Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have Surgery Date! - LBL

Hi KD,

Did you have your LBL last week as planned? How did it all go?

Karen G, not too long now are you getting excited?

Ellen, I'm sooooooo jealous -- according to Nina soon you will have the best ass in all of Europe. Not fair, I want one too :cursing:!

Yes I am getting very very excited!! Super busy getting things wrapped up at work. My nervousness has peaked and now I am in prep mode! Any tips are greatly appreciated. Did you really have 18lbs removed during your tt? My surgeon said 5-9lbs with a lbl and I am wondering if she is being conservative in order to avoid dissapointment! She said I shouldn't worry but that I will definately make goal at this point.

Karen and Frangi,

Sorry I haven't replied. I was having a hard time sitting at the computer for more than a few minutes and my brain wasn't cooperating with my fingers.

I did have LBL, Lipo, breast reduction and lift last week. I am getting around pretty well now although I told the hospital I thought I was going to have to stay there forever last week (I was there for 2 nights.) I had the drains and stiches removed today. I'm amazed at the difference. I haven't seen a flat stomach since my teens.

I went to lunch with my DH after my doctor's appointment and ran to one small store, but that was about all I could handle. I couldn't wait to get home to the recliner!

WOW! How are you sleeping? I am wondering how I will get comfortable after the LBL. Do you know how much skin they rempoved? Did you eat lunch out in a restaurant? sounds like you are doing great actually and it gives me hope!

Yes I am getting very very excited!! Super busy getting things wrapped up at work. My nervousness has peaked and now I am in prep mode! Any tips are greatly appreciated. Did you really have 18lbs removed during your tt?

Hi Karen,

No, I only had 4 pounds removed from my TT -- the other 14 was simply weight that dropped off rapidly within a month post-op.

I'm glad to hear that your nervousness has peaked, because I'm sure this will all go well for you. My surgeries were much easier than I ever expected them to be.

If you read the first few pages of my (and Becky's) PS thread, there are some really great tips about what items to stock up on before surgery. The ladies were really helpful -- and their suggestions were invaluable.

Let me know if there is any other info I can help out with :wink2::smile::wink:!

KD,

Great to hear from you! I've been thinking about you and wondering how it all went. I'm so glad to hear you're on the mend now. Isn't it completely amazing to have a flat tummy? I still can't believe I have one!!!!

How does the backside feel? That's what I'm having done on Tuesday.

I have not been sleeping that well. My doctor did prescribe a sleeping pill and I'm sure it helped, but I was awake multiple times every night. The first couple nights I slept in the recliner and I think the 3rd night home I slept in bed for a while and then the recliner the rest of the night. Since then, I've been in bed the whole night. I'm a side sleeper, but I've been on my back since the surgery. I use one pillow for my head and one under my knees. That seems to be the best I can do to get comfortable. I can't wait to get to sleep on my side again. I think I could now, but it doesn't feel quite as comfortable yet. I may be just paranoid about the incisions.

I did eat lunch out in a restaurant yesterday. I sat in a booth. I figured that would be easier than the wooden chairs they had at the other tables. I have to say, the backside was the most painful part of the surgery for the first week. Now I'm feeling the muscle tightening in the stomach area more.

I'm going out today again. We are going to eat out again then I hope to find a new bra because the one the hospital gave me is killing me! I hope I can find one quickly, because I was pretty worn out last night.

I hope today goes as well as yesterday, but I haven't been up very long and feel like I should go back to bed. Wish me energy!

I have not been sleeping that well. My doctor did prescribe a sleeping pill and I'm sure it helped, but I was awake multiple times every night. The first couple nights I slept in the recliner and I think the 3rd night home I slept in bed for a while and then the recliner the rest of the night. Since then, I've been in bed the whole night. I'm a side sleeper, but I've been on my back since the surgery. I use one pillow for my head and one under my knees. That seems to be the best I can do to get comfortable. I can't wait to get to sleep on my side again. I think I could now, but it doesn't feel quite as comfortable yet. I may be just paranoid about the incisions.

I did eat lunch out in a restaurant yesterday. I sat in a booth. I figured that would be easier than the wooden chairs they had at the other tables. I have to say, the backside was the most painful part of the surgery for the first week. Now I'm feeling the muscle tightening in the stomach area more.

I'm going out today again. We are going to eat out again then I hope to find a new bra because the one the hospital gave me is killing me! I hope I can find one quickly, because I was pretty worn out last night.

I hope today goes as well as yesterday, but I haven't been up very long and feel like I should go back to bed. Wish me energy!

UGH! I have sleeping problems in the best of circumstances so I totally feel you pain. I hope that you are feeling better today than yesterday and thank you so much for sharing your experience. Get some rest and lots of energy!

K

Yes I am getting very very excited!! Super busy getting things wrapped up at work. My nervousness has peaked and now I am in prep mode! Any tips are greatly appreciated. Did you really have 18lbs removed during your tt?

Hi Karen,

No, I only had 4 pounds removed from my TT -- the other 14 was simply weight that dropped off rapidly within a month post-op.

I'm glad to hear that your nervousness has peaked, because I'm sure this will all go well for you. My surgeries were much easier than I ever expected them to be.

If you read the first few pages of my (and Becky's) PS thread, there are some really great tips about what items to stock up on before surgery. The ladies were really helpful -- and their suggestions were invaluable.

