Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how much silene in 14 cc band

hi i want to know how much saline u need ina 14 cc band before u feel restriction as i only have 6 .5 at moment but feel no restriction i go for third fill on wednesday i hope i feel a bit of restriction at moment i do not feel any thing at all

Edited by saima
spelling was not right

saima - sorry you are having difficulties. Personally, I ended up with about 12cc in my 10cc band before feeling I had gotten to a restriction level that didn't "dissapear" after a few days. HOWEVER, each person is completely different. I have another friend that was banded over 7 years ago (albeit with a 4 cc band) and only ever had one fill.

It really all depends on how much "fatty tissue" is between your band and your stomach. They use to tunnel through that fatty layer to place the band directly against the stomach wall but found that the complication rate was much lower if they left the fatty layer intact.

My own non-medical you get what you're paying for it opinion is that the trade off for fewer complications unfortunately seems to be the need for more fills that first year than with the old technique.

I hate to say it but this may just be what many refer to as bandster hell. Still you need to be proactive and ask your doctor questions, ask if he has checked that your original fill is still in the band or if there seems to be less Fluid than the charts say there should be which could indicate a leak. And if you truly can eat absolutely anything in any quantity such as an entire pizza in one sitting you may want to push for tests to make sure there aren't any problems with the placement of the band. In my 2+ years on the board I have heard of around 4 people who found there band had not been properly "locked" and was therefore not giving any restriction whatsoever. With over 30,000 members on this site that's a pretty uncommon problem it is still worth checking like I said if you can still really everything in site and not just more than you think you should be able to. (though I don't read every post and not all bandsters post here)

I had a 14cc band put in on 23 April and am up to 6cc's on my fills, with little to no restriction. My doctor is conservative and will only do 1cc a visit every two weeks till you get to where you need to be. So hopefully soon I will feel the restriction everyone talks about. I go for my 4th fill on the 29th.

i'm at 9 in a 14cc band and finally feeling it. i had it june 9th and things are still tight...maybe my sweet spot?

thanx every one for replying back so im not a lone who is not feeling restriction yet after 6 5 in band one day hope fully i will i hope its on the third fill i wish that i feel it as im desperate to lose weight i am 7 months post op and not lost a single pound apart from the pre op in fact i have put it all back on

How did you get your dr to put in 12 cc in a 10cc band? How does that work? I am 9.2 cc in a 10 cc band. They take out the Fluid everytime and check the amount to make sure I don't have a leak. I have very little restriction. It's so hard not to get discouraged about it. I want to be one of those who get 3 or 4 fills and they feel restriction. My dr. actually PA said if this fill doesn't kick in they are going to do an upper GI and ck the band. Has anyone ever heard that a dr. may have put too large of a band on someone and had to go in and put a smaller band???

I know many women that have ended up with more than 10cc in a band labeled for 10cc. From what I understand I guess that is just a guideline not a unbreakable rule.

Speaking of "unbreakable" I have heard stories of doctors playing with unused bands in their office trying to see how much they could put in a band before it burst like a Water balloon. Supposedly the doctors were able to put in over 150cc and it never broke. I'm not saying the band couldn't break just that it would be impossible for a doc to put enough saline in a banded patient for it to burst.

I had a 14cc band put in on 23 April and am up to 6cc's on my fills, with little to no restriction. My doctor is conservative and will only do 1cc a visit every two weeks till you get to where you need to be. So hopefully soon I will feel the restriction everyone talks about. I go for my 4th fill on the 29th.

My doctor is very conservative, too, and will only put in 1 cc at a time. I also have a 14 cc band and so far have 6 cc's total.

I'm finding that I am hungry after only 3 to 4 hours after eating a small meal. My doc only wants me to eat 3 meals a day, and he considers a small snack (even one potato chip) a meal, so no between meal Snacks are allowed. Yes, I have been "disobedient" but I cannot help the hunger in between meals. I am stuck at a 25 lb. (well, now back down to 22 lbs.) weight loss and haven't lost anything more in over a month. I just got a fill July 3rd, and my next appointment is not until August 14th. Does anyone agree that I should see my doctor sooner to get another fill?

I feel a little discouraged now, especially since I had to go through 2 surgeries with this band.
:crying:

I am very tight. Can only get down hot liquids right now. Had Lobster Bisque yesterday for dinner. I am up to 9 in a J & J. I do not know if I am too tight or if this is perfect. I can not drink cool liquids only warm or hot. Let me know? Thanks

We are obviously not doctors but you definitely sound too tight to me. I lived with a fill that was too tight for over a year even though I knew better. Trust me it is NOT worth it. Despite common sense it slows or even stops your weight loss and can put you at higher risk for serious complications such as band slippage.

Please do as I say and not as I did and talk to your doc about whether you need an unfill.

Called my fill Dr. She said give it a few days and see if things inprove. She asked me could I swallow my spit. Ofcourse I can. She thinks I will be ok. She said do the hot liquids for a couple days and then go to full liquids on Wed and give her a call then. Thank you for your advice. It is always good to hear from people that have experienced it. Did you go thru the stage where you could not drink cool liquids as well? What did you finally do?

I'm glad the doc was able to reassure you. I hope I didn't come across as trying to intentionally scare you or be over dramatic. I've just had a couple friends recently with some serious complications to being too tight. On the other hand I've known many that put up with fill too tight for months like myself with minimal problems.

In my case I could drink cold drinks but it would quickly give me terrible heartburn, and after being too tight for so long I found I was slowly being able to eat more but still suffering from the bad heartburn and acid reflux at night. My weight loss was non-existant and I was very frustrated. When I finally went in and spoke to my doc in depth he said that it sounded like I had streched out my esophagus and took out nearly all my fill. Sure enough I haven't had a single case of heartburn or reflux since then and he will start refilling me in about a month after giving my esophagus a chance to heal.

I was banded on May 13th with a 14cc band. I've had two fills and am up to 8 1/4 cc's. I feel restriction big time. It's to the point now where I don't ever feel hungry. Looking at the clock or going by my emotions tells me it's time to eat. Saturday I was so crabby and didn't know why. I realized that I should eat something, but I wasn't hungry, per se. I had something to eat and realized I was starving, I just didn't FEEL it. Weird.

Hey, I wanted to thank you so much for your advice and experience. I went to my fill person and she took out .5 and I feel great. Lost 6 lbs in the process. However I am so glad I wrote to you people. You are awesome. Your advice gave me the courage to do what is right. Thanks again.