Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

making good choices, u can only eat such a small quantity u have to eat prot. first. I stay away from most carbs and stick with prot. and vegies. and once in a while i eat frozen yogurt, or 100cal packs of chips or Cookies. I think its better to choose these bad Snacks a few times a week than eat something that is totaly off the charts.

Sue... who cares about inches when you've lost 138 pounds - that in itself if a HUGE accomplishment and motivation enough! You should be proud of yourself... besides, who wants to look back??? Moving forward is what matters and I'm confident it shows!

Keep up the good work!!!

Brad:

I love my band.

I wish someone had told me that I should take precise body measurements before I got banded. I know that I've lost alot of weight (138 pounds!), but there are times when my loss is so slow that I would like to know the inches because I think that if I knew the lost inches it would help to motivate me when the scale isn't so friendly.

Good luck to you.

Sue

Snapdragon...I could not have said it any better!!! I was banded in April 2008 and for a month or so, read every post, reply, etc. There isn't anything I can't eat as long as I chew it well first and I drink beer - just not as many as before (so don't feel like you'll never have one again) - all you can do it try - if you can, then great, but you need to watch. Your life can remain the same, just in smaller quantities - and still lose weight. Who you choose to tell is your business and your business only - I had great difficulty coming to terms with having the surgery done - felt I took the easy way out, but that feeling will pass - you must make peace with it or it may never. You'll be okay, Brad and will find your way with what works for you, etc. we've all been there, have gone thru this, and are better people because of it. Also remember, the band can be removed/reversed - is not permanent if you don't want it to be - that was a huge plus in my book!

All the best!

See my comments below.

Edited by kei1170

after eating, do you actually feel full, or does it feel like a hotdog is stuck in your esophagus?

If you use the band properly.. and sometimes it takes you a time or two of eating incorrectly to learn how to do it right... You will be full and you will not feel like a hotdog is stuck in your esophagus. But I have done it before and I am sure alot of other people have.. The first time you eat like youre in a race you're going to eat too much and it will back up in your throat and you will probably either PB or slime. Once you begin having fill you will become full much faster and stay full for hours. I get full on 1/2 a cup and it lasts up to 4 hours.

What happens when your friends find out you can't eat out for a full meal, or even drink beer?

If they are your friends they should be supportive of your decision. If your whole friendship revolves around the food and drink you may want to find a new place for you to hang out with them. Plus some people can drink beer mind you very slowly and some cannot. I just opt for straight shot or mix with a shot with a fruit juice (Watch the calorie count though)

When you go out to eat just order an appetizer or a 1/2 order or off the kids menu so if you're drinking you're not tempted to keep eating and end up Pb'ing.

Were you ever shameful about telling somebody, or, in place of that, lying about eating healthy and exercise and all that jazz?

I have never been shameful. There is no shame in getting healthy.. All of my family knows about my band as well as my friends, they are very supportive. However, I haven't told anyone at my work and I choose to keep it that way. It was a personal decision to get the band and I keep work and personal seperate. Someone at my work did ask if I had GB or Lapband since I had lost weight fast and I said no. I didn't think I had to tell them.

I breezed along for the first few months. I ate much less, but could eat about anything. Then I had my third fill. I couldn't eat anything without throwing up. I threw up everyday. Still do it alot, but making a conscious effort not to. I have to make a committment EVERYDAY to do what is right by my band (which makes it right by me). I think I was dehydrated constantly, so now I sip Water just like they told me to do. I had lunch with a friend yesterday and was able to eat 1 1/2 fried mushroom. Eating out is a total waste for me. My husband was banded in April and he, my one year old and I split a lunch portion the otherday. We still left 1/2 on the plate. I haven't lost the "fat" mentality. I want food, I love food, I crave food. But, it is just easier not to eat it than feel crappy and/or throw it up. You have to renew your committment everyday. Ice cream goes down great, but you aren't doing yourself any good. I did, however, have ice cream last night. But instead of a pint, I had a couple of spoonfulls. It was heaven!!!!!! I think I am finally on the right track. I just hope I haven't damaged my band with all of the throwing up I did over the last six weeks. I guess time will tell.

Suzannety, it sounds like you're too tight! You need to call your surgeon's office NOW! You shouldn't be throwing up after a fill unless your bites are too big and you're not chewing thoroughly enough! And 6 weeks is too long to be doing that. Ask for a slight unfill. You may end up having to have more out later b/c you'll swell up and won't be able to get anything down then. I don't want to scare you but you could cause damage by being too tight for too long. Take care and let me know what happens and how you are!

