Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have a fill in 2 hours and not sure if I should have it or not :(

I never thought it would be this hard to decide whether I need a fill or not...

I have a 4cc band. I have had 1 fill of 2cc's and immediately got restriction. I have had this fill for 3 weeks now and have lost 9 pounds... so I am doing well.

There are times when I can only eat 1/2 a cup of food and others where I can eat 1 cup. I can guzzle Water though if I am really thirsty... this leads me to believe I need a little more restriction. I can eat anything I want if I chew except if its a sandwich I can only eat 1 slice of bread cause 2 is too thick.

I have been working out like a mad woman so some of the loss is from that too.

Suggestions??? HELP!

Maybe you don't need more restriction--are you having any reflux at night? that would be a sign NOT to get any more fill. if you really want to get some more--be very conservative...maybe only 1/2 cc. you do have a small band--and you want to be able to eat--right? if you feel you are on a good losing path--maybe save the fill for later.

hard for someone else to know your individual situation--but i would say--be conservative.

best wishes,

girlinnyc

I say wait. You have lost 9lbs in 3 weeks! That is somewhat above average, even with the exercise. It sounds like you are in a good place...dont mess with that.

I haven't had any issues at all and no reflux. I know that everyone is different. I guess I was just hoping that someone else might have wondered the same thing before.

I still want to be able to eat but I want to get the maximum potential out of my band as possible. I will just talk to the doc and see if we can do a mini fill and see how it goes. I think I am very close to my sweet spot and only had 1 fill so I consider myself extremely lucky.

I am scheduled for my 4th fill on Thursday and I'm having a similar dilemma, but it seems I can eat a lot more than you can.... I can eat a 7 oz. steak and a big pile of broccoli, or a chicken thigh, 2 drumsticks, and large serving of green Beans. I can eat anything I want, and I don't have to chew very well. But on the other hand I'm losing about 2 pounds a week and having no problems, so I am not sure what to do. I'm going to keep my appointment and talk it over with my nurse/nutritionist (who is also banded).

It sounds to me like you're in a good place but if you feel like you need more restriction I agree with one of the posters above who recommended a conservative fill. Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I just got back to work from the doc.

Him and I decided to check the Fluid level and he said theres part of a CC that was missing... (Which I hear is semi common) So he put the needle in filled the band to the max and had me drink. While I did that he slowly took some out. Once the Water started going down I told him. Turns out I only needed to be at 2.1 CC so Hope this is a sweet spot!!

i have a 4cc band. i currently have 1.75cc and have good restriction. i also wonder sometimes if i need a fill because some days i am very tight and some days not as much. i guess that you just have to decide these things for yourself as there are no rules that apply to everyone. but my doc says 1 to 2 pound weight loss a week is good for banded people.

i have a 4cc band. i currently have 1.75cc and have good restriction. i also wonder sometimes if i need a fill because some days i am very tight and some days not as much. i guess that you just have to decide these things for yourself as there are no rules that apply to everyone. but my doc says 1 to 2 pound weight loss a week is good for banded people.

Yeah 1-2 pounds a week is great and that's what I had my expectations set for. I am taking full advantage though of the higher losses for now :(

With my new fill now I was fine last night. This morning was a little tight but it is loosening up now. I think I like it so far. I even woke up almost a pounds lighter so thats a plus.

Guest ZenGarden

GET A FILL! I have the original Inamed/Allergan LapBand system as you and my band holds 4cc's of saline...I'm on fill #8 and already almost 1cc over the fill capacity and have just recently gotten decent restriction. One more fill and I think I might be at my sweet spot after 16 months of struggling with lack of restriction....

PS - you guys are SO LUCKY to be losing consistently. I've never, EVER lost the 1 to 2 pounds per week that everyone claims you do with the band.

Guest ZenGarden

I am scheduled for my 4th fill on Thursday and I'm having a similar dilemma, but it seems I can eat a lot more than you can.... I can eat a 7 oz. steak and a big pile of broccoli, or a chicken thigh, 2 drumsticks, and large serving of green Beans. I can eat anything I want, and I don't have to chew very well. But on the other hand I'm losing about 2 pounds a week and having no problems, so I am not sure what to do. I'm going to keep my appointment and talk it over with my nurse/nutritionist (who is also banded).

It sounds to me like you're in a good place but if you feel like you need more restriction I agree with one of the posters above who recommended a conservative fill. Good luck!

Hey there,

Do you have the original LapBand also?

Hey there,

Do you have the original LapBand also?

No, I have the Realize band. It holds 9 cc's and I'm at 6 cc's now... hoping to get another half or full cc tomorrow.

I also have a 4cc band like you. And my first fill was 1cc, my second fill was to 1.5 cc's and my third fill was to 2cc's. And yestaurday I had my 4th fill to 2.5. I felt just like you where I had lost some weight, but felt like I could still eat too much. And only really had restriction in the morning. So I went with .5cc's more and I think Im at the right spot. I finally cant gulp liquids down, and have to chew very carefully, and take my time eating. Hope this helps your decision.

I also have a 4cc band like you. And my first fill was 1cc, my second fill was to 1.5 cc's and my third fill was to 2cc's. And yestaurday I had my 4th fill to 2.5. I felt just like you where I had lost some weight, but felt like I could still eat too much. And only really had restriction in the morning. So I went with .5cc's more and I think Im at the right spot. I finally cant gulp liquids down, and have to chew very carefully, and take my time eating. Hope this helps your decision.

I think my first clue that I could be tighter was the being able to gulp Water too.

I did get a tiny fill and think I have a sweet spot.

GET A FILL! I have the original Inamed/Allergan LapBand system as you and my band holds 4cc's of saline...I'm on fill #8 and already almost 1cc over the fill capacity and have just recently gotten decent restriction. One more fill and I think I might be at my sweet spot after 16 months of struggling with lack of restriction....

PS - you guys are SO LUCKY to be losing consistently. I've never, EVER lost the 1 to 2 pounds per week that everyone claims you do with the band.

OMG, that's me. I have lost about 24lbs in 6 months and for a weeks I practically starved myself. It just hasn't been working for me like some of you all. I am at 3.4 CC's now and for almost three months food was getting stuck, I was barfing all the time. Now, I can eat pizza (once and a while) and bread without much problem. Should I get a fill?

Guest ZenGarden

OMG, that's me. I have lost about 24lbs in 6 months and for a weeks I practically starved myself. It just hasn't been working for me like some of you all. I am at 3.4 CC's now and for almost three months food was getting stuck, I was barfing all the time. Now, I can eat pizza (once and a while) and bread without much problem. Should I get a fill?

I would say, YES, get a fill.