Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Perth newbie waiting to be banded by Dr Stephen Watson

Hi lellow, another Dr Watson patient here, banded last December and have never regretted it for a single second. It's truly an amazing feeling to be free from the hunger daemons, who have ruled our lives for so long. Dr Watson is very straightforward and very helpful and accommodating - I'm sure you can't go wrong to go with him.

Be prepared for it to be a slow process - this isn't gastric bypass surgery and the weight doesn't just fall off overnight. However, it does work if you stick to the guidelines at least most of the time. My advice would be to take it slowly and carefully, don't try to too much restriction and rapid weight loss, concentrate instead on changing your eating and exercising habits and the losses will come. I think in the long run, that is a healthier approach and has fewer complications (I am convinced that most of the vomiting, slippage and erosion problems we read about come from people trying to be too tight so they can lose faster.)

Thanks for the advice Fanny! I am trying to be realistic about it and I fugure that a slow steady weight loss would be best. Considering all I've done over the last 5 years is gain weight, any downward trend will be welcomed, it doesn't have to be fast!

I am keen to exercise too. I have worried about how I will fit it into an already tight schedule but I know that weight loss alone will not solve a lot of the health problems that I will likely face due to my family history. So no more excuses! I will have to find time to exercise, it has to be put onto my list of priorities.

It's great to hear of another good experience with Dr Watson! I can't tell you how reassuring it is to have his patients speak so highly of him.

Fanny - you're weight loss is awesome, you must be stoked!!!!!!! Rastis x
Thanks Rastis! :frown: I think it is fairly slow but it is steady and I'm just below the average loss in my December Merry Losers group. I was so close to my 2nd major milestone (under 100kg) last Monday, that I could almost taste it but the scales were mean to me and wouldn't give me that 0.3 before I had to fly back to site. Oh well, I'm sure it will be there waiting for me when I get home and you might hear the screams of delight from where you live :lol:.

All in all, I have been stoked with this process - I'm right on track for where I should be in my 18 month plan and confident that I'll make goal.

PS: You're doing really well yourself, Rastis! I know you've had a couple of hiccups but it looks like those numbers are on their way down again - well done!!

Another happy Camper of Doc Watson's here :frown:

I am my own worst enemy, always have been, and it's nothing to do with banding or Doc Watson. I had virtually no wind pains, and always wondered if it were down to his surgical technique. I guess we are all different on the inside too!

There wasn't a lot of pain in the big scheme of post op pain, and i like his relaxed after care attitude.

You may have to wait to see him, but ya know the best things in life have to be waited for :lol:

I HATED limbo land, which is where you are now, and that was capped off with the Optiyuk stage just prior to surgery. My BMI and weight was similar to yours. I have a whole box of vanilla Optiyuk if you want it! However I really liked the strawberry and Cappucino - more expensive but sooooooooooooo much nicer :eek:

Good luck!

Hi guys

I've been looking into lapband surgery for ages and more intensely very recently. I was doing all kinds of Google searches last night and found this particular thread. I immediately sent an email to Dr Watson giving him a very detailed outline of me. I couldn't believe it when I got an email back this morning! I'm in Kalgoorlie and he has offered to have the appointment and do the op during the same time frame.

I'd be very interested to hear your opinions on the short space of time between the consult and the op.

You're all amazing and very inspiring.

:eek:

WTG MrsWal! I actually have my pre-op appt with Dr Watson today so will let you know how it went when I get back. I've done a lot of the prep stuff already, eg the blood tests, hospital admission forms and paid all the relevant fees. I can't believe I'm 9 days away from surgery!

I've heard nothing but good things about Dr Watson (even within this thread!) so I think you've made the right choice. :seeya:

Good luck for your pre-op appointment today lellow, I imagine you may be a little nervous but also very excited. Thinking of you.

Sim :biggrin2:

Aw thanks sim! How is the banded life treating you?

MrsWal - For me the time it took between actually saying "okay I am going to get this done" and the operation was two weeks. The shorter time frame between the two the better. It gives you less time to think about it, and less time to freak out and think holy mackeral am I doing the right thing.

