Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 7 months out...no weight loss

I am very discouraged. I just got back from seeing my surgeon. The results of my upper GI show that everything with my band looks good. The placement is great. He even said that I may be too tight. I looked at the xrays and the amount of liquid going down looks like the width of thread. So, I have restriction. That is not the problem. So, what is the problem? Me. I am the problem. I drink while I eat. I eat too much. I eat the wrong foods. I haven't been exercising. So not losing any weight is all my fault. A part of me wanted it to be the bands fault. I guess so I could have an excuse of why the weight is not coming off. But, now I don't have an excuse. I still stuff my face with food. Even if I am not hungry, I eat. I can eat anything and it all goes down fine. If I feel like I might be getting stuck, I drink. I have learned how to eat around my band. I have about 250 pounds to lose.....and I don't know what to do anymore.

Amy :thumbs_down:

Oh...and my surgeon gave me a prescription for diet pills.< /p>

Cajuncutie, are you getting any counseling? That might help. I know that can be scary, but we all have issues and need help with them at times in our life. If you aren't seeing someone, you might want to find someone who specializes in eating disorders. I feel for you as I can't imagine how I would feel if I were in your shoes right now.

Amy

Why did you get banded? I guess that is the first question you need to ask your self. The band is not a quick fix it is a tool. It will do its part but you have to do yours. From what you say you know what you are doing wrong. Why would you go through this not to work with the band? Maybe this sounds a little harsh but honey you need to wake up. 7 months and no weight loss is sad. You need to get with the program and start following your Drs. directions. Do you work or sit around all day? You need to get up and get moving even if it is just a little bit. Stop and take a good long hard look at yourself and see if this is the way you want to look and feel the rest of your life. I did not, I am not going to lie to you and tell you it isn't hard cause it is but it isn't nearly as hard with the band as it was without. Stop putting all that garbage in your mouth. and STOP drinking with your meals.

The only thing you really can do is completely commit to it. You can't expect it to work if you don't follow the rules. Have a little more faith in yourself and make an effort to do what they tell you to do and it will work.

Do you really think you "need" the diet pills? The thought of diet pills has always scared me because as soon as you stop taking them all the weight seems to come back.

I don't know about you but my dietician helped me big time. She gave me this sorta booklet type deal with all the foods I can eat and their calorie fat and Protein content all broken down into food groups and how much of each group I should have.

I sure hope you can find a way to pick back up and use the band liek it should.

I am only 4 weeks out and have had some moments where I was like WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING YOU HAD SURGERY TO PETES SAKE!!!!

You can do it!! I believe in you!!! Don't give up you have all the right tools its just learning to use them!

XOXOX

Barbie

The only way I can do this is to not have anything I would really enjoy eating in the house. Otherwise I would snack all the time, and I actually do quite a bit. But there is NOTHING here that is tasty or high calorie. If I wanted a snack now, the best I could do is a rice cake, a Fiber bar, or a low fat yogurt. Otherwise, nothing. I've thrown away things I have bought in a moment of weakness, like Cookies and Peanut Butter. Sometimes the only way I can throw them away is when my mouth is full of the temptation food. Then I pick it up, cover it with gooey garbage so I don't retrieve it again, and stuff it into the garbage can, WAAY down low. So I do understand compulsive eating, because I still do it every day. I had to sit down with myself and figure out ways to thwart my instincts.

The drinking with meals stuff, I guess, is just something you have to stop yourself from doing. Since it doesn't actually involve turning down food, I don't have a lot of trouble with it. Don't brink a glass to the table?

When you say you are too tight, what do you mean? Are you pbing a lot? What symptoms, other than your doctor's statement, make you think you may be too tight? Are you getting in a lot of calories on liquids? Are you avoiding solid foods because they are too hard to get down? Just trying to brainstorm for you here and see where the problem lies.

I was originally over 100 lb overweight, but lost some weight through dieting before the band. This is hard. Use your brain to figure out where you weaknesses are, and then figure out what to do to stop yourself. That's the only way I had any success.

