Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little discouraged

Okay, so I did a ton of research before deciding on the band. This evening, I went to a support group sponsored by the doctors that will be doing my surgery. I guess they have these every month. It was mostly women and a few of them were SUPER snarky (does getting skinny make some people tacky? I wonder). But several were great and I learned a lot.

So I was the only band person there. Everyone else either RNY or Vertical Gastrectomy. So I'm supportive of that, I support each person's choice.

Well, when they heard I'd chosen the band, it was like "oh...well....you know people aren't that successful with that....you should really consider RNY" Almost like their surgery of choice is superior.

I kept thinking of all the great success stories I've seen here on this board and I can't help but think "WHAT???"

The main bone of contention was that banding "takes more work". Well...yeah, but ANY of these procedures take work....if I'm going to do this thing, I'd better be ready to work!

I don't know, I was just discouraged about that. It's done nothing to alter my decision, but I was hoping for good support after the procedure.

So, my question....have any of you had folks who had other flavors of WLS try to tell you that banding isn't very effective? How have you handled it???

I actually think this evening made me MORE determined to succeed with my band!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Hi Karen, No I actually haven't experienced the "my WLS is better than your WLS, so nya nya nya!" I think people are very invested in whatever WLS they have chosen, and espeically if you have decided on one of the non-reversable types. I believe it is human nature.

Hi Karen,

Your experience is not at all unusual. Before banding I had a similar experience, in a preop seminar with something like 500 people there may have been 5 pre-bandsters in the audience. :rolleyes

But like you, all the disdain people have for banding only make me more determined to have it and to make it work for me. I hope your doc's office has separate support-group meetings for bandsters and RNYers; it's utterly pointless to meld the two in post-op sessions. If he doesn't have one yet, offer to start one. All it takes is someone showing up every single time and letting the other bandster patients know about it. If you build it, they will come! ;)

I've been there. My cousin had bypass a couple of years ago and lost a ton (Or two) of weight with little effort on her part. That is except for the constant dumping, vommiting (still to this day) several times daily, huge hair loss, and the fact that two and a half years out she has lost a couple teeth (dentist says from malnutrtion)....LOL, no effort at all....

She thinks I am basically copping out by taking what is in her opinion "the lesser of the choices" and in her opinion ,"being satisfied with midiocre weight loss rather than setting my goals on success". She went on to say that in her doctor's opinion, the band is geared for those who fear the changes true success will bring so they set themselves up for failure yet again by choices an unproven surgury. Yeah, hard to believe, huh? I am hoping she distorted what he said and that there is not a doctor out there telling people that.

As you can imagine I was not thrilled by her very over the top remarks but I think it is just one of those things where people are so emotionally invested in the choice they make, they have a hard time believing it was not the ONLY choice! I know I am making the right choice though, so be confident that you know what is best for you and that you will be as succsesful (without all the complications) as anyone choosing a different WLS.

Nita

Been there done that, I was the first band for my doctor. So, every seminar or nutritional class that I went to was geared for bypass. As for the remarks, I wouldn't worry about it, I made my choice and I have absolutely no regrets, and I still have all my parts where they're suppose to be.

I made my choice and I have absolutely no regrets, and I still have all my parts where they're suppose to be.

Exactly, and the lapband is the only surgery I would even think about having.

She went on to say that in her doctor's opinion, the band is geared for those who fear the changes true success will bring so they set themselves up for failure yet again by choices an unproven surgury.

Wow, that is the most narrow-minded thing I've ever heard. Holy cow! I agree, I sure hope that isn't what the doctor is saying to people. Oy vey!!

BTW, welcome to LBT, Nita!! ;)

I was at my "required" seminar last night, too!! I checked to see what city you live in hoping it was the same as mine....but, no luck! We are rivers and mountains from one another....too bad....

Anyway, I experienced the same thing you did, but from the doctors and staff...they kind of poop-pooped the lap-band. But, the audience was either well educated on the lap-band or could see through what the "statastics" said!

I would bet that the majority of people in the room were considering banding over RNY.

I am so excited (AND STICKING) with the lap-band....bottom line who gives a #$#& what the rest think....this is your life.

M

Karen

I have not had this happen but I would tell them this:

Banding does take more work. With RNY even if you eat to much or the wrong things you will still loose because of the malobsorption issue. With the band you have to think about what you are eating and make the right choice or it does not work as well.

