Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help - my pouch is dilated!!!

I HAVE BEEN VOMITING FREQUENTLY SINCE MY LAST FILL WHICH WAS A LITTLE TOO TIGHT. I THOUGHT TO MYSELF, OH WELL, A LITTLE 'BULIMIA' WILL SPEED UP MY VERY SLOW WEIGHT LOSS. I VOMITED OFF AND ON FOR A MONTH UNTIL IT GOT TO THE POINT YESTERDAY THAT EVEN WARM TEA DIDN'T GO DOWN. SO TODAY ON MY BIRTHDAY OF ALL DAYS I HAD A COMPLETE UNFILL, BECAUSE THE NURSE NOTICED MY POUCH WAS TWICE THE SIZE FROM ALL THIS VOMITING AND RESTRICTION. SHE PUT ME ON liquids FOR 2 WEEKS IN HOPE THAT MY POUCH WILL SHRINK ITSELF BACK. HAVE ANY OF YOU OUT THERE ENCOUNTERED ANYTHING LIKE THIS? I REALLY NEED HELP!!!:thumbup::frown::thumbup:

Yes, unfortunately this isn't really uncommon. Lots of people try to nurse along a too-tight fill and have just the same problems that you have had. It's important to always keep your fill loose enough that you can take in solid lean Protein, for safe weight loss. Hopefully your unfill and liquids will heal your dilated pouch. Often that is all it takes. But be sure to keep a close eye on things, if you are still having symptoms or if this doesn't clear up with the unfill and liquids you could have a more serious problem like a slip.

Good luck and I hope things are going better soon.

I really think two weeks of liquids will help. I am really happy that it was just dilation, which is very treatable, and not a slip. Good luck.

You're definitely NOT alone in this! I just came from the dr. today and had a complete unfill also.

Three weeks ago I had a fill. Two weeks before that, I had to have a little removed. I've had this scenario going on for several months now. Back in December (after having been at my sweet spot since October), I started getting real bad heartburn. After several days of this I was being woke up during the night literally coughing and choking on Fluid. I went to see my doctor and they thought I had gastritis (sp?) so they gave me some meds to treat it. There was no relief after a week, so I went back in & they discovered it was actually too tight. This confused me, since it was perfect for several months. They told me the weather, barometric pressure and sinus drainag can actually create more restriction. They removed some Fluid and *sigh* -- what a difference. I had relief!!!!

I've had this fill/unfill several times now. The weather has wreaked havoc on me so far this year --- whenever rain is in the forecast lately, I feel the heartburn coming on.

I was feeling the burning/pain last week and went to liquids and by Monday of this week, all felt fine. I had no burning, but I did notice that I wasn't eating more than Soup and mashed potatoes. This morning, the burning was back, but this time I also had a 'heaviness' in my chest -- almost like I could feel the restriction. I finally decided I needed to get some fluid taken out and things heal completely. When they put me under the fluoroscopy, they said I had a 'borderline' slip --I hadn't actually slipped yet, but it was starting to. I asked him why that would happen -- I've had no vomiting or anything like that. He said for about 3% of people, it can just happen sometimes. They removed all the fluid and now I'm on liquids and mushies for the next 2 weeks -- ugghhh!!!!

So don't feel bad, sweetie, I'm right there with you -- no fluid--no restriction and I want to eat so bad already!!!! I don't know if I can do this!

Good luck!:lol:

Thank you for your reply.

LadyBlue, I can so relate, because the day before I went to the Dr I had that "waking up - coughing/choking thing" as well. It's scary. I thought I would get "fluids" into my lungs and get pneumonia. I am very worried that my pouch is dilated and that I fall into that 2plus percent whose pouch does not reshrink into it's original shape.

2 weeks of fluids will be hard for me...It was hard postop...but I must try my hardest because I could slip or prolapse my band.

I'll think of you on liquids as well as a "support-buddy". Thanks,

BonJosie

Hi BonJosie, My bff's son in law had the same thing a few months ago. He also got a complete unfill for about 3 or 4 weeks and now he's fine. He did gain a few pounds back but made sure he kept up with the gym to keep it at a minimum..Hope you get back to normal very soon!!

Hi Lady Blue, I feel your pain with the heartburn coughing etc. I have 6.5 cc's in a 10 cc band. About 3 weeks ago I had such terrible heart burn. I'm 54 years old yet I never in my life before had a moment of heartburn...it's so gross...One night I spit right into my pillow...disgusting. I wound up taking Prilosec for 14 days and it just about cleared up. I especially have to make sure I don't eat anything close to bedtime.