Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help me pain in left rib

Hi,

I had lap band on Jan 08,2007 all has been great but 105lbs smaller whoop whoop. but my question is I have developed severe pain under my left rib cage all of a sudden .. I have struggled with pain in my left sholder off and on but not in my ribs the pain is so bad that I can hardly stand up straight or walk... is it gas or has something happend to my band.. Please anyone help me out.. thanks bunches...

Shelly

Seashell,

I think you might have gallstones. Have you checked for that? When people (especially women) lose weight fast, gallstones develop and are very painful. I am no doctor, but you may want to check with your doctor. (I learned this with the material I received pre-op, plus my sister and brother both had their gallbladder removed recently, and they described similar pain). Even if the pain goes away, it does come back, so please go to the doctor! Also you can check your symptons by going to WEBMD.COM Good luck, and let me know what happens.

Edited by Barbiek

Hello - I was just banded on June 30th and had my first appt with the doctor yesterday. I told him that the worst pain I have had is with my left shoulder...also from my breastbone and sometimes it is hard to breath. The pain is enough to stop me in my tracks from anything I'm doing and I have to lay down. I thought it was from being pulled around in surgery. He says no, it is from the band rubbing on my diaphragm and that the bones structure is all connected...and the really bad shoulder pain is from that. He said that it should keep getting better....if not report. Evidently, about 1 out of 500 people have to have the band moved.

Right now, I take extra strength tylenol and lay on an ice bag for about 30 minutes and that seems to have the pain subside. Hope this helps!

Sherry

Edited by sherry21

Sherry21,

Just had surgery July 2 and I am having similar pain like you. I feel like I have chest pain, with left shoulder pain, and sometimes trouble breathing. When you say "breastbone", do you mean like between your breasts, or just above? I called the Bariatric Dept. Nurse, she said I shouldn't have any chest pains at all and I should probably go to E.R. I went to E.R. and they did an EKG and said my heart was fine. Maybe I have what you have? I have a dr. appt on Friday morning for a follow up with my regular medical provider. I will have to ask her. Thanks.

Hi Barbiek -

I may be using the wrong term...I believe the doctor said diaphragm. The pain is immediately under my left breast...it hurts to take a deep breath. When my shoulder starts to radiate pain....it kind of all goes together. There is a kind of pressure where the band is. It sounds as if you could have the same thing. It helps to lay down...kind of flatten out, and ice seems to help in a big way. I usually put the ice on my shoulder, but I have put it where the band is too.

I hope this helps!

Sherry

Oh, my gosh!! Last night I was literally debilitated by pain under my ribs on the left side (down low) and in my left shoulder. I've had pain in my left shoulder since my surgery. I laid down but it took about 3 hours to feel well enough to even go get ready for bed. I was so worried that I'd screwed something up with my band. Today I'm just fine. Eating my normal, small portions. I went and worked out this morning and all is well. Has anyone else had this happen before? Would I know it if my band had slipped? Can the bands "break"? I go to the doctor for another fill on Wednesday but my doctor doesn't seem to spend much time answering my questions. I seem to get a lot better information from you all - the ones who are experiencing the same things. Thanks!

Sherry21, thanks for the reply. I will try the ice. Seems a little better today, but usually happens right after I eat something.

Pefox: I don't know if the band can break, but somebody (actually 2 people) posted something about their band becoming "unlocked" so there must be somekind of clicking/locking mechanism for the band. Can't remember where it was posted but you may want to look for that post.

I am so happy I found this thread! Just earlier today I was having sharp pains in my left should and in my chest! It hurt to breathe! It was weird because as long as I was sitting down, the pain wasn't there! This sounds kinda common on here! I was thinking that it was residual gas pains from surgery, but I had my surgery on the 1st... so I thought I was having a freakin heart attack lol! I feel better now though... hopefully it doesn't come back, I'm thinking I may have overdone it a little today and that may have caused the flare-up

Hi Eisermanr7 - There's a another thread that just came out today titled: "Newly banded, what is this feeling?" I think it's in the post-surgery section. Anyway, this thread had a lot more on the chest pain and shoulder pain. You may want to look that one up. I, just like you, thought I was having a heart attack! Now that I read that other thread, I'm not quite as alarmed. My chest pain and shoulder pain comes and goes. I had surgery July 2 and I thought that I should be done with all the gas pains, but I guess not. Check out that other thread. Lots of replies there that will help you.

Edited by Barbiek

I haven't had the lap band implanted yet, (i have epilepsy and my dr's are swapping data) but I've been reading your posts. While I was researching the lap band, I went to youtube, and you can actually watch a lap band being implanted. Just type in lap band surgery. there are a couple videos. it'll give you a whole new perspective about whatcha got goin' on in there and what it looks like.

I just stumbled on this thread. I have developed left under the rib pain that hurts to breath. Sometimes it radiates to my left shoulder I'm 6 mo post op. Is this all gas? What's the best thing to take for it! Miserable in MT

Hello everyone.........its woman I haven't been on n a while but I decided I need my lap band fam again! Neva leaving again!

Got newssssssss for uuuuu listen up!!!

Left shoulder pain!

Rib pain!

Upper back pain!

Go get a cttttt! Its ur esophagus! Band is tooooo tight!! Maybe dilated! Ask doctor, don't ignore u may lose Fluid for a while but its worth it! I was at my 100# mark and this began to happen to me..that was the problem....