Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IMHO The hardest part of being banded.

Not drinking while you eat. This is so hard for me. It's something I've really been struggling with since the beginning.

Right now I am successful at giving up the drink about half the time, and fighting really hard with my self descruction thirst to not drink while eating all the time.

uh.:)

Oh well. I'm trying. Just keep swimming, Tara.

That is the harderst part for me as well....I just always get up and start moving right after i get finished so the time goes by faster. We have to keep swimming so our suits will look awesome this time next year!!!! Good luck...you CAN do this!!!!

And waiting the 45 minutes is another "hardest" part. I promise you will get used to it after a few months and you won't miss drinking most of the time. At least that has been my experience.

I weened myself off drinking when I eat.. I know were suppose to just stop doing it but I have done it for 32 years kinda hard to change it.

I started with not drinking with 1 meal, then 2 meals, now 3 meals. I still find it hard sometimes and I sneak a couple sips in when I have my snack in the morning but I really dont notice being hungry sooner when I do it or filling up quicker... which are the reasons they don't want you doing that.

OH yeah, NOT drinking is super hard. I probably accomplish that only 30% of the time..

One thing i miss so much is carbonation.. coke, diet coke, 7up, i miss it. I know its a pretty small sacrifice considering, but i still fantasize about it. hah.

287/232/180

Had to chime in and say, the no drinking while eating is a hard rule to follow, especially if the food is temp hot, or spicy. I do take itty bitty sips with my food. LOL, everytime I do this, I think of raccoons that wet their food to eat it, cause they have no saliva glands, I know I do, but they are underproducing I think.

Not drinking while you eat. This is so hard for me. It's something I've really been struggling with since the beginning.

Right now I am successful at giving up the drink about half the time, and fighting really hard with my self descruction thirst to not drink while eating all the time.

uh.:)

Oh well. I'm trying. Just keep swimming, Tara.

I have also had trouble with not drinking with my meals. I have to really think about it. At work and home, I seem to be more aware of not drinking with my meals.

When you go out to eat, I get into trouble. The waiters/waitresses are always re-fililng your glass and look at you weird if you don't order a drink.

I read in Muhammad Ali's daughter's book (can't recall her name) that her surgeons and her suggest not drinking with meals when you eat out (only exception). I have been trying to drink my drink first when I get to the table and then not drinking at all during or after my meal. Its difficult to do this.

I miss drinking with meals, too, but am wondering if you experience what I do when I drink with meals - pain. It's unbelievably uncomfortable. It feels like the food down there just swells right up and then I'm done eating no matter what. Is anyone else like this?

I thought that not drinking while eating would be the hardest thing for me, but it isn't. Mine unfortunately is the speed. I eat my meals like I am in prison and someone is gonna take my food away from me. So, I am trying to chew, chew, chew...and wait, wait, wait before filling my gob:))

Not drinking is hard for me as well. I don't eat sweet things anymore and things are a little more salty/spicy. This always makes me want to drink and I have to really force myself not to do so.

Drinking when I work out is hard as well. I want to drink a lot but I am uncomfortable unless I am taking sips. I have a tendency to want to gulp when exercising.

It is such a catch 22, I have to drink tons of Water every day to get my quota in, but I can only drinking when I least want it :0).

Had to chime in and say, the no drinking while eating is a hard rule to follow, especially if the food is temp hot, or spicy. I do take itty bitty sips with my food. LOL, everytime I do this, I think of raccoons that wet their food to eat it, cause they have no saliva glands, I know I do, but they are underproducing I think.

Except when you have a sliming episode. Then they are in overdrive!!!:lol:

The hardest part of being banded for me is the socializing and eating business. I want to be mindful of how I eat, but I don't want to be scrutinized...it's a catch. I also don't want to get caught up in the conversation and take huge bites. Oh, and heavens if the host made something with skins (cucumber, Tomato, grapes) and I have to hack it up...

I want to eat by myself.

I miss drinking with meals, too, but am wondering if you experience what I do when I drink with meals - pain. It's unbelievably uncomfortable. It feels like the food down there just swells right up and then I'm done eating no matter what. Is anyone else like this?

No, no pain or it might be easier to stop.

I eat SO much more if I drink with my meals. I don't get hungry faster, I can just eat alot more...but maybe I don't get hungry faster because I ate so much more.

Either way IT STOPS today. I have made a promise to myself and I am going to keep it DAMN IT!

OHJuli- I feel like people who know I'm banded watch what I'm eating, made apparant when people say (before I've even taken one bite) Don't make yourself sick. People who don't know I'm banded seem confused that I'm so thick and eat so little. I don't care though. I think it's funny.

Juli, I completely hear where you are coming from. I don't mind eating with my family, they know and are understanding that I take small bites, chew forever, and just generally take a really long time to eat. My problem is my co-workers frequently want to go out for lunch. Only a few of them know about my band. Anyways, I always feel pressured when I go out with them, because I feel like I need to hurry and eat. I also find myself getting caught up in the conversation and not paying attention to what I am doing. Next thing I know, I am running for the nearest ladies room to pb. That is why most days I just bring my lunch and eat in my office behind closed doors where I can take my time.