Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being Banded next week...have questions

Hi,

I'm new to the group. I am scheduled to be banded at the end of the month (july 31rst) and am curious that I am making the right choice.

Can anyone tell me if and how it has changed your quality of life. How do you enjoy foods or dining out at restaurants? If you have kids, do they notice the amounts you eat or ask questions about your food intake?

I am hesitent to be on supplements for the rest of my life but I am also tired of all of the symptoms of PCOS and eventually would like to have a child. Right now I am told that I am sterile but reducing my body weight (230lbs)by 5% will help. Does anyone have any helpful comments. Please let me know.

By the way I am self pay and have to pay $16,000+ for the surgery.

2ndtonone1:

I was alot heavier than you, starting at 324. My life has improved tremendously and my Daughter can stop worrying about my weight now. It's been such a relief to her to see Mom getting healthier.

As far as restaurants. I can honestly say that I don't really enjoy going to restaurants anymore. Occasionally I do go to restaurants and I eat "safe foods" - Soup, mashed potatoes, squash. Even though I'm a year out I still have issues occasionally with eating too fast and it happens most when I don't pay attention. It's hard to pay attention and be sociable at the same time - for me.

I love my band and it's the best thing I've done for me in 20+ years.

Good luck.

Sue

Hi 2nd,

First of all let me congratulate you on making a decision to be a better you. I was banded last October and have lost 63 lbs. I was having back trouble and was supposed to have surgery last summer but something told me not to do it. Instead I started looking into the band, even tho I had high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and back trouble my insurance wouldn't cover it so I too was self-pay. My periods were so sporadic the Drs told me I was going through menopause at 45, now mind you not that I miss them but it sure made me feel pretty darned old. Anyway I knew if my life and health was this bad now what in the world was it going to be like in my 50s and 60's there was still a lot I wanted to do with my life and this was the turning point. It took losing about 15 lbs and my periods started again and have been as regular as clock work (my nurse told me that a lot of women find themselves pregnant after getting banded cause it starts you ovulating regularly, now for some people this is wonderful) After about 30 lbs my sleep apnea had decreased and keeps going down as my weight goes. I have reduced my blood pressure pills and I have more energy. This is the first summer in 10 years I have worn shorts outside of my home. To have people comment on how you look and knowing that I am doing what I can to make my life better is a good feeling. There are days when of course nothing is going to make you feel good (even skinny people have those days). I started riding a stationary bike and little by little have been able to increase how far and long I ride. I have also started walking/jogging. The first time I went from a fast walk to a jog I couldn't believe it. I was actually running and it felt GOOD:biggrin:

Please remember the band is a tool to help you lose weight and it will not come off overnight. It is a long hard road but if you have made the commitment to yourself that you are ready for the change then by all means go for it. However if you are not willing to follow your Drs. instructions and change your eating habits then maybe it isn't for you. Whatever you choose think long and hard about it. Good luck and will look forward to your updates. This is a very good place to get advice and support.

You say you are hesitant to be on supplements for the rest of your life. Is this due to PCOS?? You should still be eating as much of healthy food as you need, and probably better balanced than you are getting now. You dont NEED bread in your diet for nutrition, so your body wouldnt miss it and other non nutritive carbs nutrition wise.

Losing the weight will not only make it easier to get pregnant, but it will make it easier for you to keep up with a child, which takes a lot of energy to do right.

I guess you choose not to go to Mexico, I paid less than half what you are and feel I got better medical care than in the U.S. I was self pay too, so I choose not to pay extra for a surgery I felt non risky. For later plastic surgery, I think Id choose to have it done closer to home.