Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell Us About You!

Greetings!

I'm a police officer in a small southern MI town. My LapBand journey began when my sister-in-law started her prequalify evaluations. That's when I thought, "hey.... why don't I do that?" So I started the eval process in April and finished in May. Paperwork was sent to my insurance company on June 2nd and three weeks later I had my approval. My doc says he was very surprised how fast the process progressed for me. This has been a big year. We had a new baby in January, bought a new house in July, and now banded in August.

I got banded yesterday (Aug 4th) and it went so much easier than I had ever expected. I do have some discomfort. I would liken it to having severly overexercised though rather than pain. I have not had any strong pain meds. My surgery began at 7:30am and was done in an hour and 15 minutes. I was out walking the halls by 1pm.

The anesthesia did not make me nausiated, although I was told they gave me something to prevent that. The recovery nurse asked if I needed anything and I said, "Coffee!" She laughed and said, "you can't have coffee at all today - maybe tomorrow." Then the doc walked by and she asked him when I could first have coffee and he said, "go ahead and give it to him." So I was drinking a cup of coffee in the recovery room - which has had several shifts of nurses saying, "I can't believe you got coffee in the recovery room."

So now I'm waiting for the barium swallow so I can get out of here this morning. So I say to all of you yet to be banded: I know the process is unique to every individual and YMMV, but it was nowhere near as painful as I was prepared for.

Now, let the rest of the journey begin.....

Good luck all! Brad

Hey brad, Glad to hear you are doing well!!

You have confirmed one belief about police officers being coffee drinkers but I guess now you'll dispell the one about the donut eating :cool2:

Hello August All Stars, My name is Robin and I live in Louisiana. I am a administrative assistant for a mobile and modular building company. I'm married to my wonderful husband and have 2 children. My son is 9 years old and my daughter is 6 years old. I completed my 6 month pre op. diet and now have a surgery date of 8/21. I am very excited about becoming a loser and enjoying life with my family. Just the small things like being able to play with my children outside and not getting out of breath, going to the beach and feeling alright about wearing a bathing suit.

As it is getting closer to by band date, I am starting to get nervous. I keep praying that I am making the right decision.

i'm from Louisiana also. What city r u from?

My name is Candace. I am 35 years old and live in Shreveport, La. I have been married for 10 years and have 3 children. My daughter is 8, and I have 2 sons ages 6 and 3. I am a pharmacist. My screen name "legdxdlr" stands for "Legal Drug Dealer". I also have 2 cats and a long-haired weanie dog named "Yoda". My 6 year old is a huge Star Wars fan. He says that Yoda is sooo handsome. Yoda is his favorite character so now we have a dog named Yoda! I call him Yoda Man though! I was skinny until 5th grade, and then I was chubby till 8th grade. I tried out for the dance line in 7th grade and lost alot of weight during that summer. i was on the dance line all the way to college. i quit my 2nd year of college. Then I started gaining and gaining. On dance line, we had to weigh every wednesday at 2:00. If you gained more than 2 pounds, you didn't get to dance at the football game that week. It never happened to me, but it did to others that had to sit in the stands while everyone else performed. I stayed in shape because of all the practices outside in the heat and i also exercised alot on my on to make sure I didn't gain weight! There were some bulimic people on the team with me! I never agreed with their strict weight guidelines. We should have been judged on our performance and not a number on the scale! After I quit, i started eating and quit exercising! I thought that b/c i didn't have to step on a scale every week, i could do whatever i wanted! No one was going to tell me what i could eat anymore. Anyway, then i got in Pharmacy School and started stress eating etc.etc. and i have just kept on gaining weight. school, 3 kids etc. I definatley have an emotional eating problem. I'm getting tears in my eyes just typing this. A little over a year ago I joined L.A. Weight Loss and swore I was going to be thin by the time I turned 35. I proceeded to lose and regain 40 pounds! So that brings me here. i am having the lap-band August 13th! I am more scared that it's not going to work than I am of having the surgery itself. I have enjoyed reading everyone's stories. I hope I wasn't to long-winded.

Candace, did you go to Tulane for your PharmD or BSPharm? I worked for several years in student services at UNC School of Pharmacy. I have a special place in my heart for pharmacists :cool2:

Lanakila

Candace, did you go to Tulane for your PharmD or BSPharm? I worked for several years in student services at UNC School of Pharmacy. I have a special place in my heart for pharmacists :cool2:

Lanakila

I went to ULM(University of La at Monroe) formerly known as NLU ( Northeast Louisiana University) They changed the name after I graduated! It's still NLU to me though.

