at the time I had my surgery 8 Feb 08..in fact I am a research participant. I have had 4 fills now..the third had to have half of it removed because it was tooooo tight and this last fill put the 1/2 cc in that he had previously removed and it took me 10 days to adjust to it. Just the past 2 days I've felt like I can eat about 1/4 cup of food without heaving it back up!! I don't really know much more about the other bands but I have a head full of this band simply because it's in my body!!:wink2: I currently have 6.7 cc in this band and it's plenty tight..I just need to exercise more I think!!:lol:

Hi Gone Baby,

I feel your pain, I'm down around 27-30 I guess since Feb 25th. Been holding steady at this weight for the past month or so. Went to see my doc yesterday and he was going to do a fill but I asked him not to.

Let me explain, cause I know all of you who have trouble getting into ur doc or getting a fill are thinking to yourself "what is she crazy!!?" Yea I am crazy but that's besides the point:w00t: I definately know the band is there and giving me restriction as some things get stuck. But I've figured it out, and it's what everyone has been saying all along, the band is a tool. The band is working, I'm the one that's not working. Not saying that you are the same, but I'm kinda resting back on my laurels and not being as diligent as I should be with my food choices or with my excercise.

So Dr. Ing (my doctor who I absolutely love by the way:wub:) says you should have lost at least three pounds since the last time I saw you, to which I responded well don't fill me and I will lose 6 by the next time you see me----his response Yea I doubt it :thumbup: hehe very sarcastically. So we made a small wager on me losing 6 pounds in three weeks. I'm highly competitive and hate to lose so this is my motivation. For the next three weeks I am going to follow the rules to a T and bust my arse to see what results I can get with my motivation and using the band as the tool it was intended to be. Your welcome to join me, I'd be more then happy to compare notes, or I'll be happy to give you the results in 3 weeks.

I guess my point is hang in there, take stock of what you're doing and be brutally honest with yourself. If you're doing what you're supposed to be doing I would talk to my doctor, if not, feel free to join me on pushing my band and my body to the limit:thumbup:

Hi Gone Baby,

I feel your pain, I'm down around 27-30 I guess since Feb 25th. Been holding steady at this weight for the past month or so. Went to see my doc yesterday and he was going to do a fill but I asked him not to.

Let me explain, cause I know all of you who have trouble getting into ur doc or getting a fill are thinking to yourself "what is she crazy!!?" Yea I am crazy but that's besides the point:w00t: I definately know the band is there and giving me restriction as some things get stuck. But I've figured it out, and it's what everyone has been saying all along, the band is a tool. The band is working, I'm the one that's not working. Not saying that you are the same, but I'm kinda resting back on my laurels and not being as diligent as I should be with my food choices or with my excercise.

So Dr. Ing (my doctor who I absolutely love by the way:wub:) says you should have lost at least three pounds since the last time I saw you, to which I responded well don't fill me and I will lose 6 by the next time you see me----his response Yea I doubt it :thumbup: hehe very sarcastically. So we made a small wager on me losing 6 pounds in three weeks. I'm highly competitive and hate to lose so this is my motivation. For the next three weeks I am going to follow the rules to a T and bust my arse to see what results I can get with my motivation and using the band as the tool it was intended to be. Your welcome to join me, I'd be more then happy to compare notes, or I'll be happy to give you the results in 3 weeks.

I guess my point is hang in there, take stock of what you're doing and be brutally honest with yourself. If you're doing what you're supposed to be doing I would talk to my doctor, if not, feel free to join me on pushing my band and my body to the limit:thumbup:

Wow! You go Megan. I cancelled my last fill because I was broke, and rescheduled for the 20th. My lapband sixth month anniversary is Feb 27th and I want to be 50 lbs down by this time. I have seven lbs to lose. So I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna do it without a fill. I'm with you. I needed some motivation. Thank you for posting this.:thumbup:

Ready----You can do it--I have confidence in you!!!!

I'm very fortunate with my insurance, it only costs me $15 copay for fills. And my doc is I guess pretty agressive with fills every three weeks. So all the stars have aligned for me and yet I'm still not losing the way I want to be.

I've been reading these boards and posting for months, and pre-surgery I was like "NOOOOO not me I'm not gonna be one of those people that eats around my band" Uhhh yea ok, pass the Doritos:ohmy:!! People are right the garbage slides right thru and the good stuff is harder to eat.

I've got to be more accountable to myself. I've got to utlize this thing for all it's worth. For the love of pete I went thru major surgery to have this darn thing put in, and now I'm not doing all I can to make it work for me??? Yep this is where the crazy part kicks in...lol:tt2:

Of course by the time dinner has rolled around my determination may be waning, but as things stand at this point right now I'm determined. That's the other thing that I've learned, other addictions people say they take it one day at a time. Not me, with this thing I've gotta take it one minute at a time, cause god only knows when the snicker fairy might attack again:w00t:

Hey Jlobyxmas and Tara!

First YES Tara..I'd love to be your long distance internet exercise buddy and I promise to be totally honest with you!! We need this kind of interaction to where we can be held accountable to someone besides all those around us..cuz I'm telling you..my friends here are saying..whoa you've lost enough..but in reality..I'm thinking..gosh I'm glad they don't know what that scale REALLY is saying! :tongue: I'm only half way to my mark and the loss has s l o w e d down on the scale considerably and I know it's because of my exercising not being aggressive as it should be!

Second..Jlo..you are so right on the band being a tool..not the cure..an aid for us to use!! Like you said earlier..it's strange how the bad things just go through and after heaving a couple of times you can become a little shy of eating what's good simply because you KNOW that bad stuff will just go on through without any..or mostly without resistance and bad after effects except for the most important..it's not what we need to fill our little tummys with to get the nutrients we need!! Eventually we will over induldge and the weight is going to stay right where it's at!! I'm guilty of that myself!! But I think all of us have had moments of relapse and I think that wager you have with your doc is great!! I know you can do it! I do something similar to that with my doc and when it's made like a competition it doesn't seem to make me feel like I'm working at it..but enjoying the stimulus of being able to get on that scale and say YEAH! I did it!!:thumbup: So you keep that great attitude up and show that doc you are reconfiguring your thought processes on what your band is to you and what it can do for you!! You'll make it!!:wink_smile:

Okay Queenie. I'll Pm you and we will talk more. Thanks. I think this will be good for both of us. I gots to get to 50 before August 20th and this morning the stupid scale went up a lb. But I got to get myself to gym.