Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going back to work... just to be 100% certain...

I think I read this before, but I want to be sure.

From what I gather, my plan to get surgery on a Thursday and go back to work the following Monday should be fine. Right?

Because I was just on lapband.com FAQ's and it says the average is a week before someone can/should return to work.

I have a desk job and it would probably fine to wear sweats or something equally comfy to work (and bring a pillow etc).

Does surgery on Thursday then back to work on Monday sound like a good idea or bad idea?

I had my surgery on a Friday and returned on Wednesday. Felt pretty good other than a little soreness on the incisions. (I also had a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time.)

I think that's enough time.

i had my surgery on a monday and planned to go back to work the following monday but i just didn't think i was ready so i went back on that tuesday instead. tuesday was a rough day. i probably should have waited until the following wednesday or thursday. just listen to your body... if you feel fine then go back but if you don't think you're ready, take the extra time!

I had my surgery on Thursday and if I really had to, I could have gone back to work on Monday. I took the whole week off though (just because I could) and I'm so glad I did. I was getting tired easily, and I had days where my port was pretty tender if I leaned forward while I was sitting. Again... I could have dealt with it if I'd had to go back to work but it was a nice little luxury not having to deal with it.

I had my surgery on Friday, 6/27 and went back to work today. I made it from 8:00 through noon. I wasn't in a lot of pain, just very uncomfortable...i.e. not being able to stand up straight after sitting down, having trouble concentrating. It just feels so much better to sit in a big cushy chair, in a nightgown with no clothing restriction!! I'm going to continue to try to work, because I don't want to burn up vacation days, but it's not as easy as some make it seem.

I had to take a week and a half off, it just depends on how you feel and what your doctor says, definately take it easy if you do return early. Dont lift heavy things, and try to keep moving to keep the gas pain down. Be careful.

I have a desk job. I had surgery on Friday and went to work the next Tuesday. It was ok but I was really tired. There were times were I felt like I could have taken a nap on my desk. I also couldn't concentrate well enough to focus on anything much more than mundane, repetitive tasks not requiring a lot of thought.

I think it is entirely possible to do it. However, you should leave yourself open to the possibility of taking a little extra time and/or leave early if necessary.

I had surgery on a Monday and tried to go back to work on Friday but didn't make it 2 hours. I even ran a low grade fever that night--I was totally zonked. I went back to work on Monday and felt amazingly much better. I would really recommend taking off 1 week.

I think you should not rush it. I am not back to work just yet but that is because of another surgery. Listen to your body. If you can take the time off, take it. It is better to be as close to 100% as possible.

But being tired seems to be one of the top concerns with going back to work. Good luck!!

I had my surgery on 6/26 and I am not going back until 7/7 I took a whole week and what 2 days so what I so need it. I had a hard time coming out of this surgery and I so need the rest. Besides the 4th of July is a paid holiday for me so I took the whole week. I say too listen to your body I went to Walmart yesterday and got a few things and I had to tell my driver to lets go I was tired and a little nausea. For some they bounce back hard and happy but for me Ha! i am just on my way bouncing back LOL!!! Good luck!

I am having my surgery on Wednesay and I will be back to work on Monday.

hi there, i had surgery on 6/10 and tried to go back to work on the following monday. couldn't do it. too tired, sore and could not concentrate (much like others are saying). i had the time off available and have a great boss so i took that week off and by the following monday 6/23, i felt way better and could really do my job.

i would go by how you feel. and give yourself a break if you need it. this is easy for some and not so easy for others. it all depends on your body. whatever your body needs to heal, that's what counts. take care!

I think everyone is different. I had my surgery on Thursday, June 19, and went back to work the next day, Friday, the 20th. I had no problems at all, and have been at work every day since then.

wow Lynnie77! that is truly amazing! good for you! i had heard such things before my surgery and expected i would do something like that too but no, didn't happen. it just takes what it takes. some have great recoveries, like you!, and some take longer, like me.