Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July Butterflies Master Thread

Hi all,

I have not posted in awhile but I am still here. I have been following closely. I have had really good weight loss and good restriction for the past few weeks. All of a sudden, now I am starving all the time. I wake up hungry and go to sleep hungry. Is it really true that as you lose and your stomach gets smaller, the band gets bigger and you need another fill? I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have to wait until the 13th and just hope I don't gain!

Wow Barb! You've had phenomenal weight loss. Yes, I've heard that as you lose weight, you may need lose restriction. Also, if this is sudden, you probably should ask your doctor to withdraw the Fluid to see if it's all there still as you may have developed a leak.

I finally broke 190! I'm 189.5. It took 2 1/2 weeks (the ticker said I last changed it on 11/14) to break but I broke it! WooHoo! Now I need to work on breaking 180.

This last fill is definitely giving me more restriction. Last night I had Tomato Soup made with goat's milk. I loved it but it didn't fill me up so I ended up popping a bag of popcorn. For the first time, the popcorn didn't slide right through the band; I could feel it sitting in my pouch. Not too tight and uncomfortable but I could feel it.

Congratulations, Donna! That is awesome. I am at 197 and can't wait to break 190!

Hi all,

I have not posted in awhile but I am still here. I have been following closely. I have had really good weight loss and good restriction for the past few weeks. All of a sudden, now I am starving all the time. I wake up hungry and go to sleep hungry. Is it really true that as you lose and your stomach gets smaller, the band gets bigger and you need another fill? I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have to wait until the 13th and just hope I don't gain!

I'm going through that. My last fill was so tight and now I really feel like I need one. I could eat more then I do. I'm told 3/4 of a cup and now I stop at 1 cup, But I have to wait for my fill because I have some other things going on right now. I am down 3 or 4 lbs and then back up and then back down. It takes 3 or so wks for a weight to stick for me. It's starting to drive me MAD.

OH, and congrats what an amazing weight loss

I am down 3 or 4 lbs and then back up and then back down. It takes 3 or so wks for a weight to stick for me. It's starting to drive me MAD.

I fluctuate 1-2 lbs but otherwise, the same type of cycle. It's our bodies adjusting to the weight loss and as long as it settles on the low number, we're still ahead of the game! You've been carrying this weight around for years so if it takes a few months or even 2 years to get rid of all of it, it's OK.

Hey ladies just wanted to say hi! Kimaly, have you heard any results yet, thinking about you and sending prayers your way. Great job on the weight loss everyone, keep it up!

Thank you but no. when I got there he had me down for a needle biopsy in his office and then they relized they needed to do it under ultra sound so I have to go back tuesday morning I wasn't sure what the heck they're talking about all I know is I'm still waiting. he said I'll have the results by next thursday or friday. Thank you for your concern.

I fluctuate 1-2 lbs but otherwise, the same type of cycle. It's our bodies adjusting to the weight loss and as long as it settles on the low number, we're still ahead of the game! You've been carrying this weight around for years so if it takes a few months or even 2 years to get rid of all of it, it's OK.
You are So right.

Band is finally working!!!!!!! I have had 8 fills and the 8th was two weeks ago. I posted on band not working and got some help. I didn't realize that I was eating soft foods and they went right through the band. I got my band July 4th and got used to it not working. So when it started working I didn't remember what to do since it had been 5 months. She said she eat food that was solid. I did and it works. I am just so excited. Tonight I had a frozen dinner that was 250 calories and I was stuffed.

Now it is figuring out what to do since I don't have food in my mouth all hours of the night! I wonder how long it takes to getting used to a new way of life? Did they say two years or was that just for total weight loss?

Does any one watch Big Medicine? His daughter and his sister (the Drs. are Father and son) had a lapband from them and she only weighed 187! They saw that she had a weight problem and it was only gettng worse. What do you think about this?

Edited by joiful

Band is finally working!!!!!!! I have had 8 fills and the 8th was two weeks ago. I posted on band not working and some help. I didn't realize that I was eating soft foods and they went right through the band. I got my band July 4th and got used to it not working. So when it started working I didn't remember what to do since it had been 5 months. She said she eat food that was solid. I did and it works. I am just so excited. Tonight I had a frozen dinner that was 250 calories and I was stuffed.