I have had to "unfills".....the first one I waited for 12 weeks, I started losing my hair....no weight lose.....after the unfill, I lost 16 pounds in four weeks. If you are throwing up...you are to full, talk to your doc, it is not normal. The weight should come off slowly....even if we want it to come off faster (and I do) it is not health and will not last. Time is what it takes to change our eating habits and excerise. It took along time to put it on....it takes less time to take if off, if you do it right......best of luck....Pam

what dont they tell you.....GREAT question!

well, I've read the whole thread - which is 99% "food related". As for me, the unexpected "negatives" had nothing to do with food...I guess I would label them general "quality of life issues" for lack of a better phrase. So, here goes, I'm about to vent a little....

1) my doctor simply wont permit me to take my other non-related medications (whether tablet or capsule form) no matter how small the pill may be. Yeah, yeah, crush them up, yada, yada...well guess what? they dont work the same when they are crushed up. Diabetes meds dont work the same, cholesterol meds dont work the same, and worst of all my BPH (I am a male patient) meds dont work the same. So, if I'm down a few pounds, what good would it do me if I'm dead from a heart attack, or if my blood sugar is yo-yoing, or if I need major prostate surgery?? By the way, I literally grilled the doctor on this issue before the surgery and the answers were "glossed over" every time. God forbid that I should come down with some other illness, cause I wouldnt be able to get any medicine in me - and obviously that will happen some day.

2) SEVERE Constipation. Repeat, SEVERE. Artificial Fiber? Did not work. Prune juice? Did not work. Foods with high natural Fiber? Not even close. Laxative such as "milk of magnesia"? Yeah, but its still very rough, and I really dont think its a healthy long term solution.

3) Problems with hair, scalp, and skin. Scalp and skin are very dry and itchy all the time. Texture of hair is TOTALLY different. Much thinner, much drier, not healthy hair at all. Probably losing hair.

So there you have it. My 3 big gripes, and none of them have anything to do with food and eating - or lack thereof.

Let me just close by saying that I'm FULLY aware of the need for Protein and good hydration, and I am doing eveything in my power to get the Protein and the Water and the fiber in. I just dont want people to think that good intentions will always lead to the desired results. Some negatives MAY not be in your power to control.

what dont they tell you.....GREAT question!

well, I've read the whole thread - which is 99% "food related". As for me, the unexpected "negatives" had nothing to do with food...I guess I would label them general "quality of life issues" for lack of a better phrase. So, here goes, I'm about to vent a little....

1) my doctor simply wont permit me to take my other non-related medications (whether tablet or capsule form) no matter how small the pill may be. Yeah, yeah, crush them up, yada, yada...well guess what? they dont work the same when they are crushed up. Diabetes meds dont work the same, cholesterol meds dont work the same, and worst of all my BPH (I am a male patient) meds dont work the same. So, if I'm down a few pounds, what good would it do me if I'm dead from a heart attack, or if my blood sugar is yo-yoing, or if I need major prostate surgery?? By the way, I literally grilled the doctor on this issue before the surgery and the answers were "glossed over" every time. God forbid that I should come down with some other illness, cause I wouldnt be able to get any medicine in me - and obviously that will happen some day.

2) SEVERE Constipation. Repeat, SEVERE. Artificial fiber? Did not work. Prune juice? Did not work. Foods with high natural fiber? Not even close. Laxative such as "milk of magnesia"? Yeah, but its still very rough, and I really dont think its a healthy long term solution.

3) Problems with hair, scalp, and skin. Scalp and skin are very dry and itchy all the time. Texture of hair is TOTALLY different. Much thinner, much drier, not healthy hair at all. Probably losing hair.

So there you have it. My 3 big gripes, and none of them have anything to do with food and eating - or lack thereof.

Let me just close by saying that I'm FULLY aware of the need for Protein and good hydration, and I am doing eveything in my power to get the Protein and the Water and the fiber in. I just dont want people to think that good intentions will always lead to the desired results. Some negatives MAY not be in your power to control.

Brownie, I don't understand the medications thing. I hear people on here all the time taking things. As long as they aren't too tight and can swallow them.

As far as the hair and skin thing, have you thought about adding Omega 3 oils to your diet or supplements? That helps a lot. As far as the hair falling out, I always thought it was a surgery-trauma-to-the-body thing. Or not enough protein.

As far as constipation goes, can't help you there. I'm anticipating problems myself since I have some issues now. I get plenty of Water and fiber. I've started taking pro-biotics (make sure there's at least a billion in each dose) and hoping that helps. It's too soon to tell.

And thanks for posting. It helps to hear EVERYTHING! Take care! And I hope your "issues" get resolved.

