Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am lactose intolerant. I can take cheese and some dairy, but things like milk and ice cream do not make my stomach happy. This is a pretty new condition and ice cream was my favorite food! Maybe it's a blessing in the long run, but the thought of having to live on the protien shakes for a couple of weeks is not a pleasant thought. Has anyone come across this issue and found a lactose free and low sugar shake that doesn't taste like a$$? :thumbup: Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am new here and also lactose intolerant. I have alwasy looked at it as it saves me from gaining from eating all of the things that would cause me pain. I have read from my nutrition info from my surgeon to look at the nectar products and permalean. I am assuming that they are lactose free. I will be curious to see how others respond.

I found a lactose free Equate brand-Walmart that tastes really good, but it's high in sugar...I'm sure that we are not the first ones to run into this issue:rolleyes:

I think the purpose is to get in adequate amounts of Protein so it doesn't necessarily have to be in "shake" form. I too am lactose intolerent and I didn't do the shakes at all. I purchased Isopure from GNC. It comes in a bottle and each bottle has 40 grams of protein. They come in different flavors and can be a bit pricey per bottle. I think it was like 3.99 or 4.99 a bottle. They also have protein that comes in a powder form that can be added to juice or even Soups. Shop around and you will find that you have a lot of options. I hope this helps. Wishing you all the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive seen other threads from lactose intollerent people who mentioned soy based protien suppliments. Look for ones that are soy based instead of whey. I can't find the thread now but they are out there.

Hi moe128, I too am lactose intolerant. There are some milk products that my body can tolerate and then somedays I can't tolerate anything. I found out just after surgery, that I became extremely intolerant of any kind of milk product. I found a grape flavored Protein that I can add to Water and it tastes like sugarfree koolaid. It's not bad!! You can get it at the following address:

Medical Nutrition :: Dietary supplements :: Colonial Medical Assisted Devices

It's called LiquaCel. I spent a lot of money on Protein drinks that had whey and were still labeled as lactose free. I was miserable..... My advice, is to buy samples and try them. After surgery my nutritionist said that some people find themselves intolerant of a lot of things--I was also intolerant of the fake sugars for awhile as well. I have tried several and this one I can handle.

Good luck!

With my Crohn's Disease I'm lactose tolerant. (Found out after a great trip out west where I drank milk every morning. That poor ranger at Bear Butte SP in South Dakota didn't know how to react!)

Anyway, whenever I eat dairy products, I use Lactaid Fast Act, or the Walgreen's generic equivalent, and don't have a problem. If I don't use one of the chewable tablets, everyone knows from the noise.

Wow! Great advise everyone-thanks:biggrin: I just came back from a week of camping (where I actually lost 4 lbs!!!) so I didn't have access to this, so it's great being able to read all the replies! I saw my nutritionist this week and she said to look for whey products that have the "Whey Protein isolate" as the ingredient and not "whey Protein consentrate". I like the advise to buy samples though and I have. So far they are great and I've had no probelms, but I'm still not going to buy stock in them until I figure out what I can handle AFTER surgery...I tried the lactose free "Equate" brand (Walmart) and that was actually really good, but I think it was too high in sugar, so that one might be out. I will look for a soy product that tastes good too.

I was surprised by the lactose free milk, it actually tasted pretty good and like real milk. I'll also have some lactaid on hand. Right now I have a pretty mild case and I'm a little worried how my body is going to react after surgery, but at least I have some options! My favorite food that I could eat every meal/every day is ice cream, so this has been a blow to that and I can't help wondering if it was some devine intervention:wink_smile:

Thanks again for being willing to share this info with me I really appreciate it! Moe

Wow! Great advise everyone-thanks:biggrin: I just came back from a week of camping (where I actually lost 4 lbs!!!) so I didn't have access to this, so it's great being able to read all the replies! I saw my nutritionist this week and she said to look for whey products that have the "Whey Protein isolate" as the ingredient and not "whey Protein consentrate". I like the advise to buy samples though and I have. So far they are great and I've had no probelms, but I'm still not going to buy stock in them until I figure out what I can handle AFTER surgery...I tried the lactose free "Equate" brand (Walmart) and that was actually really good, but I think it was too high in sugar, so that one might be out. I will look for a soy product that tastes good too.

I was surprised by the lactose free milk, it actually tasted pretty good and like real milk. I'll also have some lactaid on hand. Right now I have a pretty mild case and I'm a little worried how my body is going to react after surgery, but at least I have some options! My favorite food that I could eat every meal/every day is ice cream, so this has been a blow to that and I can't help wondering if it was some devine intervention:wink_smile:

Thanks again for being willing to share this info with me I really appreciate it! Moe

HI Moe128,

My doctor normally prescribes Optifast for the pre surgery diet. However, since I have that lactose problem too, he told meet to buy high Protein Boost. I didn't have a problem with it at all. As far as the Protein shakes go, I went to the health food store and purchased a Whey product and add lactose free milk. I haven't had a problem. For a special treat, I will allow myself a skinny cow fudge bar. They are low cal and don't bother me at all.