Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering lap band, but I have concerns~

I am just starting the process to get approved for the lap band, but I have some concerns. I am 28 years old, and I started gaining weight about 7 years ago. I've never really had a weight problem, I have always been athletic and I work out like crazy.

My BMI is 37%, but I fall under the criteria of being at least 35% with other complications. I had a rare thing happen after my daughter was born...I went into post partum Congestive Heart Failure because of the excessive Water retention. I also am considered to have high blood pressure but am not on meds.

Has anyone else been in a similar position, gaining weight because of a condition, then having the lap band? What kind of results can I expect, and how fast?

I can't think of anything else I can do to lose this weight. I am 5'4 and 215, I have about 85 pounds that I need to lose, and I have done nothing but gain weight because of PCOS, but didn't know why until 2 years ago.

I really just dont know what else to do....any thought are welcomed!

The lap band is only going to help you if you've gained weight because of eating too much and not being able to stop. All the lap band does is force you to eat less. So if you think there is some other reason for your weight gain then it probably won't work. On the other hand you could be in denial. I was never overweight and then I had babies. I exercized a lot but could never lose the weight, I honestly thought it was because of my thyroid disease. I was 210 when I got the surgery and I am 5'7. In 7 months I lost about 40 pounds. It wasn't until after the surgery that I realized I had been sabotaging my weight loss by the amount of food I ate. I had no idea. Having the surgery was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Hi!

I also have a lower BMI, of 36.something and am scheduled to have my lapband surgery on March 9, 2009. I am so EXCITED! I do have some co-morbidities, such as sleep apnea and pre-diabetes (PCOS related).

I also have PCOS and started gaining my weight in my 20s. From everything that I have researched, read, and spoke with the surgeon about, the Lapband will help you to lose weight with PCOS. This is because of insulin-resistance being the big contributor to weight-gain in PCOS sufferers. The band will help you to not only control your food portions, but it will also slow down the release of carbohydrates into your system, thus, not allowing your body experience such rushes of glucose into your system.

I believe that this surgery is going to HELP me to change my life!

:thumbup:

Hi

I'm going thru the steps now to become banded... I have sleep apnea and high blood pressure.. I've been on meds for 2yrs now.. I am 5'3 215 with a bmi of 38.1.. On 2/25 I had my lab testing, pscy and nutrition evaluations.. On 04/01 I meet with Dr and the nutritionist, she wants me to lose 2-3lbs.. If all goes well he'll submit everything to the insurance company and I'll be able to schedule a surgery date.. I have to be around 207-205 date of surgery..

I think you have a chance..Check with your insurance and make sure they cover it.. Trying other diets and failing really helps your case.. Go for it

So sorry through that experience Shaun after having such a wonderful experience such as a birth. Wanted to tell you that I went off my BP meds yesterday with my doctors blessings. I had my second fill 2 weeks ago and now I can say I am really a "bandster" as they call it, before this I could eat as much as I wanted almost and whatever I wanted. My band is a stict task master but I am losing steadily now! One of my biggest regrets about all this is that I didn't start it sooner! It may take more than 2 fills I wasn't easy either believe me....there are many trials to staying focused and not eating like I used to but I'm learning. AT my age to lose this much weight and a lower BMI to boot ....it's a miracle!!

Wow Shauna80,

Our weight and height are the same! Also, I have PCOS and some other medical problems. I started the process last month, but I have to comple 6mths of WL counseling first. I pray that you med problems will be resolved. I have tachycardia and joint and back problems, borderline HBP, very high choles and some other stuff. I am afraid of the fills and having the port. My weight is a physical burden. Most people say "girl you aren't that big", but I feel terrible. My weight increase excelled after my daughter was born in 2005, I will try to keep up with your posts. Take Care!

Hi!

I also have a lower BMI, of 36.something and am scheduled to have my lapband surgery on March 9, 2009. I am so EXCITED! I do have some co-morbidities, such as sleep apnea and pre-diabetes (PCOS related).

I also have PCOS and started gaining my weight in my 20s. From everything that I have researched, read, and spoke with the surgeon about, the Lapband will help you to lose weight with PCOS. This is because of insulin-resistance being the big contributor to weight-gain in PCOS sufferers. The band will help you to not only control your food portions, but it will also slow down the release of carbohydrates into your system, thus, not allowing your body experience such rushes of glucose into your system.

I believe that this surgery is going to HELP me to change my life!

:thumbup:

Hang in there my fellow PCOS'ers. The lap band is working for me and it sounds like your surgeon is exactly right. I haven't been able to lose weight in about 20 years. I am loosing weight at the recommended 1 to 2 pounds a week. I could a not be happier. I love my band. Best wishes to you all.

Hello!

I just wanted to share that since my last post, I am officially BANDED and have already lost 19.6lbs since starting Medifast one week prior to surgery!

I have been doing wonderfully! When I started Medifast on March 2nd, I weighed 229.8lbs. On surgery day, I weighed 218.0lbs. Today, 5 days post-op, I weigh 210.4lbs.! Woo Hoo for the band! I have gone from a BMI of 37.1 on March 2, 2009 to a BMI of 34 on March 14th! Crazy....and wonderful...

Nothing is going to hold me back now...not the PCOS...not anything.

Tonight was my first time "eating out". I did really well...only eating small bits of the soft foods. But I will tell you, I definitely felt the band doing its' job. When my stomach was full - IT WAS FULL! There are no two ways about it. I COULD NOT take another bite. It seemed crazy, since I had only eaten only a little over 1/2 cup of food!!!

Finally, I feel as though my hard work, discipline and perserverance will not be for nothing.

Anyway...My prayers to all, that you will be able to find the tools that you are looking for. I am so, so blessed to have been able to be banded...

I discovered this website yesterday. I am trying to resolve a few problems prior to my surgery in July. I am currently having a lot of hormonal problems. Unfortunately, I have had to go from dr. to dr. to try and find out what's wrong. I am almost certain that the PCOS is the main problem.

What types of treatment are you ladies receiving to help with PCOS? I took glucaphage to get pregnant in 2004 and felt great. Now, I'm tired, depressed, overweight, hungry, constipated, hairy...too much info, but I need help. I want to live better!

I have been on 1000mg of Metformin (Glucophage) daily. However, since having the surgery, I have dropped down to 500mg per day and will likely be going off of it altogether very soon!

:)