Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

13 days post-op and feeling desperate

Helpppp! I need some positive words of encouragement. I can eat a large amount before i feel full. I am scareddd. when i first came out of surgery and for the following few days, it only took about 4 oz of food to fill me up. all the paperwork i have from the doc and dietician says to eat until i feel full or until i feel pressure. The problem is i can eat as much as i could before being banded and still don't feel pressure. It takes a lot to fill me up (3 cups easy). I do not eat and drink at the same time. I am eating what i am supposed to and i have 2 more wks before my first fill. I have gained back 5 lbs of the 12 i lost after surgery. I am really feeling discouraged and frustrated. I'm not ready to give up but am seeing it impossible to lose weight when i am allowed to eat this much. Did anyone else experience this before their first fill? PLEASE RESPOND. i need to know i am not alone in this.

I feel like you. I am 11 days out and I am needing more food to stay full. I hear of these people eating 1/2 cup of food spread over 30 minutes and I say...What!!! It only takes me 15 minutes and I am forcing myself to slow down. I am eating about 1-1/2 cup of Soup and still feel hungry after and then eat a sf pudding. I know we are supposed to eat only until "satisfied" and I know that I could probably walk away without starving but in my mind I want more and the problem is I can eat more and not feel anything. Some people say when you eat too fast or too much, you will feel like PBing or sliming, but everything goes down good. I have even tried some solid food (chewed well) and it goes down good. What is my problem. I paid too much money and been through too much pain to let this fail.

You shouldn't be feeling desperate 13 days postop. For the first 3 or 4 weeks after surgery you should only be on fluids. You may not be able to take in the full 4 oz. at one time but you can have unlimited fluids. You should not be eating solid food yet. You have to give your stomach time to heal.

I started soft, mushy foods on the fourth or fifth week after surgery.

After your first fill you should feel some restriction. Good luck.

Don't be discouraged! The most important thing right now is to stay on whatever diet your doctor has prescribed. Your band has no Fluid in it so after the swelling of the initial surgery goes down, it seems a lot of people ( me included) get really hunger. It's normal. It is just important to follow your doctors diet so that your stomach can heal.

I also gained weight back right after surgery. I think it was 5lbs also. But I later learned that it was because of all the fluid that the body retains after surgery.... it's all part of healing

I know it's frustrating and all but soon the weight will start to come off!! Good luck!!

Edited by tizen33
wanted to add something

I would call your doctor. I did not experiene this. I could eat more right before my band fill, 5 weeks, but up to that point I had lost 20 lbs. Linda in OHIO

I am pretty sure you have to do all the work on your own right now which means it may feel like you never had the surgery. :teeth_smile:

I know that is not what you want to hear, but that's what I figure. I just now (10 days po) started to get hunger at regular intervals (B/L/Dinner). Guess it is part of the process until we get our fills in.

Bhugs, it will get better!!

You are not alone. I was banded on the 11th and can eat quite a bit also. My Dr. started me on mushies 10 days post-op and I can eat a good 1 and 1/2 cups of food. They told me this would happen until my first fill. I was discouraged but I know in time I will have some restriction. I just try to make sure I get my fluids in and quit worrying about the amount of food I was eating. I was making myself crazy. Also, it will take time for us to learn this new way of life. We didn't get this way overnight and adjusting is going to take some time. Our brains need to catch up to our stomachs. I feel 95 percent of this journey is going to be mental. This in just my opinion and we are all different people. Good luck in your journey.

I was banded on 7/15/08 and my hunger level has increased as well. I think every dr. is different on what you are allowed to eat. Mine said progress to soft foods after a week and I am suppose to get my first fill on thurs. (only 14 days posy-op!). I am not sure why it is so diff., mine told me to do 1800 cal. until my 1st fill. I have noticed I am not losing as fast, but we just need to let the band work. Try to fill up on cottage cheese and soft cooked veggies that is what is helping me. You all are in my prayers, stay positive and surround yourself with encouraging people, and walk everyday! 18 lbs. down since 7/03/08:redface:,

I am about a month out, and my doctor switched me to solids after the second week. It's been no problem at all. The best tip I got from the nutritionist is the order of food that you eat affects how you feel. So, first Proteins, then veggies, then starches. Unless you're still on a liquid diet, Soup will not make you feel full. Proteins will take longer to process, thus stay in your stomach longer, and make you feel full faster.

Slow down your eating, eat a small snack between meals so you don't starve in between meals.

Paying attention to physical cues has also helped me "tune in". For example, when I am full, I burp. I stop immediately. I move the food away from me, because I know if I kept it near, I would eat it. When I hiccup, I know that the food has been processed and has moved on to the real stomach.

One last tip, change the plate you're eating on. I use a tea plate, and when I put the food on there, it looks like it's full. It's a trick, but seems to work.

At least that's what I do. Your mileage might vary. Good luck! Just be patient with yourself. There are lots of trials and errors, but you will eventually get the hang of it.

I am 10 days after surgery, and have been following everything to a tee..and I am starving. I am not able to drive because I am so hungry I can't focus and feel like I'm going to pass out. I know I can eat more than 4 oz..My doc didn't "fill" the band during surgery, it will be filled at 4 weeks...but all I can think of is how hungry I am. I am suppose to walk 30 minutes each day, but don't have the energy due to hunger...AHH, anyone else out there have the same problems?

You are not alone. Eat high Protein, fruit and vegies as much as possible. Limit the amounts of carbs you eat. Only brown rice, red potatoes, cream of wheat. If you count calories try and stick to 800-1k no more than 1200 calories a day. It does get better but takes time with fills.

Wow, I was on liquids still at this stage for you...then mushies and even then I had to make myself eat. I just wasn't hungry and didn't want much to do with food.

If you eat more Protein and less carbs and sugar it will keep your hunger level down. Maybe try and get a Protein shake in...good luck.

I felt the same & was very worried about slippage. I've had my first fill & there was no damage. The doctor told me they give you the liquid diets because they don't want you throwing up. I didn't have a problem with throwing up so I didn't hurt myself. Also, you won't lose weight or fill restriction until your first fill. If you do lose weight at first - its mostly Water because of the liquid diet & some will come back. I'm doing well now & I'm losing an average of 2 lbs per week.