Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Joya

Guest aariyona

I think you are a complete jerk, and unAmerican. Why would you try to ban someone for having a right for free speach? Someone says lies about me and now I cant even defend myself? Get over yourself... stop being selfish and an unAmerican. I dont know anyone from Belighter. and I stopped posting about Dr. Joya's special price and great service as soon as someone asked me to, so you in all honesty can go ban yourself to the little girls or boys room and grow up a little!

Geez !! Can't we just put this thread to rest? It is giving me a headache!

Dr. Joya is my Doctor and I think he is great, so there. Who cares about all the trivial "he said she saids"? Get over it!

I was recently banded by Dr. Joya. I spent 7 days in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico because my daughter went along for cosmetic surgery. I am down 13 lbs and have discovered energy that I have not felt for years. Dr. Joya & my daughter's cosmetic surgeon were both excellent surgeons. The motel (Krystal) was also exceptional. The hospital that I was in was very nice and the staff was attentive & they all spoke english. My daughter was in a different hospital and this was not a good experience. Dr. Joya does not use this particular hospital although, so no need to be concerned.

Hi.. I went to Dr.Joya too 10/22. My daughter was banded 10/25. The same day as you. Did you meet her? Jennifer Rodriguez?

If you don't mind me asking. What type of plastic surgery did your daughter have?

Good luck!

DD,

Well hello!! Yes, I did meet your wonderful daughter! We went back to the motel together, had (band) parties in our motel room and talk about our battle wounds until she flew home! In fact we e-mail each other personally just about everyday!! There were a few of us that were all banded the same day and stay in touch daily now. I do feel bad although, because I lost one of my band buddies e-mail address. Her first name is Charlene. So I have not been able to contact her since we got home. My daughter wants to keep her procedure confidential. But I will send you a private message regarding this procedure.

I wish you could have been with our banded group in Puerta Vallarta!! What an awesome place, right?

Pv is nice and I am looking forward to a return trip for the fill. We should all be in town around the same time. Get together for a margarita maybe?

Jenni and I will be traveling together so it will be fun.

D

That would be great to meet there if I decide to fly back for fills. I may just have my fills done here. $78.00 per fill, but I have to pay $485.00 for one hour with a nutritionist. So the dilema is: Do I want to spend the money on a nutritionist or a vacation? If you go without me, you must go to Bogarts to eat! The restaurant is beautiful and the food is a masterpiece!! Eat there before a fill though. I took pictures of my daughter's plate of sea bass and it tasted as great as it looked! I had lobster bisque Soup (strained). It was my 7th day, so it was allowable. Slept like a baby that night needless to say!

We'll keep in touch. I'd love to see Jennifer again! Just think, if we all met in Peurta Vallarta for all of our fills, we will all look so different every time we met there. That would so exciting to see the changes everytime!!

That is a dilemma. Are you near a major airport? I'm sorry, Jenni told me where you were from but I can't recall...

You might be able to get cheap airfare to offset the nutritionist. Is the nutritionist fee a one time only fee and then $78 bucks for every fill after that?

That is probably a good deal. I will be sure to eat at Bogarts. When I was in Pv, I was too sick to go out. Never left my room!!! until I left to fly home. WHen I walked out of my room and saw the beach..and the beautiful pools, I really felt cheated!

d

I bet you did feel cheated. It was a few days before we could get out and mosey around just a little. The fourth day we took a 6 hr ride on a tour bus. I did ok, but it was too long for my daughter. The fifth day was a bad day for both of us. It may have been that we over did it the day before. I discovered that wearing elastic bandages around my stomach for a little support assisted with pain, bloating & gas. There is no way I would have made it otherwise. I eventually bought a midriff girdle for this support, but not too tight for anyone that is new & not banded that might be reading this. Great investment. The 6th day we hit the streets down town. There were so many things we would have liked to do, but couldnt. So I just concluded that if I get my fills there, more opportunity will exist.

It would be cheaper in the long run to stay here & pay for the nutritionist as long as they can do proper fills without struggling to find the port, ect.. If they have difficulties, it could cost more and then I would get to wonder why I did not go to Dr. Joya for the fills. I am from ND with no major airports, so no good deals on flights. And I agree, the ocean, views and motel was quite breathtaking to take in itself.

Just returned from Dr. Joya. The $1000 is to cover your airfare.

I felt compelled to write this testimonial after returning from Mexico where I received my lapband from Dr. Joya. I am a nurse from the USA, who has been dealing with weight loss issues for years. I tried many weight loss tactics which all resulted in failure, (lose 10 pounds, gain 15). I didn't have time for exercise, ( 2 jobs, kids, etc). and a million excuses for not being able to. Besides, with being overweight, I didn't have the energy and I lacked self-esteem, so there was no motivation for exercise. (I did try the gym for a short time, but that didn't seem to give me results. I seemed to eat more, since I was burning calories. Besides, I wasn't committed for the above reasons).

