Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out Patient or Overnight?

I am just starting on the journey to be banded, and I'm trying to gather as much information as possible. I would like to know how many of you were able to be out-patients and how many had to spend at least one night (or more) in the hospital. Also, if you expected to be out of the hospital sooner, why did you have to stay longer?

I hope my questions make sense. Thanks in advance for your responses.

P.S. I would have made this a poll, but I don't know how.

I was just banded on July 2 and I stayed one night in the hospital. They wanted to take an x-ray the day after surgery and also they want you to have a liquid meal while you are in the hospital to see how you are doing before you leave. This is standard for my insurance company (Kaiser) and I'm glad they kept me one day.

My insurance required that I stay overnight for my band. At first I was bummed but when I woke up from surgery I was EXTREMELY nauseated and was grateful that I was in there so they could give me the right meds. I can't imagine going home feeling as sick as I was. PLUS I had the dry heaves and was so scared that I did something to my band but my dr was there and said I was fine. I was released the next morning feeling great. The nausea subsided by 9pm that night and other than Iam sore and have left shoulder pain from the gas I feel good.

Checked into the hospital at 5:30 AM on June 27. Went into surgery at about 8 AM. Back in recovery by 9 AM. Went home by 12:30 PM same day. I had no nausea, just a very sore stomach.:thumbup:

I live couple hours away from the hospital and we are stationed overseas in Germany. Soo for me, i went in on the 26th, did the pre-op tests, stayed the night had the surgery on the 27th stayed the night again. On sat. i was still haveing some pain so they said stay again so i went home on Sun. Love the hospital, great place very comfortable. Knowing what i know know, i could of come home on Saturday now, i just wanted to make sure everything was okay.

My surgeon generally dismisses the same day. I had expressed concern about that because I live 2 hrs away from anything - he gave me the choice of staying if I felt I needed to. I went in at 10 am, and by 2 pm I felt foolish sitting there, so I got in the car and went home. Never had so much as a gas pain, but I know not everyone is that fortunate.

I stayed overnight and was released at 2pm the following day, this was an insurance requirement.

However I was nauseas after surgery (probably from the demoral because they gave me meds for anesthesia) and I was glad I did, gave me piece of mind also because I live two hours away.

I stayed overnight, but that was because I use a CPAP machine. The other bandsters got to go home.

I was banded October 9, 2007. Went in at 9 had surgery at 10. Surgery took a little longer cause they found I had hiatel hernia. He repaired it, back in room around noon. Walked out and went back to motel to spend the night around 4:30. Could have stayed the night in hospital but wanted to be with hubby and dog. This was on Tuesday for surgery was back at work on Monday. No problems. Good luck

My insurance denied me...so I was a self-pay...used TLC Edge surgery center which is an out-patient center. My surgery was @ 2:30....and I was realeased @ 5 pm.....no complications.

My surgery was same day, I was in at 7:30 (after a delay because my surgeon (head of trauma at the hospital) was finishing up an emergency surgery) I was in recovery (I THINK, I was kind of out of it) by 9:00 and home by 2pm that afternoon. My mom and I went to pick my kids up from school, I even walked to a friends Van and told her I was all done and on my way home after we got the kids.

All in all it was a pretty easy recovery for me. I had serious gas pains in my shoulder though, but since this was my 3rd laparoscopic surgery I knew to expect it as the first 2 I had the same problem.

In case someone forgets to tell you, WALKING is the most important things those first few hours/days after surgery. WALK WALK WALK WALK WALK WALK. I think I wore a hole in my carpeting from walking the same path those first few days. LOL

Hi Tween, My name is Alison and I live in Mansfield - I was wondering, is TLCEdge a center for people who have no insurance? I'm looking at a doctor in Southlake - Dr. Sewell - do you know of him? I'm going to his seminar on Tuesday. Thanks.

I was a self pay and begged my dr. to let me go home same day because of the cost (it doubled if I stayed overnight). I am lucky enough to be fat but without any comorbidities - I think that's the only reason she agreed. Anyway my surgery started around 12:30-1pm and though I was walking in circles around the floor by 9pm I decided to stay in the hospital for the night as I no longer had someone to help me at home or keep and eye on me. I was scared that if something were to happen I wouldn't be able to get myself the help I needed. So I decided to stay. I had a really obnoxious roomie so I didn't sleep most of the night and my surgeon discharged me around 9AM and I was home by 11AM. Though nothing happened to me that night I felt more comfortable being in a place where I could get help if something should have happened. I didn't have my esophagram until a week after surgery but they were watching to make sure I didn't have any issues drinking my delicious broth and tea. :thumbup: Hope that helps!