Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Joe Horn cleared by grand jury

Has anybody seen the disturbing video footage of the Nawlins police going house to house confiscating guns during the Katrina aftermath? WTF? Those poor people needed their guns more than anybody, what with the diminished police presence and the looters. What a disgrace...

Edited by plain
clarity of thought

Being raised buy a hunter I was taught at age 11 how to handle and respct a gun. I am not affraid of them and I certainly respect and think that people do have certain rights to gun ownership. But the brutal honesty is no matter what, your going to have people who abuse them or simply don't respect them enough to understand what it really means to use one.There are a huge portion of people out there that don't take owning a gun seriously. And to many people getting hold of guns that really have no buisness owning them.

I have to agree that Joe Horn should have responded differently. Heck it wasn't his house. He had already called the police and the 911 operator was telling him to stay put. He should of.

But I can also possibly see where he was comming from he KNEW they had broke in next door and they came into his yard. Probably thinking he was next and at 62 there was no way he could have stood up to 2-30 something year old men without a gun. The article also said one started running towards him.

But he shoulda stayed inside. Heck in a later article he admitted he shoulda stayed inside. But I am glad he didn't get convicted.

There is a problem with "Why didn't he shoot em in the knees/legs etc."

Because poor Joe Horn got in less trouble then if he would have simply wounded the thiefs. He might not have been questioned/jailed but you bet he would of paid. Probbly for the rest of his life.

In our society today people seems to be eager to sue each other. There have been cases of OBVIOUS criminals with long records, caught in the act of breaking in/stealing then injured by the homeowner who have turned around and successfully sued the homeown and WON! Regarless of the fact they were breaking the law and admitting it in court O.o (Never figured that one out wouldnt the judge have to have you arrested for a crime you addmited to commiting in a courtroom?) btw a good site to look those up on is The TRUE Stella Awards -- Exposing Lawsuit Abuse with Real Cases hehe sorry gotta plug my favorite newsletter author.

Now this in Indiana and I have no idea if the laws have changed since.

In 1988 I had a girlfriend staying with me for a while. She had left her alcholic abusive husband. Who had just left her mothers house on his way to mine. So I called a neighbor of mine who is a state policeman and asked him what I should do. The guy was armed(shotgun) and extremly drunk. Her mom called cause she wanted us to leave and or warn us.

The officer friend told me "Well till he actually shows up the only thing we can do is take a description of the car and pull him over for D.U.I. If he shows up here do NOT go outside the home. If he refuses to leave tell him youv'e called the police (And call) DO NOT under any circumstance open the door. If he kicks/breaks in the door or busts a window let him get inside!! Then shoot him! He even advised me it would be BETTER to shoot him comming in the door as the refrigerator (right next to the door) would make sure any bullets didnt make it into the neighborhood (hit someone else) My ex at the time had a 357 so exiting bullets was a major concern in a 60's type trailer with 2 inch walls!! But to be carefull NOT to shoot him outside and to make sure if I had to shoot to not just wound him. I was taken aback at this advice cause I had always assumed a police officer would tell you to avoid getting in that situation to begin with. But he was clear and adiment that If I had to shoot the guy I HAD to do more then just hurt him or else we could suffer.

Thankfully the jerk got caught before he made it to my house. So it was all moot. But I learned allot. And got an added assult of a police officer on top of the D.U.I and got to spend a few months in jail.

I guess my point is no matter how detailed they make laws & guidlines every situation is individual. Thats why they allow such broad interpretations by judges. I would have hated to see a man like Joe spend the rest of his life in jail. For shooting a couple of criminal thugs, who's idea of making money was stealing from others.

Has anybody seen the disturbing video footage of the Nawlins police going house to house confiscating guns during the Katrina aftermath? WTF? Those poor people needed their guns more than anybody, what with the diminished police presence and the looters. What a disgrace...

A disgrace indeed, I saw it and I wanted to cry, how sad, frankly I would've never imagined that I would see with my own eyes something like that happen in this country, there was one home where they took it away from this older lady and she kept saying that she needed it becuase they have already tried to break into her house a couple of times and she was old and she lived alone and she feared for her life, in response the police threatened her and pretty much took it from her by force.

Edited by ELENATION

I think that people have a right to defend themselves, but he really should have faced some type of charge for not listening to the 911 operator. I heard the call and he really sounded like he was just gun happy to me. Imagine if the police would have arrived as he was walking out. They would have probably shot him. The operator said that the police officers responding were not wearing uniforms. That would have been a bloody mess.

Something similiar happened and the home owner ended up shooting a teenager that was just crossing through his lawn trying to get to a party. The mom of his friend died in a car accident trying to get him to the hospital. They ended up charging the home owner who shot the teen with the mom's death, I think.

I have to jump in too. This happened in our area and I was saddened to hear it. Not that 2 criminals were killed while committing a crime, but that this man was in the position and had to make the decision he did. I believe he had full right to make the choice he did, but I think if he had it to do over, he would have handled things a bit different.

My neighbors ask us to watch their property all the time when they are gone. To me, that means protect it as if it were my own. The state of Texas agrees. I wouldn't say I am gun "happy", but I am an Army Brat, AirForce Wife, my dad is now a Gunsmith. My hubby and I both have our Concealed Handgun License.

I never thought I would need a gun. Until I was involved in a 2 year stalking incident. My phone lines were cut over and over, my apartment and car broken into, my pets poisoned. The police were involved from the beginning but were totally useless. After each incident, they would ask if I had a gun. I began carrying a handgun everywhere I went - now I am legal (CHL).

I no longer fear my car breaking down, a knock at the door, a dark alley or a lonely parking lot. I also don't fear having to use it. I will protect myself, my family and my property. I will never live in fear again.

I feel sorry for Horn. He has to live with taking the lives of two people. No matter what the circumstances, that will be difficult.