Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 7 months out...no weight loss

The only way I can do this is to not have anything I would really enjoy eating in the house. Otherwise I would snack all the time, and I actually do quite a bit. But there is NOTHING here that is tasty or high calorie. If I wanted a snack now, the best I could do is a rice cake, a Fiber bar, or a low fat yogurt. Otherwise, nothing. I've thrown away things I have bought in a moment of weakness, like Cookies and Peanut Butter. Sometimes the only way I can throw them away is when my mouth is full of the temptation food. Then I pick it up, cover it with gooey garbage so I don't retrieve it again, and stuff it into the garbage can, WAAY down low. So I do understand compulsive eating, because I still do it every day. I had to sit down with myself and figure out ways to thwart my instincts.

You are so right on! This is exactly what I do! I remove all tempting foods from the house. I have such healthy, boring foods to snack on now! LOL But it's working. I'm losing weight and I'm not tempted. Excellent advice!

. . . Sometimes the only way I can throw them away is when my mouth is full of the temptation food. Then I pick it up, cover it with gooey garbage so I don't retrieve it again, and stuff it into the garbage can, WAAY down low. . . .

lol:lol:

Thank you, Snowbird!

I am glad to see that I am not the only one with this method. This is a big part of how I quit smoking, too.

cajun -

I HEAR YOU!

i am only 1.5 months out of surgery and just had my first fill with no restriction and all my compulsive eating habits in full force.

you are a very pretty young woman. i wish you luck!!!

Thanks everyone for responding. I was having a really bad morning and had to vent. I know what I need to do.....I just need to do it. I am just going to take it day-by-day.

How could it be that you are so tight that the amount of space for food to go through is like a thread width yet you can eat so much food? I am pretty tight (7 in a 10 band) and I can't possible stuff food down. If I drink it just backs up like a stuffed toilet (someone else described it like that!). Something does not make any sence to me. If you have restriction then you cannot get mass quantities of food down no matter what you do (unless it's liquid calories - which btw it's sometimes hard for me as well)

I agree with this statement. The reason we got the band is because in most cases we CANT control what we put in our mouths. If the band was doing its job, it would be impossible for you not you have lost some weight. I totally agree that the band is not a free ride, but come on...it should at the very least give you a jump start.

Thanks everyone for responding. I was having a really bad morning and had to vent. I know what I need to do.....I just need to do it. I am just going to take it day-by-day.

cajun, that's the best thing you can do. day by day is, IMO, way better than seeing the whole entire thing; i think it helps us stay motivated in pushing on. take baby steps, and sooner or later when you turn around, you'll see you've come a l-o-n-g way!

lol:lol:

Thank you, Snowbird!

I am glad to see that I am not the only one with this method. This is a big part of how I quit smoking, too.

We have one of those old fashioned in the ground garbage cans with a step-on-to-open lid. I have actually found myself on my hands and knees in the driveway after dark, rooting through the garbage to try to retrieve what I threw away. How pathetic can you get??? :lol:

Hope you can find the support you need to get the weight loss going. I never realized that prior to surgery how much I did eat and how much the band is a tool not a sure thing.

Sounds like you were not ready mentally to be banded. My question is, are you not affraid of something getting stuck? That scares the hell out of me because the last thing I want is a defill or the risk of slipage. keep talking to the successful banders, they are a wealth of info. I also suggest stay away from friends and family who like to eat out a lot. this 9is not easy for any of us. but please remember the band does work if you get to know it and use it properly. Best wishes , sherry

Cajun cutie...don't give up on yourself. I was banded in Nov 07. It took me about four to five months for my head (psychologically) to catch up and realize what I had done (had the lapband surgery). Let me just say, for the first time in my life, I DID NOT BEAT MYSELF UP. I did, however, wonder if I was going to me the ONLY person on the planet earth that this procedure didn't work for. With all of that said, I had to be honest with myself (like you already have which is evident by admitting all the things that you are doing that you should not). Let me just say, that is the first step. Next, You just have to wrap your mind around the fact that you have taken very drastic measures to help you conquer you issues with your weight.

What I did was focus on eating and my food choices FIRST. No exercise. I did this for about 2 to 3 weeks. I made the right choices for the most part. Lean protien, veggies, then a small amount of carbs. The biggest thing that I focused on, was realizing when I felt full. Then, I would stop...immediately. Amazingly, I started dropping weight. Then, I added the exercise...slowly. You get the idea.

Just know that you can do this. Dont beat yourself up. Take the time that you need to adjust to your new lifestyle. This is an amazing tool...good luck using it. I wish you the best.

When I read threads like this it saddens me. I really want you to take a close look as to why you were banded to begin with and keep that dream alive. You can most definitely eat around the band. I do drink with meals but I am still losing. I eat no junk food and rarely do I eat junk food out. Please pray about this and give this up to God. It is bigger than you. Obesity is a very serious disease that you have. The band can help you. Start your day tomorrow with some good Protein in the a.m. followed by more for lunch and lean protein and vegies for dinner. snack on good things like fruits and vegies, Protein Bars help too. Don't sabotage yourself any longer. Love yourself, love your band and the weight will come off. You can do it. PM me if you want to know my story . Its a journey not a destination girlfriend. Julie from CA.

I suggest that you get the bodybugg. It's available on the internet or at 24 hr fitness, and it helps you by forcing you to log everything that you eat and it calculates the number of calories that you've taken in and burned for the day. I have one, and it's really be a great tool to help in addition to my lapband. Good luck and stay determined!

I agree with the statement above you were not mentally ready for this. And until you are you wont lose. Surgery is such a big thing to put your body thruough to just sit..........I hope soon that you'll wake up.......hopefully something will trigger you into realizing (not just saying) but actually doing what you need to do...good luck.

Cajun,

I am 7 months out and have only lost 42 lbs. I am so disappointed in myself, but like you, I know why I'm not losing quicker. I AM a touchy feely, emotional person, so I will be the one that tells you, hang in there - you're not alone, and you are NORMAL. Eating habits are developed over many years, and although I was mentally prepared - I went through several life changing things in the last 7 months including a break-up with someone I thought was "THE ONE", work problems, and eventually being laid off from my job that I loved.

I found myself stuffing food down my throat, even AFTER getting sick, going back and trying again. I literaly had to get out of the house, and go for a ride or something to get my mind off food. The lap band is a great tool, but until I am ready to put it to use the way it was intended, I will continue to be discouraged at my "FAILURES"....we are our own enemies. For you - my friend, I want you to focus on the positives in your life and start a healthy way of eating, exercising and making yourself feel better. No one else can do it for us.

I wish you all the luck - and may God bless you - skinny or fat !! Keep us informed of your progress.