Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Negative thoughts here...

What I am scared of is the feeling of being hungry and not being able to eat slow something I need to learn.

I actually feel the same way. There have been times where I come home from work and cook then when I get to the table to eat I am so hungry that I have gone to fast some times and paid for it. I am trying though.

This is another great post. I have no restriction yet and have not had a fill and it's frustrating so I can certainly relate.

What happen's when you hit the "sweet spot" does that stay forever or does that change over time. 5 years out???

Guest Leslie2Lose

bombaman. It depends on the person. You may have to get another adjustment (fill). As you lose weight the fat around your stomach decreases - so the band may become looser, thus you need to get it tightened. It depends on your makeup. Everyone is different.

bombaman. It depends on the person. You may have to get another adjustment (fill). As you lose weight the fat around your stomach decreases - so the band may become looser, thus you need to get it tightened. It depends on your makeup. Everyone is different.

That makes sense. So what happens if the person runs out of adjustment?

Guest Leslie2Lose

My doctor actually gives 9 free adjustments (fills or unfills) every calendar year. If I need more than that I'd have to pay out of pocket. I think different doctors charge different rates and some may be covered under insurance. You'd have to check with your doctor and insurance provider.

I actually feel the same way. There have been times where I come home from work and cook then when I get to the table to eat I am so hungry that I have gone to fast some times and paid for it. I am trying though.

YOU and I are on the same page I think how neat LOL!! I go in 2 days I am so nervous!

i'm having the same learning issue - i was in a hurry to eat before going out last night and i had left over chicken. not much but it must have been too dry. first time ever sliming. yuck. i had pain and thought oh i have to eat so i can leave so i just slowed down and chewed more. WRONG. i should have stopped eating with the first pain. i paid with the sliming but after 10 minutes, all was well and i left the house for my appointment. just had liquid Protein last to make sure i had some nutrition! today, i hope to be a little smarter after this experience!

i'm trying to 'embrace hunger' in that i don't treat it as urgent - it's just a message that i do need to eat something soon. not right this minute. i have hypoglycemia and before surgery hunger meant imminent low blood sugar so eat immediately. and now, i am just hungry. not having a low that forces me to eat right away. it's interesting how the low blood sugar has gone away!

YOU and I are on the same page I think how neat LOL!! I go in 2 days I am so nervous!

Remember keep me posted. I go on the 7th. Try not to be nervous it should not hurt. I think I am more nervous about learning to eat less and getting it right so as not to get anything stuck.

When you get that tightness in your upper chest while eating -- the very best thing to do is STOP. Until that food passes through the pouch, you will just exacerbate the situation by eating more and filling up that pouch. At that point, there is only one way to relieve the pressure. Upchuck. And believe me, you don't want to go there!

thanks fluffycat! a lesson well learned believe me! i don't want to do that again if i can help it - and i can if i listen to my body and the band!

I have put off getting a fill i think because i am scared! i thought surgery would be the hardest part. I went in naive and panic'ed at the last minute when i realized what the dr was going to do. now, i think i am scared to commit to a life change. i really enjoy eating--cooking, tasting, all of it. i don't think i can give it up forever.

FluffyCat,

I have not had my fill yet. I go 8/7 for my first one. I am scared because now the eating correctly really starts. So I can understand how you feel because I worry about that too. But I did not do this to go half way ecspecially since I am self pay. We can do this, lots of other people have so we can too. We will have to concentrate on what we are doing to get the job done. food is my friend so I am working on trying to find a better way to deal with things ie stress, bordum, etc. So I know it will be hard but we did not sign up to go at this part of the way. We can do this just Take it one day at a time and Take it slow.

Hello,

Just wanted to post an update on me. I had lap band surgery on April 17th, 2008. I have lost a total of 51 pounds including the post-op weight loss. I have had 2 fills and am scheduled for another one this month. I am still eating too much of the wrong things. I need to get back on track and behave myself.

:wink2:

I was banded on 7/7 and had my first band on 7/31. My fill was a good experience and 1 1/2 dayed stayed on liquids.< /p>

I had a really stressful day all day yeaterday dealing with old family issues and when I when everyone finally left, I had that tremendous urge to get rid of all those feelings by stuffing myself. I had not eaten all day because I knew I was being 'watched' only one Protein Shake in the morning, so off I went and thing is I stayed with mushies and was able to keep it in. I mean it was a famililiar feeling that I am so working on getting rid of. At the time, it did make me feel so much better. I feel miserable and full this morning. New day, onward, just wondering how you guys deal with this and if you have experiences like this.

Sorry to hear about your stressful day. You said you were being watched, who is watching, and do they have the right? It is hard to deal with family issues right now especially. We just have to try to think of ourselves and our health. Stress will cause problems for us that is for sure. You might have to be assertive with whomever you need to be.

Jean