I went to ULM(University of La at Monroe) formerly known as NLU ( Northeast Louisiana University) They changed the name after I graduated! It's still NLU to me though.

Oh, and back then we just got B.S. degrees!

I dont think I have done an introduction! I am 27 years old and I live just outside of Providence, RI. I have a wonderful 4year old son who is ADHD/ODD so I need some energy to keep up with him sometimes. I live with my wonderful boyfriend of a year and a half. We made the big step to move in together this past April. THings have been going great!

I have been heavy since puberty. I then went to college (Northeastern University/UNLV) and majored in Biology. The weight kept coming on. I then got pregnant with my son and during my pregnancy, I developed Thyroid cancer so the weight kept coming on! So once I got my thyroids, and cancer removed. The next battle was controlling my thyroids so hence more weight. Not an easy process. So that is basically what landed me here after tons of attempts at weight loss!

I work as a QC lab supervisor in a hummus factory...Yummy...

I wish everyone the best of luck!

I also posted some before pictures in my profile for everyone to see!:thumbup: Heather

I have such an unlimited supply of hummus...My bf just tried it for the first time about a month ago and he goes through probably 3-5 8oz cups a week now.

Hi,

Dont think I ever introduced myself, so here it goes.

I am a mother of 3 boys, Jonah (13), Luke (almost 9), Caleb (5), and 1 princess Brianna (3). They are the joy in my life! Married to the sweetest guy I know for 14 years who puts up with my constant mood swings!

I am an Rn on a cardiac floor and love doing 3 twelve hour shifts,so I don't miss out on all the field trips and band concerts. I am lucky that my parents are able to schedule their work around mine so that they keep the kids and have never had to send them to daycare.

I was always a little overweight, but between having 4 kids and nursing (school and job), had allowed my weight to get out of control.

Was 251 before surgery and now 4 days later down to 238. Surgery was easy, but have had mixed emotions since. trying to distance myself from food and letting my husband handle meals (hes on vacation this week). Feel a little left out at times but keep telling myself that when I have the energy to swim,jump on the trampoline, and play footbal with them it will be worth it.Hope to make friends here, as my whole family and spouse are thin and dont have a clue!

My name is Gina, I'm a nurse and a single mom of 3; ages 16, 14, and 7. I live in San Antonio. I am scheduled to be banded by Dr. Carcamo at the Nix on August 19. I first started looking into weight loss surgery in 2001. I first tried to get approved in 2005. I changed jobs in 2007 and restarted the process with a different insurance company. I met all requirements but was denied. The denial was finally over turned and I now have a date. I'm glad to be getting this done before school starts.

Howdy Lap Band sisters and brothers my name is Greg and I am a Telecom Engineer who lives in NY and works in NJ. I am single and getting banded on the 14th: I have been fighting weight issues for most of my life although it has gotten much worse over the last ten years or so. My Cardiologist first suggested the band to me about 15 months ago and I decided early this year to pursue it, I am going to turn 50 this year and want to enter my 50’s moving in the right direction. I am still very happy with my decision but when I look in the mirror in the morning there is still a faint internal voice that wonders if I can pull this off after so many previous failures. However that voice is wrong; I along with all of us plan on being a success story by staying with the program. Good luck to all and it is going to be great sharing that success with you all.

HI! I'm Jeff (but I'm female) and I'm a nursing student in San Antonio TX. I'm 53 years old and this was a HUGE career change. I'm getting banded tomorrow, Aug 11, by Dr. Sonny Cavasos. I have gone from a little chubby kid to a starved teen to a little chubby 20-something to a morbidly obese 50-something. I have wanted the band since it came out and finally insurance and everything have aligned to help make it happen.

I have no kids, one lazy cat, one great husband I've been married to for 25 years this year. Like many of you, I want a more active lifestyle and have tried "diet" upon "diet", able to lose and then slowly regain what I lost, plus another 20 or so. I'm planning to work the band 10000% and I know if I do that, it will help bring me the success, and maintenance, I've looked for for 20 years!

Good luck to all!

Hey everybody

I was banded on August 1 and I am doing great. I have been heavy for as long as I can remember looking in the mirror at myself. I come for a family of heavy women on both sides, seriously they are all over 250 lbs. I have been married for almost 7 years and I have a daughter who will be 4 in September. I also have a dog who is my walking buddy.

I work in the International Logistics department for a major pharmaceutical and agricultural company. I have been there 10 years and I love my job.

I can't wait until I can shop in the "normal" department in stores, ride a bike with my daughter, and to be a healthier me.