Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Blood Pressure after the Band?

Hi All,

I was banded on 3/3 of this year and I have lost 42 pounds since the surgery. My blood pressure was borderline high before the surgery and went back to normal after the surgery. Suddenly, almost 5 months out, I have high blood pressure again. My doctors seem to be at a loss as to why this is happening especially since I've lost a pretty good amount of weight.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm on blood pressure meds now for the first time in my life and was fine prior to surgery and now am 11 months post-op. Nanook.

Wow, ok...so I am not the only one here. Thanks...I guess it could be a number of things (including stress and Water retention too).

I'm on blood pressure meds now for the first time in my life and was fine prior to surgery and now am 11 months post-op. Nanook.

Hi All,

I was banded on 3/3 of this year and I have lost 42 pounds since the surgery. My blood pressure was borderline high before the surgery and went back to normal after the surgery. Suddenly, almost 5 months out, I have high blood pressure again. My doctors seem to be at a loss as to why this is happening especially since I've lost a pretty good amount of weight.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Me too. I had low blood pressure before surgery, after I lost about 60-70 pounds my BP went up and I was on meds for a bit. It's back to normal now and I don't take any meds.

SO weird...My bp was ALWAYS Normal 120/80. I have had LOW bp problems since surgery. I went in for lab work today and get to do a cardio work up (yay me)

Edited by Laurinda

Sadly not all cases of high blood pressure are fixed by weight loss. Some peple *do* have high blood pressure simply because their hearts are struggling to pump the blood through their bodies, but many have high blood pressure becuase they just do. For many there are genetic and physiological causes that are not related to their weight and cannot be fixed by changing their weight. Many thin people have high blood pressure and require medication to control it.

The same goes for our cholesterol levels. Some people will always have high cholesterol and need to be medicated for it.

So if you need to medicate to keep it at normal levels, then do so. It sucks to have to be on blood pressure meds, but it often cant be fixed simply by weight loss.

Look on the bright side. If you have to live with one risk factor (the high bp) at least you will have eliminated another (the obesity). You can still be way healthier and lower risk for heart disease than a lot of other people!

It might also be completely transitory and will clear up, fingers crossed for you that this is the case.

I've had HPB for about 15 years, always under control with medication. After the surgery, at my fill appts, I noticed it was way up, like 160 over 100. Went to my doc, said what's the deal? She added a diuretic to my meds, now it's back under control. Her explanation for it....I'm getting old! Ugh, so not what I wanted to hear, lol! She says with more weight loss, it might go down, but as said by another poster, it just might be the way it is!

Tina

I agree that HBP can strike anyone- even thin people. I guess I was taken off guard by this because I have always been able to control it by losing weight- but this time that isn't working.

So last night I went and bought a blood pressure machine to keep at home, as WebMD suggests keeping a log at home since you may be calmer than in a Doctor's office. Sure enough last night my blood pressure was 116 over 81. That's pretty darn close to normal! I will keep tracking it at home and periodicaly at the doctor's.

Thanks for all the good advice!

Rukshanna:thumbup:

Sadly not all cases of high blood pressure are fixed by weight loss. Some peple *do* have high blood pressure simply because their hearts are struggling to pump the blood through their bodies, but many have high blood pressure becuase they just do. For many there are genetic and physiological causes that are not related to their weight and cannot be fixed by changing their weight. Many thin people have high blood pressure and require medication to control it.

The same goes for our cholesterol levels. Some people will always have high cholesterol and need to be medicated for it.

So if you need to medicate to keep it at normal levels, then do so. It sucks to have to be on blood pressure meds, but it often cant be fixed simply by weight loss.

Look on the bright side. If you have to live with one risk factor (the high bp) at least you will have eliminated another (the obesity). You can still be way healthier and lower risk for heart disease than a lot of other people!

It might also be completely transitory and will clear up, fingers crossed for you that this is the case.

Weird I couldn't figure out what happened either.. The day of my surgery my BP was 150/68. The last couple doctor trips it has went up and up... Yesterday was 189/112 ... Cause for concern. I have a recheck and then I am going to be put on meds at 32.. Lets hope it's just temporary. I weigh 220 and I am down 40 pounds.

From what I understand, blood pressure becomes "labile" (goes up and down between high and normal) and does this for a while before going high and staying high at every reading. I would ask your surgeon to be safe, but I doubt it's related to the band. And unless you're eating an Atkins-style low carb diet, I would say it's unrelated to the diet either. (Speaking from personal experience, I lost 50 pounds on Atkins but developed high blood pressure at the same time - I went off Atkins and gained the weight back, but my blood pressure went back down.)