I certainly don't have all the answers, and may not have any that help you. But I did want you to know that we all have demons we have to face and defeat to make this work. It can be done.

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I am in counseling. It does help with some of the emotional issues.

I don't like the idea of diet pills either.

I am going to make an appointment with the dietitian. Hopefully she can help me.

I was thinking about your situation some more, and I had some thoughts...You also might want to think about journaling your food and Water intake daily. A recent study showed that people who write it all down (every morsel) lose twice as much as people who don't. I use www.thedailyplate.com to track mine, and it's really easy. It also tracks how much Protein, calories, etc. that you are getting, and you can also track your exercise. I definitely do better when I track it. I find that when I don't do it for a week or so that I don't lose as much. You also may need a lot of structure to train yourself. You might want to get a timer to use to time 30 minutes before and after you eat. Get everything you shouldn't eat out of the house. Pre-make meals and put each portion in a separate container (that works well for me).

Snowbird,

I don't PB much anymore. You would think I would if you saw how much restiction I have. The doctor was amazed that I don't even have reflux. I don't drink high calorie drinks. I don't drink any type of soft drink. I drink tea, milk, orange juice, and coffee every now and then.

Sounds to me like you need a counsiler to help you find out why you are self sabatoging (sp?). I know why i do that i just need to work on my head and figure out how to love myself and realize i am worth it. You are worth it and you need to figure out how to be your own inspiration. I know its hard to do but its worth it. I still have a lot of weight to lose and am just waiting for the day i have an after picture.

How could it be that you are so tight that the amount of space for food to go through is like a thread width yet you can eat so much food? I am pretty tight (7 in a 10 band) and I can't possible stuff food down. If I drink it just backs up like a stuffed toilet (someone else described it like that!). Something does not make any sence to me. If you have restriction then you cannot get mass quantities of food down no matter what you do (unless it's liquid calories - which btw it's sometimes hard for me as well)

Maybe a support group and food addiction therapy. All that head stuff doesnt go away. I get cravings alot but its usually NOT real hunger. I find sometimes I can talk myself out of eating junk. If I dont have it in the house thats better. The real differance is I can STOP after a little bit of the forbided whatever and get on with it at least not feeling like a total weakling. I think about my loss so far and what I went through to even get my band. But THANK GOD its there cause I couldnt do it alone.

Banded April 1 2008

240/207/140

Snowbird,

I don't PB much anymore. You would think I would if you saw how much restiction I have. The doctor was amazed that I don't even have reflux. I don't drink high calorie drinks. I don't drink any type of soft drink. I drink tea, milk, orange juice, and coffee every now and then.

Still trying to figure things out. When you say you eat the wrong foods, what do you mean? Like imb said, I CAN'T overeat on solid Proteins and vegetables, which is why my doctor instructs us to eat those first. They sit in the pouch and overeating makes me feel terrible, plus it just comes back up if I try to eat too much. Do you mean you eat too often? Ice cream? Give us a clue here.

I'm sorry if I am responding intellectually if you posted just as an emotional outlet. I'm not a touchy feely hugs and there there type of person. But I would guess you would want to know how to turn yourself around. Beating yourself up emotionally isn't going to do that. Trying to take charge of the situation intellectually works for me.

Journaling your food does help. I lie to myself and say, "I haven't eaten THAT much today, I deserve this." If I have a diary of what I have actually eaten, I can't deceive myself that way. At first, you probably would have to measure quantities, because I lie to myself when I estimate too. Milk and oj are high calorie foods, even skim milk, and they won't stay in your pouch and fill you up. You probably already know that, but there I go again.

tough love my friend....that's what you need. get your booty moving, get in daily exercising. you must follow some sort of diet, please watch your calories do something!!! i'd be bummed if seven months go by and i haven't lost anything. but at least you can turn all that around today! we're all rootin' for you!!!

Edited by KikiVal315