It's the best thing I've ever done, and people are really starting to notice the difference, and alot of people are commenting now - it's so good for the self esteem. I never imagined that I could look in the mirror and like what I see, but I really do now, and I still have 12 kg's to go. Geepers my hubby won't beable to keep me away from mirrors soon - I'm starting to love myself like mad - which in actual fact is probably not a bad thing, cause I don't think I've felt like that for a very very long time.

All the best with your journey - Rastis x

PS - Goodluck today lellow!!!

Hi again!

Well alot has happened since my first post. I have a consult date and an operation date!

I get my referral next week from my GP, consultation on 21/10 and op on 22/10.

I am absolutely stoked!

I spoke to Kate today, who's lovely, and she answered a couple of questions, but it all seems fairly straight forward.

I think I'm going to be counting on you guys a lot in the coming months, I've even got myself a weight ticker! LOL

Does anyone know of any accommodation/motels, etc. near the hospital?

I do have one question for those who have had the band already. I've read that the amount you eat (once back on solids) is equivalent to an entree size, but then I've also read that it's 1/2 - 1 cup. Which one is more likely?

Cherie

Hey Cherie - the amount of food I can eat depends on what time of the month it is for me. I never dish up my meals on anything bigger than a bread and butter plate, and I probably eat somewhere in between the 1/2 cup and entree size. Generally when I have my period I can't eat much at all, my band seems to be so much tighter - and food that I generally don't have problems with I find very difficult to eat - does anyone else experience the same thing? But at other times, I probably eat like my 3 year old daughter and I feel very satisfied.

I hope this helps and YAY for the 22/10 - Rastis x

Congrats on your date! Dr Watson is good like that - he went out of his way to make my surgery date convenient for me, as I work away on a mine site 8 days in every 14.

Re your question: it depends upon your restriction and whether you want to keep it tight or take it gently. I prefer my restriction a little on the loose side - it does mean that I eat a little more than some bandsters, but I don't have problems with any type of food as long as I'm careful to eat slowly and chew thoroughly. I've never been much into junk food and sweets, so I don't have a huge challenge making good choices as long as I get full on the meals I eat. Other people might like to be more restricted, so that they eat less and don't have to struggle with food choices, but they pay the price of being more sensitive to food types and having PB problems.

My average meals are around a cup but I can eat an entree at most restaurants - couldn't manage a main meal though! I like going doing the Chinese banquet thing with family too, as I can have a small spoonful of everything and not feel like I've missed out and still walk away full and satisfied.

Banded life is going well, 6 days in and seems I have survived the no gas pain (well, so far anyway). I am enjoying making heaps of different smoothies and juices but must say I am really craving a banana, not a mushed up juiced banana but peeling the skin off and eating a banana! I thought I might crave chips as I loved them before my op but not really wanting them at this stage. I went to a buffet lunch today which was funny because all I had was Soup and then some custard. Glad your pre-op appointment went well lellow, time for the countdown!! excited for you. Fanny you are doing awesome and I loved your advice on the non-too tight fills, sounds good to me. Take care all Sim :biggrin2:

sim, sounds like you're going great guns! Not long now until you can eat that banana. 3 weeks will fly, I'm sure of it!

MrsWal, I bet it was you on the phone today with Kate while I was at Dr Watson's room waiting for my appt. Someone called and I heard Kate saying yes we can do the consult Tues and have the op Wed. The person then asked how long after the op before they could fly or drive. It was about 11.30-ish, too. Was that you??

My appt went great. Dr Watson was surprised at how much I'd researched. I also said he came highly recommended by his previous patients! Lol! All is ready for the op next Friday and he said I could abandon the pre-op diet if I wanted, but I told him I'd prefer to stay on it, and he told me I didn't need to be too strict with myself if I didn't want to. :thumbup: So tonight I had a cup of rice porridge. I reckon I might not be able to eat rice after the op, so treated myself to one last taste. It was all boiled so I don't think it would be too many calroies, and where normally I could eat a huge bowl, I only had enough to stave off hunger, so I'm happy.

So the countdown is well and truly on now! Woo hoooo 9 days and counting!