Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July Butterflies Master Thread

Should I have my band tightened. I don't think I ever learned how to eat really small bites when it was tighten and then I threw up. That is why I had an unfill. What do you think? I don't get that full feeling after I eat and that is when I eat the ice cream.

It has taken me 7 mos to learn how to eat without getting stuck.....and I still get stuck. I got a fill on Monday and yesterday I ate half of an eggroll and got stuck. I ate it too fast and it had shrimp in it. If you are eating too fast and not chewing you probably are not too tight. If you are chewing your food good and throwing up......then maybe you are too tight. The band can be fickle. I believe I would have not lost this much weight without the band. It is work, but you can do it. Work with it and it will work for you.

I take ambien too. I break a 5mg in half.....sometimes I whole one. They are so expensive. I wish I could find something cheaper. I tried the time released and it gave me night terrors.

I also take Ambien, I'm on the CR (time released) but I'm gonna go back to the reg. after I finish these. My insurance covers the reg. but won't cover the CR and it cost me $122 for 21 pills That's just insane.

WOW! The Ambien CR gives me night terrors. I bought some stuff at GNC....5-HTP......have you heard of it. I saw an article in First magazine so I am going to try it.

I just don't know how to make the band work. Yesterday tried eating BBQ. The sandwich had beef and turkey. Took off almost all the bread. Didn't work. Threw that up. Ate some of the baked Beans threw that up. Then I tried eating the meat and threw that up. I gave up after that.

Last night tried to eat pizza, didn't work.

Saturday night I went to Longhorn and got a sirloin with baked potato and a salad. salad was fine but the sirloin was difficult had a lot of grissle. So I stopped eating dinner.

I am clueless and lost don't know what to eat.

It has taken me 7 mos to learn how to eat without getting stuck.....and I still get stuck. I got a fill on Monday and yesterday I ate half of an eggroll and got stuck. I ate it too fast and it had shrimp in it. If you are eating too fast and not chewing you probably are not too tight. If you are chewing your food good and throwing up......then maybe you are too tight. The band can be fickle. I believe I would have not lost this much weight without the band. It is work, but you can do it. Work with it and it will work for you.

I too haven't mastered what to eat, when to eat and how to eat it. I know what I need to do, but I have been resistant to change my behavior. I do much better when I'm eating around other people. I converse between bites and take more care to chew to avoid problems. When I'm alone or with my bf I tend to eat fast and sometimes too much.

I think the key thought in this all is that this is purely behavioral! If you can't change your behavior on your own and you feel that it is a hurdle you can't jump, outside help is needed. That is what dieticians, nutritionists and counselors are for. If you don't know how to change your oil do you just run your car until your engine burns up? No, you go to a professional and get it taken care of.

Edited by lovegrapes
clarification

I've tried a professional for over 2 years, meds, diets, you name it I've done it. I am in this mess and it is just a mess. Don't know any other way out. Tried the band not much working for me. I wanted the full feeling that is why I got the band and I have not had the pleasure of full feeling. Full feeling is suppose to help you not eat any more cause you are full. Over the Holidays when my band was super tight and I couldn't hardly eat anything I felt that I was beating the eating disorder but I couldn't eat so they loosened the band. Now I am back wanting and doing some of my old ways.

I've tried a professional for over 2 years, meds, diets, you name it I've done it. I am in this mess and it is just a mess. Don't know any other way out. Tried the band not much working for me. I wanted the full feeling that is why I got the band and I have not had the pleasure of full feeling. Full feeling is suppose to help you not eat any more cause you are full. Over the Holidays when my band was super tight and I couldn't hardly eat anything I felt that I was beating the eating disorder but I couldn't eat so they loosened the band. Now I am back wanting and doing some of my old ways.

I agree with lovegrapes. I think you might need to go back to your doctor and tell them your problem. I know in my situation my eating habits are my problem . I admit I thought the band was a somewhat of a majic bullet for me......I was wrong. It is just a tool. Now, had I had a gastric sleeve(insurance would not pay) I would have had a much easier time losing, and I probably would be close to goal. Anyway, what is the saying"Slow and steady wins the race".....that's me! That is why I have a turtle in the weeds on my ticker.

I have to get over the mental part of the eating thing too. Because I will always say I am hungry even if I am not really hungry. I guess I am hungry for other things so I substitute t with food, like I am sure a lot of us do. I think they call it self medicating with food. To me it seems so much better than drugs. The problem for me is we wear our problems on the outside of our bodies for everyone to see them. That is why I made myself a Bracelet that says take it slow and one day at a time. So I can try yo remember to slow down.

Charlene K I have to say when you said " That is why I have a turtle in the weeds on my ticker. It made me smile.

I just don't know how to make the band work. Yesterday tried eating BBQ. The sandwich had beef and turkey. Took off almost all the bread. Didn't work. Threw that up. Ate some of the baked Beans threw that up. Then I tried eating the meat and threw that up. I gave up after that.

Last night tried to eat pizza, didn't work.

Saturday night I went to Longhorn and got a sirloin with baked potato and a salad. salad was fine but the sirloin was difficult had a lot of grissle. So I stopped eating dinner.

I am clueless and lost don't know what to eat.

Joyful. I agree you should check with you Doctor. But would also like to point out that most of the foods you listed are not band friendly for alot of us. I know that I have given most of those up. I really think you need to check out recomended band diets, It really might help you with the rest of your journey.

WOW! The Ambien CR gives me night terrors. I bought some stuff at GNC....5-HTP......have you heard of it. I saw an article in First magazine so I am going to try it.
No I never heard of it. let me know if it works.

I can eat anything. My doc said that's the point, the band should allow you to eat like a normal person with the emphasis on Portion Control. I can't eat as much as I used to before banding and I chew very thoroughly. I don't try to eat steak for Breakfast but I've never been a breakfast person anyway. I seem to have hit a plateau between 174 and 176. At this point, I'm pretty convinced I need to really start an exercise program to get the weight moving again.

I continue to have pain issues which may be realted to the band. I had an appointment with my surgeon yesterday and he removed all the Fluid. He said if the problems continue he wants to do an exploratory laparoscopy. I really, really dont want to do this. He mentioned that he may want to convert to a gastric bypass if this persists. There is no way that I will consent to this. I fear that if he even goes in to do the laparoscopy that I will come out of surgery without a band.

I continue to have pain issues which may be realted to the band. I had an appointment with my surgeon yesterday and he removed all the Fluid. He said if the problems continue he wants to do an exploratory laparoscopy. I really, really dont want to do this. He mentioned that he may want to convert to a gastric bypass if this persists. There is no way that I will consent to this. I fear that if he even goes in to do the laparoscopy that I will come out of surgery without a band.
Have you considered the sleeve? I hope you don't lose your band but if it were me that would be my next and only other choice.

Lovegrapes, I would talk to them about a gastric sleeve if they take the band out. My doctor highly recommends them. I just wish my insurance would have paid for one. I asked the Dr. last week about it and he said ins co. are still not paying for it in Texas.