Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am planning on having my surgery next month and my husband and I are discussing the recovery process...He asked a good question and I was hoping someone here might have an answer or suggestion.

My husband is taking the day of my surgery off from work to take me to and from, and to make sure everything is okay at home. We were wondering if day two of post-op would require someone else being home with me? How was the week of recovery? We are trying to plan ahead so he can put in for his time off.

Thanks for the help!

Hi:

Day two isn't so bad. Just make sure you have liquid pain medication and lots to drink by the bed. You'll probably be sleeping alot. You should be able to get out of bed without help, but you probably won't be out of bed for more than a few minutes.

If you have a reclining chair, put the necessities next to the recliner - clicker, magazine, beverages, liquid pain meds, laptop.

I hope all goes well.

Sue

well everyone is diferent but on day two i was out walking my neighborhood about 1 to 1 1/2 miles my doc told me the sooner your out walking the better this helps prevent blood clots and helps with gas pains (which i didn't have thank god) but with in three days I felt like nothing had happend other than a little soreness at the port area

My mom brought over a grabber. This helps alot. Like to get the remote or if I drop something on the floor. My stomach is really sore and I can't bend over to pick up anything up. (My dogs just can't understand why momma can't pick them up.) Try and have everything within your reach. I have a mug that has the oz measurements on the side. I try and keep track of getting my fluids in. So far after 4 days of post op I'm up to 38 oz of Fluid. Mostly Water, some gatorade and juice.:eek:

hi i just had my banding on the 21st july i have done really well, you will probably find that day 2 you will just lay around and relax i was fine i could ring people if i needed them but i was out of hospital on day 2 so its up to you how long are you in hospital for.

susie

Slim - you should be fine. You may want someone to be on call just in case you are not up to it. But, I do not think hubby really needs to take two days off. Have everything close to you and take it easy. Remember to get up and walk each hour - it helps with gas and gets you back on your feet quicker. Good Luck!!!

You probably don't realllyyy need him on day two, but what the heck . . . we all need a little coddling from time to time. It would be pleasant just to have him there I think. My husband spoiled me for about a week and I really enjoyed it.

I am two weeks out. Day two was fine for me. My husband took off--but it would not have been absolutely necessary. I did not even lie down one time the whole day of day two. I was more comfortable sitting up. I did sit around and rest a lot but walked a lot too. Day three was my worst day--for hunger and for just feeling yucky. After that day, every day has been better and better.

Teacher, my husband originally only took day one off, but he called for day two as well. Most people do fine, but I couldn't get out of bed unassisted until day 4 (my 14 yr old helped after hubby went back to work). I couldn't go from lying down to sitting up. I didn't need a lot of help, but just enough that I couldn't do it unassisted. I was walking, doing laundry, cooking, but could NOT get out of bed! This will probably not be a problem for you, but if he can take off, you may appreciate it.

The most difficult thing for me day 2 was getting out of bed (the sitting up part). I could really feel my port for the 1st few days. But, I also had a hernia repaired at the same time, so that may have been why it was so difficult for me. Other than that, I felt great.

I stayed in the hospital overnight so my husband needed to take the two days off. I came home mid day and was glad he was there to help me get in and out of bed and just nice to have around.

I had outpatient surgery, so I got to come home right after surgery. The next day, I got up and cooked Breakfast for everyone (my parents were here, thinking that I'd need help with my four-year-old while hubby was working), did the dishes, and was generally up and doing the usual things. My parents could see that I was able to do everything fine, and that I wasn't in pain or having to take medication, so they packed up and left around lunch (they live six hours away). But that doesn't mean that YOU will be the same, I hope you have it easy but different people react differently, so really no one can tell you that you'll feel fine by day two. Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

I didnt need any help, apart from being driven home of course. I was done on a Friday so DH didnt have to take any time off work. My then 2 year old daughter went off with DH in the mornings to stay with my mum and he picked her up on his way home at night. But I was fine with my older two, making their lunches, driving them to school and basic light housework - just the tidying, dishes, folding clean washing etc. DH did the heavy stuff for a while but he didnt need to take time off work for that.

I did the overnight stay in the hospital as well. When I got home, I didn't really need him, but it was nice to have someone there urging me to keep up the walking and moving. And it was also nice to have someone pampering me instead of me being mom to everyone.