Now it is figuring out what to do since I don't have food in my mouth all hours of the night! I wonder how long it takes to getting used to a new way of life? Did they say two years or was that just for total weight loss?

Does any one watch Big Medicine? His daughter and his sister (the Drs. are Father and son) had a lapband from them and she only weighed 187! They saw that she had a weight problem and it was only gettng worse. What do you think about this?

I am so glad your band is finally working for you. Good doctors are conservative with the fills so it sometimes takes months. Dr. Garth Davis is my doctor. If his sister's BMI was high for her height and she wanted a band then I am sure that is why they put one in. Dr. Garth has been putting fills in me since July. If Fact, he had to unfill me last week because I kept pbing. I go next week to get a small fill . I am just now reaching a good restriction too. NOW, if I can get control of my "head hunger" I will be successful.

Joyful, I'm really excited for you. And I watch Big Medicine, I think it's ok to get the band at that weight. (stop it in it's tracks). I wish I could have gotten it before I got so big, then I wouldn't have had so much to lose and I would have been a lot healthier a lot sooner. some people will disagree with me but I also beleave the band is a great way to control weight gain in those who have a issues with it. I don't think people at a good weight should get it just to maintain. You should have some sort of weight issues. and to your question about getting use to the life style change:I think everyone is different, It's upto 2 years for your weightloss but I'm really ok with the lifestyle change already. I was really ready for this surgery and the changes I've made in my life haven't bothered me. The band just made it possible. Some people never get use to it. They are the ones that want their bands removed at no fault of the band and you here them always say my band is not working and truth be told they are not working their band. Hope this helps. And once again congrats!

I got up to 208 and so many people from this board was slamming me for getting the band so I stopped reading and posting. I was gaining at a huge speed, there was not stopping me I was eating because of why I always do that is how I handled life. My son was in the hospital off and on for 3 months some of that we were flown to Denver to a hospital there. I was consumed with guilt and worry. I was going to eat myself to death. I knew it saw me getting larger and and I HAD to do something to stop me in my tracks and I have tried all the pills, diets, depression med too etc. They were not going to work. I am gad some doctors can see when this is happenining. Just think how much heartache and health problems would have never been created if we had done this earlier. I was self paid cause no one would touch me at that weight. I didn't wait for months to see if my insurance would or gain more weight I knew I had an immediate problem.

I don't take any meds for depression anxiety or any mental meds. It was the obsession that was going to kill me. When you can't have the obsession you start getting the relief. Last night I was at a party. Saw cake, yummy chocolate cake. I thought I hadn't eaten dinner maybe I will have some. I forced myself to stay at the party and talk to people which is unusual. Usually I make an appearance and leave. I stayed talked and obsessed about the cake when a girl came over and only asked the thin person at the table if he wanted cake. He said he didn't do surgar. That is when I started thinking and looking at the cake. I went on talking and forgot about the cake. When I left went to my car I thought "Damn I wanted a piece of that cake!" If it was the old me I would have obsessed about that cake, called my husband to come and get him a piece and then I would have eaten my second and then asked my son to do the same. Things are a changin!

I ate a 250 calorie meal last night with chicken and mashed potatoes (having carb problems still). I was wondering how long should you stay full? If you are at your sweet spot would you get full fast and stay full for longer? I got full quick but then in tow hours could have ate some more. Is this right?

Kimaly, you are right on when it comes to me needing the band. I hadn't gained up to a lot of weight but I was headed there again. I have had weight problems since I was 20.

Hello July buddies!

It is nice to catch up with everyones progress. It sounds like the July Butterflies are doing pretty good. Just getting use to the new lfe style.

I am doing great. I started at 199.6 (5ft. 2 inches tall) Surgery was July 16th - I am at 164 today!!

I have had 4 fills and the last one hit the sweat spot for me. I am lovin it. I am not hungry, I can only eat about a cup of solid food at a time and am satisfied for several hours. I still struggle with ordering food out. I also order too much. I do much better at home. I finally bought a set of food scales. I think weighing my Protein will help me be more consistent.

I have experienced the ever popular PB'ing and food return!! Not pleasant but it does help one learn the limit.

I am soooo glad I got the lap band. It is just the tool I needed to help me set quanity limits. Although I was self pay; I consider it the best investment I have ever made.

Everyone have a great day, don't worry about those plateaus and flutating scales - we are doing it - the right way.