So, in desperation, I realized I wanted to do something about my weight. I didn't want gastric bypass. That is too permanent, I am not sure about long term consequences and I need to be able to reverse what I am doing for my weight loss, just in case , down the road, they find harmful side effects. And that is where the lapband seemed the best alternative. I spoke with nutritionists who have said the key to weight loss is small, frequent meals. My problem is Portion Control. When I really like something, I don't control my portion size. It is difficult, since I am considered an "emotional eater" or "stress eater" too. I find satisfaction and comfort in GOOD food. So, the lapband appears that it will fix my greatest downfall, and that is portion control.

Now, I had to decide how to go about getting the lapband done. Insurance wouldn't cover it. So, I had to pay cash. In the USA, cheapest was $11,000. In Mexico, it was $8,000. Now, my decision was, should I chance going to Mexico. I am dealing with a surgery and putting my life into the hands of someone in a country, that I am not familiar with. You know, you hear the stories, "substandard care, cockroaches, etc". Well, let me tell you. All of my fears were unnecessary. When I researched online MD's in Mexico, there didn't appear to be any negative comments on Dr. Joya. There is a lapband site not affiliated with Dr. Joya that adds comments on all lapband doctors and Dr. Joya was spoken of with all positive comments.

So, let me tell you of my experience. After two years of deliberating. When I decided I wanting to get the lapband, I called Dr. Joya and was able to schedule my surgery within 2 weeks. I paid the $8,000 and that included everything ( no hidden costs). They paid and arranged the airfare, transportation (except back to the airport from the hotel, that cost $5), and all surgical related expenses. Nothing else came out of my pocket.

Now here is my story of my journey. I arrived Mexico on Tuesday, (by myself). The prearranged taxi, by Dr. Joya was waiting for me. They brought me to the Cornerstone Hospital (nice, clean hospital, NO signs of filth. JCHACO, Department of Health would not have any environmental issues). They performed tests on me. They got my blood work and IV with one needle stick. After 4 hours and meeting key players dealing with my healthcare, I went to the OR. I was awake as I was transferred to the OR table and they applied monitoring equipment on me. I was thinking OK, where is anesthesia, I am ready for the good stuff that will knock me out. I was thinking, OK, I saw enough of the OR, when are they going to knock me out. And, before you know it, I am opening my eyes and the procedure is over. It only lasted 30 minutes. Pain was minimal, the staff was great at giving pain medicine in the IV. Don't refuse it, just keep asking for it. There is no need to be uncomfortable. I was able to walk to the bathroom that night, without any problems. I slept on and off through the night. Not because of pain, but because I couldn't believe I did it. The next morning I showered and packed for the Hotel. I didn't have any problems with any valuables missing. The key people spoke English. (the only thing I would suggest is bring a small translation book for Spanish when you speak to ancillary help). Just in case there is something you want. I wanted chicken broth, but the dietary staff didn't understand. So then they transferred me to the Hotel. It was a beach front hotel and under other circumstances, I would have had a blast at that hotel. But, since I just had surgery, I wasn't exactly up to "partying it up". I felt good, but not that good.

I recovered that 2nd night in the hotel, taking my pain meds and antibiotics that Dr. Joya provided. The next day, Thursday, I was on my way home. I went to the shops next to the hotel for mementos, but found Puerto Varlet to be commercialized with Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Outback’s, etc. Hey, I thought I was in Mexico, but, I almost felt like I was back home. Except in Mexico, it was 79 degrees, not 20. There was a beautiful ocean, it was nice. So, I took a taxi back to the airport (10 minutes away) and I was on my way home. I got in Philly at 2am and drove straight to work at 5am. Yes, I felt that okay, that I went to work. I wouldn't advise you to do that, you should pamper yourself for a day or two. But, for me, it was unavoidable. Bottom line though, is that I was actually okay enough to do it.

So, for anyone that is skeptical and wants to know if they should do it. I say go for it. You will not be disappointed. I received care that was comparable to care that you would receive in the USA. I was safe. The price was awesome and there were no extra expenses. I definitely would recommend Dr. Joya. He is professional. He has staff like Natalie, that "hold your hand" and walk you through the whole experience. And once you return to the United States, there are Doctors in your area that will monitor and fill your band as needed so that you don't have to travel back to Mexico. Not that I wouldn't love to travel back there, because I definitely would have Dr. Joya follow up with me. But, because of the cost of travel, it makes it difficult.

I hope this information helps anyone considering the lapband in Mexico. I highly recommend Dr. Joya.