Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone else to watch your procedure?

Does anyone know if its possible to have your guest watch your procedure being done? I'm going to have mine done at Omega Hospital in New Orleans, LA. I've read on a website somewhere that someone could watch, but I think it was on a website for surgery in Mexico, just can't remember which one.

That is highly unlikely.

I imagine there are insurance issues, liability issues, sterile issues etc.

The room in the private clinic I was operated on was an old bedroom (I think) of a house, so space would be an issue too (no viewing gallery like on tv shows).

I've watched my friend's surgeries but I am a nurse and I know what not to do. ;o) I doubt anyone will let your guest watch. I know it wouldn't happen in your typical US or Mexican hospital.

Not sure you'd want anyone watching, you are butt nek'ed and spread eagle. Might want to think that one through. LOL

It wouldnt be much to watch anyway, as its all laparoscopic. Just a crowd of people around you with all the equipment stuck through your skin.

Not half as interesting as seeing a hip replacement, which I watched once! And I've been at several births, that's awesome to see.

Well it would be my husband watching lol

I just remember reading somewhere on a website that your guest could watch the surgery being done through a glass window.. and I guess looking at a screen or something... not sure how it would've worked. I'm pretty sure it was for a surgery in Mexico, I just wish I could remember which one to show you guys what it said. I was surprised when I read it myself!

But I'm having the surgery here in the US so I'm sure theres no way they'd let.

Well it would be my husband watching lol

I just remember reading somewhere on a website that your guest could watch the surgery being done through a glass window.. and I guess looking at a screen or something... not sure how it would've worked. I'm pretty sure it was for a surgery in Mexico, I just wish I could remember which one to show you guys what it said. I was surprised when I read it myself!

But I'm having the surgery here in the US so I'm sure theres no way they'd let.

Nope, not a family member and especially not an RN or MD family member. It's not going to happen. Think about it, if something were to happen in OR the docs do not want your husband in the way if they need to act quickly. If he is not an RN/MD he's not going to know what he can go near and what he can't. He's be in the way of the docs and do you really want that when they have sharp pointy things inside of you doing delicate work? ;o)

I can't imagine why I'd want anyone to watch. It's not like giving birth to a baby and having your family share in that beautiful experience, lol.

Thought one of the comments above about being butt naked was interesting. Supposedly only my stomach was exposed during my surgery but since I was out of it, I have no clue if that is really the case or not!

I just thought he may be interested in watching it. I know I would be, I find those sort of things fascinating.

I had gall bladder surgery by laproscope about 15 years ago, and the doctor gave me a video tape of the surgery. After my husband watched it, he told some of his coworkers about it, and they wanted to see it too. Nothing but the insides of my stomach was shown, so I didn't mind them seeing the tape. It was pretty interesting. I know that's not what you had in mind, but maybe you could ask for a video of the surgery.

Thanks Kiz, I'll see if they do that!

I can't imagine why I'd want anyone to watch. It's not like giving birth to a baby and having your family share in that beautiful experience, lol.

Thought one of the comments above about being butt naked was interesting. Supposedly only my stomach was exposed during my surgery but since I was out of it, I have no clue if that is really the case or not!

There is a period before you are draped in sterile sheets. Getting from point A to point B... butt nek'ed.

Well...they keep you as covered as possible. But when you need to have your stomach prepped from nipples to groin, that leaves you pretty exposed. If you were having knee surgery, you would be much more covered the whole time, but you can't help but have everything below your armpits hanging out when you have abdominal surgery. They are usually pretty careful about making sure only necessary personnel are there when you're being prepped, and once the drapes go on the only thing exposed is the surgical field (belly).

Ask the surgeon if he is willing to make a tape of your procedure. That's possible with a laparoscope. But HIGHLY unlikely that they'd permit a friend or family member to actually be there in the operating room. If the surgeon won't record the surgery for you, there are lots of videos on the internet to show your husband exactly what will happen, if that helps.

I just thought he may be interested in watching it. I know I would be, I find those sort of things fascinating.

I'm fascinated by it too! I was in the delivery room with my best friend for her two c-sections and I was all eyes. The first time, they actually lifted her liver out and rested it on her chest (at least that's what it looked like to me, although of course it was still connected to her body!) and I said "Oh wow, that's your liver!" and she thought that was pretty funny (fortunately). After that I remembered to keep my mouth shut.

I used to volunteer in the ER of a major trauma hospital and saw all kinds of stuff I never thought I could handle but it was all very interesting - stabbing victims with the knife still stuck in their chest, etc. I guess I should have gone into the medical field.