So "I" think the band is harder but it forces you to change, and you can partly control at what speed you change. For example I have requested smaller fills because of the amount of inital swelling that I get. (usualy lasts 1-2 week) By getting smaller fills I it has been easier for me to adjust to the amount I can eat (without PB's) My one experience with a 1.0 fill (first one) sent me over the top and I could not get back on solids for a week after an unfill. I was puking all the time, that was not good.

To go slow and learn is hard and shows up as a slower weight loss but it is in my mind it is all about how you want to take the trip.

I am a turtle I learn slow but I HAVE THE REST OF MY LIFE TO LIVE THIS WAY AND i WANT TO BE ABLE TO EAT IN A WAY i CAN LIVE WITH. (does that make any sence?) Turtle head will win her race in aprox 2 more years.

Then ask them if they want to meet with you in another 5 years and see who still has what. (weight, hair, teeth, bone density,health) T

I love your last line about your more determined to make it work now. lol

Guest j. lynn

I can sympathize. I went to my surgeon's support group for the first time 1 week ago. I've been banded for 5 months (tomorrow!) My surgeon does DS, RNY and LapBand. Out of the 50 people there, 2 were LapBand.

When people at YOUR surgeon's support groups say that it isn't successful, ask them why THEIR surgeon still performs that surgery. Then work your butt off to prove them wrong.

RNY and DS have it's place - but it wasn't for me. If I ever have a complication from the band, it won't be life threatening. 10 years from now, I WON'T be gaining my weight back -- if I start, I'll have the band adjusted.

jayme

That EXACT thing happened to me.... In January before my surgery...

From that point on I only went to Lapband meetings. We Bandsters go through so many different things. .that RNY won't and vice versa.

They have several bandster meetings in the bay area..Who will be your doctor?

;)

Rny people seem to be in thier own little world and thier surgery is the best! WHATEVER! I have co-workers who have done it and have had many complications. Myself? almost 5 months out no complications! Yes it takes longer, but at the same time you don't have all the other things that RNY can cause problems with! I would never consider chopping my stomach up to lose weight and changing where my organ are at. I have a brother-in -law who did the RNY-and lost it fast-now he has a lot of hanging skin and insurance and his funds are not going to cover plastic surgery. the lapband you lose slower giving your skin a chance to tone with your own sweat and tears by working at it. I am totally glad I have the band!

I show then a picture of a friend of mine who had RNY...got down to 140 pounds and now 3 years later is back up to 260...she is looking into lap-band now!

All I can say to those who had the bypass is atleast I have my intestines in tact and no staples and I have no dumping syndrome and I have no malabsorption issues and I do not have to worry about my pouch stretching and re gaining my weight all I need ot do is have an adjustment and my window of opportunity of weight loss is for as long as I have my band unlike 1-2 years with bypass patients.My skin is not saggy nor do I look gaunt like many bypass patients do.. I lost 91 lbs in a year, to me that is great! I LOVE MY BAND , I know I made the right choice

I agree with Shell. I am almost at 100 lbs gone in and still have 1 1/2 months till I am a year out! I am happy. I am even 14 lbs away from normal.. I can eat almost eeverything (including a piece of cheese cake on stick at out local festival yesterday- which I did share with all three of my kids) with out fear of fainting or "dumping" or having violent gaseous explosions.

It fits well with my life and my kids have not noticed me droping a ton- it has been a slow change and only a few people have really noticed the weight loss (usually people I don't see daily) and commented. I have limited hangin skin - except bat wings and I expect all but the batwings will resolve mostly on there own.

I have been able to exercise consistently- 3 miles fast walking 3-5 times a week (never could have done that before) as well as Water aerobic 2 -3 times a week. I actually can say I love exercise! (Never thought I would say that!!! ever) I also never missed a stride with my kids- from 6 hours after surgery till today. I wasn;'t to tired from quick loss to play of do stuff. I love it!!!

Last week an aquaitence of mone had her RNY (she needed it for a variety of reasons as well as only thing insurance will pay for) I watched her with her pain pump and her drains and all and watched her limp around all this week and she still can't stand straight. I know I am not normal- but we went to a museum the day agter surgery- I sat by a pool watching my kids swim sipping apple and pineaple juice that evening and I never had to worry about loosing my milk supply- I just had to work hard to make sure I got the right amount of carbs and Protein and such.

My only real regret is not doing it sooner. But that is life- and I am really feeling great!