Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Perth newbie waiting to be banded by Dr Stephen Watson

Okay, I need to ask some dumb questions...

How long after the op can you get back to 'normal' husband/wife relations?

If you wear jeans (or other non-elasticated) bottoms, do they push on the port?

Can you feel the band or the port all day every day, or only the port and only if you're looking for it?

I'm afraid I'm going to lean over a counter and snap the port or something! LOL

Lellow .. way to go with the weight loss! 9kg already and only a couple of weeks.

hello, this is my first post here ... please excuse the nerves !

mrswal, i was banded on september 8 and although it was a very cautious process, my partner and i had 'relations' :thumbup: just over a week later. i guess it would be a case of try it and see ... everyone will be different but trial end error is the key !

My port is up against my sternum so the port doesn't get in the way of my jeans waist but if i bend over without thinking there is a bit of pain.

As for feeling the port all the time ... mine is still covered with dressings and is still a little tender but if i apply a little pressure i can sorta feel it - the band i don't feel at all.

Phew, that wasn't so bad after all !

take care everyone !

Jo

Hi Jo

I agree! It can be very nerve wracking to go from just reading forums to actually contributing. It can often feel like you've just walked up to a group of strangers and interrupted their conversation.

I got your other message and will reply to that too. I'd be interested in getting a Goldfields (Kalgoorlie, Boulder, Kambalda, Cooglardie) Support Group together if there isn't one already.

What do you think?

Thanks for the info, it all helps get me ready for my big day.

Cherie

Hi all,

I'm new here. Hope you are all doing well this new year.

I got banded on Oct 08 and so far I have lost 3kg. I have a 10ml band in and have 8.5ml of fill. I don't seem to have any restriction so I go back and get more fill in a fortnight.

Any one else from kalgoorlie??? I got banded by Stephen Waston.

Hey mrswal,

How did you put your tracker on your page? I can't seem to do it.

Thanks

Edited by searze1
spelling

hi searze1

just click on mrswal's ticker, go through the steps, then copy the code that comes up in the end (the one that starts with [url=.... the others won't work)

Then come back to this site, do into your User Profile, then edit signature, and copy and paste the code into your signature. :wink2:

Hi lellow,

thanks for that, I have successfully up loaded it. Thanks

Well today is a new day for me, I am going to start a liquid diet for a couple of days, I am hoping that it might kick start my weight loss. i don't know if it will help with my restriction but I am at the point where I will give anything a go.

Any advice from anyone else out there would be great. How much more fill can I get until my band is closed, it's starting to feel like I need to have the thing closed so that I might be able to stop eating.

Desperately seeking advice

Searze

Searze,

how many fills have you had? When you see Steven, do you tell him about not having any restriction? I was also banded by Dr Watson, but on the 1st of August.

It may be worth giving his rooms a call and telling them that you're struggling.

Aside from that, though, I know how hard it is to stay motivated and eat well when you don't have restriction. But I was losing consistently even when I didn't have restriction, and that was from exercising 4 times a week. Are you getting any exercise?

Hi lellow,

I have emailed him and let him know what is going on. I have to give him a call in a week or so as he want's me to go and see him. The hard thing for me is I live in kalgoorlie, so i see my GP here who does my fills for Dr Watson. He is really good, I have had xrays recently to make sure that the band was where it was meant to be and that there were no tears in it, and thats all fine.

Now he said it is just getting to that "sweet spot" where I have restriction. It's just hard waiting to get there when It's taking so long. And I have had no change in restriction from when I had the surgery, none what so ever, I'm like I was before I had the surgery, it's a costly weightloss if it doesn't work.

Sorry about the novel...

Searze

I try and exercise 4 times a week, but sometime i only get in 2. I will be walking my Daughter to school soon again soon so that will be 5 times a week.

You're in a tough situation, searze. I feel for you. I felt restriction at 6ccs, so can only imagine how frustrating it is for you. I have heard of lapband patients though who have had no restriction one second, and then with their next fill - bam - they're restricted. Hopefully that will be the case for you too.

Exercise-wise though, what sort are you doing? Is it strenuous enough that you're working up a good sweat? I started out on a spin bike I bought off DealDirect doing 10kms at a slow pace initially, and have worked up to riding 35-40kms three to four times a week now.

Hi lellow,

I know what you mean, it is a bit of a hard place. I have spoken with dr watson and he wants to see me, we are going to Perth in the next couple of months so will wait till then, I will keep getting fill here with my Doc, it I get to 10mls then I know something is wrong or it will start to work.

I have been walking, I get a sweat up but I could be going faster, if children weren't involved.

I think I am just going to have to keep my head up and keep going.

Thank you for the advice though, it has been very helpful, hopefully I will write you some more in my time.

Searze

searze,

you sound like you're really feeling down about your progress, and I don't blame you. Bandster hell (the time between getting banded and finding restriction) shouldn't last this long. I hope Steven has some answers for you.

I have kids too, the youngest is almost three. The only other advice I can suggest to you about exercising with kids is to try an do it after they're in bed. My regular routine is to hop onto my spin bike (like I mentioned, I bought it for $200 through DealsDirect.com.au, so really reasonably priced) and go flat chat for 40 mins until I'm pouring with sweat, but only once my youngest is tucked in to bed, which is at about 8.30-9pm.

I do that 3 - 4 times a week, and I'm absolutely certain it's what's helped with my consistent weight loss.

Of course when I started on it, I only managed 10 minutes at a rate of about 45rpm, but I worked up to 40mins at 55-60rpm now.

With that routine, I was losing even when I wasn't restricted - about 3kgs a month. Now I have restriction (and am on higher intensity exercise) I'm losing about 5kgs a month.

I know it's not always easy with kids to exercise, so I do empathise. I suppose you have to look at it this way: with the band alone, you will lose, but slowly. With the band and relatively intense exercise, you will lose faster. With the band, restriction and intense exercise, you'll be blitzing it.

So look at yourself and assess your situation. And if you fall into the slowly losing category simply due to your circumstance (no restriction and not able to exercise with intensity, for whatever reason) then don't beat yourself up too much about your progress, because it IS progress, and that's something to be proud of.

Dear all,

I am new to this Thread so please bear with me. It is wonderful to read all the success stories and loving the encouragement that you all give each other. It makes it much easier to get through the operation. I have my first appointment with Dr Stephen Watson on Friday 22/10/2010 and much say am really looking forward to having the operation. I am currently 94Kgs so hoping that he will agree to do the surgery for me. I am really hoping that he will be able to do the operation within a couple of weeks of the initial appointment. Can anyone shed any light on what tests are going to be needed and how soon after the first appointment he usually does the surgery.

Look forward to hearing from you all. Good to be on board.

Regards

Zimbo

:)