Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low-Carb and NOT loving it!

Two things happened today!

We paid for our procedures. So it seems like the surgeries are REALLY going to happen now.

And we had to start our 2 week low-carb diet.

I can go days without eating meat. Just give me potatoes, bread, rice, and pasta! So this is a big adjustment to me. I can't have sugar. And I can't have fruit! Just meats, cheeses, and veggies - excluding corn, peas, and taters, of course.

Thus far, my co-worker sitting 5 feet away from me who knows about the surgery has taunted me by eating popcorn, a big bowl of fruit, and an ice cream sandwich. I want to throw things at her!

Not even 24 hours in and I'm already being a big 'ol baby!

Does anyone have any tips on things I can bring to work to eat for lunch and snack on? I have to eat at my desk and get about 5 minutes max to heat things up, so I'm at a loss on what to get, especially with fruits being out. What did you eat on the low-carb diet, if you were put on one?

Sorry, just had to whine there for a bit! :smile2:

do you want me to come and beat her up...cause i will....j/k

i had surgery today..let me tell you Water and chicken broth, worse than low carb...i am so like you thats why i had to respond to your post...days without meat, been there!!! i'd make macoroni, no need for meat, that would be the meal..

i snacked on string cheese and sugar free Jello, i'd make a nice chef salad sometimes for lunch, it had boiled eggs, cheese, turkey, ham...hopefully you get some more ideas!

good luck!

I am like you but I also like meat. My dinner plate always looked empty without a carb on it. My favorite dinner (lunch the next day) was grilled chicken breast with salsa and grated cheddar on top and a side dish of broccoli. YUM! I also made Soup with chicken broth and grated cheddar (mock potato soup) and cauliflower. When the cauliflower was cooked good, I ran it through my ricer and it resembled rice in the soup. I know its a mind game but it was good and I had a cup at lunch.< /p>

my favorite desk snack was these items:

The Bumble bee thai one was spicy and sweet.

BumbleBee Products - Listing of Ready to Eat Meals Products | BumbleBee.com

tuna_prod_19_burst.jpg tuna_prod_17_burst.jpg(I hope the pictures show up)

And these (this may sound grose but they are the BOMB) ostrich/beef sticks. My fav was BBQ:

Ostrim Beef & Ostrich Snack (10 sticks)

I thought it was kind of fun taking on the challenge of finding low carb high Protein food.

Also, go to: bariatriceating.com they have tons of cool stuff.

Thanks everyone!

I think one of my biggest problems is I've been living on fast food for so long that I have trouble thinking about what REAL food is out there. I work from 3p-11p and for the longest time I've just been stopping and grabbing something here and there.

We're cleaning out the fridge and pantry tonight and I'm going to go roam Walmart or Target for all the low-carb things I can find.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I know I have it better than the liquid dieters, I'm just being a brat right now. I'll get over it!

You can eat hard boiled eggs, string cheese, cottage cheese, lunch meat rolled up, veges and low carb dip, salads with meat and cheese, tuna salad stuffed in a Tomato, chicken salad, there is low carb yogurt, which is actually really good! There is also low carb bread, Sara Lee Delightful Wheat. You could have shrimp cocktail, fish, lobster, etc. There really are alot of options. There is a low carb thread in the food and nutrition forum, check that one out, there's alot of good ideas on there. Good luck!

Need a sweet tooth fixer??? The "Mock Danish" is excellent (1 beaten egg w/2 oz softened cream cheese, splash of vanilla, and a packet (or 2) of splenda), I mix together and microwave for about 1 minute. Tastes is very similar to the real deal. Also, depending on your restrictions (fat content/calorie intake) another sweet treat for my dh & I was ricotta cheese with splenda and splash of vanilla (or any other flavoring added...SF chocolate is good in it too.)

Good luck, in time the cravings will pass.

If you get tired of eggs...Mock Egg salad can be made with Cottage Cheese and a splash of mustard and SF Pickle Relish.