Great Responses everyone!

I am still a newbie but I did have my first bought of...TMI....hard constipated bowls...so I am using a stool softener quite a bit right now....OUCH!

I am definitely getting my Water....

Keep posting all!

What don't they tell you? Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that no one told me that immediately post surgery, I would feel as though I were having a heart attack! I was genuinely worried until my surgeon explained that the gas they pump in during surgery puts pressure on the spinal cord, and that's what I was feeling. It lasted about 3 or 4 days, and then it was gone. So heads up, if you feel pain in your chest, radiating down your left arm, don't panic.

I remember being surprised that there would not be a fill until 6 weeks post surgery. I thought that meant no restriction, but that hasn't been the case.

I went to Mexico to be banded, and took 13 days off work to do it. (My regular vacation time). I didn't need nearly that much time. And I told only my boss why I was going. I work in a highly public situation. when I returned to work, apparently my boss, (who I didn't ask to keep it zipped) had shared my journey with literally hundreds of customers who had asked about my absence. At first, I was disturbed by this, but they have all been so wonderfully supportive, and positive that I am ok with it now.

I told all of my friends, and they have been fabulous as well. Everyone knows my history of losing and regaining weight, so this is an exciting new chapter in that battle. Check out my profile to see pics of my past attempts, successes, and failures. I don't feel that I am weak in will power. It's the staying power I lack. This is the tool that will change it for me. (Besides, why is called will power? It should be called "won't" power!)

Good luck!

Dear Brad,

I have been band since 8/07, almost a year. I have lost 45 pounds. I had to learn how to eat slow and not clean my plate. You still have to watch what you eat and drink. I have only told close family about band, no one else has noticed my change in eating. I go out to eat with my husband and I order a Soup or salad and eat some of his food if I am still hungry. I get my Water or tea to go, so that I can drink in later. You can not eat an drink at the same time, it can make you lose your dinner. I had about 25% hair lose. My hair has all grown back now. My energy level was low in the beginning. Now my energy level is better than before, because of the weight lose. The weight lose is slow, I thought it would come off sooner. You need to have a plan for changing your diet and some type of activity, such as walking or swimming. I do not like to talk about my band to much, however I do enjoy the chat room. I find the chat room is a wonderful support group and I have made new friends.

Best of luck to you...Pam

Hi, I was banded on June 17 this year. I have not had less energy or Hair loss. Did you & do you get enough Protein? My Dr. says three protien drinks a day at 30 grams each, for life. Plus a whole slew of supplements. I feel pretty good. Between the pre-op diet & now I have had a bit of weight loss & would have more, but haven't stuck to the post-op diet very well as I have no restriction yet. But I know that is my doing. The past two days I have done lots better & lost a pound.

Keep up the good work! We all know that none of us would lose 45 pounds in a year otherwise.

Were you ever shameful about telling somebody, or, in place of that, lying about eating healthy and exercise and all that jazz?

-Brad

hi Brad, i am picking up on something here - MAYBE - maybe i'm off tho. are you ashamed of getting banded yourself?

i ask because i have struggled with this - with hot anger at myself for NOT being able to lose the weight the 'normal' way. i have tried so hard in the past (torturing myself with hard exercise, drastic dieting even going all natural, organic, etc. for about 20 years!) with such little or short-lived results.

in a pre-op class (6 classes required by the program i am in- at first an annoying commitment but then an invaluable experience!), i brought this anger up and was counselled that i had to accept that this is where i'm at in life and take positive action, the band, to move forward. my anger was me not accepting the situation as it was. i had to pretty much surrender and say nothing to date has worked, not for lack of effort or intelligence or education even for that matter. my body needs something different to solve this problem and thank God it's available - surgery.

that was great advice and now 4 weeks post banding, my attitude is very good. weight loss is slow but i expected that.

a bandster who i talked to before hand told me 'it's a uniquely individual journey' and i agree completely! while we may share some common banding experiences, we have so much to learn about ourselves and what role food plays in our lives. we have so much to be proud of (we are taking positive action!) and we have shame and a host of emotions to dissolve!

good luck!

hi Brad, i am picking up on something here - MAYBE - maybe i'm off tho. are you ashamed of getting banded yourself?

i ask because i have struggled with this - with hot anger at myself for NOT being able to lose the weight the 'normal' way. i have tried so hard in the past (torturing myself with hard exercise, drastic dieting even going all natural, organic, etc. for about 20 years!) with such little or short-lived results.

You hit the nail on the head, ma'am. I'm a guys' guy, I don't do things the easy way as a way of life. I know what and why I'm doing it, but I can't get over it.