Let me know if there is any other info I can help out with :):smile::)!

KD,

Great to hear from you! I've been thinking about you and wondering how it all went. I'm so glad to hear you're on the mend now. Isn't it completely amazing to have a flat tummy? I still can't believe I have one!!!!

How does the backside feel? That's what I'm having done on Tuesday.

I hope that your backside goes well and will be looking forward to hearing how you do!

Thanks for all of your words and wisdom! Why is it that you lost 14lbs so quickly after surgery?? Did you ever figure that out? I would love to have that happen :)

I will check out your earlier thread for the tips you tell me about. I need all the help I can get.

Best of luck to you this week!

Karen,

I went back to work yesterday at 2 weeks post op. I have a desk job so I thought I would be ready. I ended up working only about 6 - 7 hours. I was pretty sore and couldn't wait to get home and take meds. During the night, I woke up and my back was hurting pretty bad.

I don't know what type work you do, but I see you're planning on taking off 3 weeks. I think you'll be glad you did.

I love the work that I've had done. I think it was too much at once, so I think I'm recouperating slower than most, but I'm doing good. I convinced the doctor I was ok to go back at 2 weeks since I have a desk job, but I should have waited at least 3 weeks. I am lucky enough that I didn't have to stay the entire day. I worked about 6 hours Wednesday and Thursday and 4 on Friday. This long weekend couldn't have come at a better time either with only 4 days work next week. I'm still taking pain meds (much less than in the beginning) as soon as I get home and before bed. I'm not taking them during the day.

KarenG,

I keep thinking about your upcoming surgery. I'm sure you're getting both excited and nervous. I'm almost 3 weeks out now. I'm feeling much better now. I mostly have back pain now. I'm probably trying to do too much. The first 2 weeks I most took meds and slept. Some things I don't remember. My DH said I was really hateful. I'm not a good patient.

If you have any questions, let me know.

KD - I have TONS of questions about your LBL! How did you do with stairs? If you did have a problem with stairs how long until you felt more comfortable. I live in a 4th floor walk up and am staying with my parents until I feel ok on my own - this prospect is making me almost as nervous as the pain! What is your most painful part? How long until you could shower?

Also, for the good stuff - do you know how much skin they removed? As you can see I am 1lb from goal and my PS said I shouldn't worry about making it but I am still interested! Also, are you still pretty swollen? Have you noticed a redcuction in terms of inches/sizes yet?

K

Karen,

Are you going to stay overnight at the hospital? I was there 2 nights and really had a hard time getting up from the hospital bed. I had more procedures than you are having, so hopefully it won't be as hard on you. I do remember being afraid how I would get into the house because I have about 8 stairs, but I took the pain meds right before we left and although I was sore, I did make it. Once inside, I didn't need to go up or downstairs. I didn't go out again until I had my first follow up at the doctors office, which would have been another 4 days. I didn't have any trouble with going down the stairs, but getting in and out of the car wasn't comfortable at that point. I did sleep 2 nights in a recliner once I got home. It was just easier than getting up from the bed. The third night home, I started out in the recliner and went to bed about half way through the night. By then, I was able to hold on to the headboard with my right hand and use my left on the nightstand to push myself up.

I think walking up 4 flights of stairs would be really hard. I'm sure that you'll be glad you're staying with your parents for a while, even with the stress that brings. I think even though I was able to get around better the second week, I felt a little weak and almost like I could pass out at times. My DH didn't seem to understand that he needed to stay right with me if we went out on a short trip. I was getting around ok, so he thought all was fine. I knew when I started to feel that way it was time to find him, get back to the car and get home. I have to say for me I feel like I just lost 2 weeks of my life. I slept so much off and on that I really don't remember much. It seemed to go by so fast then I was going back to work. I'm glad your taking off 3 weeks. I should have.

Speaking of work, I should be getting ready to leave right now. I'll answer your other questions after I get home this evening.

Edited by KD8888
typo

I am having the LBL, hernia repair and port is getting moved. I am spending one night in the hospital.

UGH your pain is starting to scare me! My parents have a recliner and so do I but I am not dying to sleep in it - leather not so cozy. Do you think it will be impossible to get into bed for me? I really want to be in my own apartment within a few days....

I didn't mean to scare you. I think I had more pain because I had too much done at once. I didn't think the recliner would be comfortable either, but I couldn't have done without my leather recliner the first couple nights. My bed is a little high, which made it harder for me to get out of when I needed to get up. If you are getting around fairly well, you should be able to sleep in your bed. You'll know when you are ready to get back to your apartment. Just have help line up when you need it.

I actually felt pretty good at work today. By the time I got home, I just wanted to take a nap.

I am still swelling. I notice it more in the evening and more if I have been more active. I have a follow up appointment this Thursday. I need to ask more questions about what to expect regarding swelling in the coming weeks. I was able to purchase a pair of size 8 jeans that zip/button, but I'm afraid to buy much at this point (or at least for a few more weeks.) I carried most of my weight through the middle. Previously, I could only wear pants that had an elastic waist, so a regular pair of jeans was huge for me.

Congratulations on being so close to goal. I'm sure you'll be below goal when you have your surgery and you'll be really happy with your results. I think I need to readjust my goal. I just haven't been able to get rid of that number in my head. One day at a time!