Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How come the weight isn't coming off?

I need some help. Maybe I haven't been eating enough, I'm not really sure. But I lost three pounds after my surgery, and then stopped and then gained them back. I admit that I haven't been working out as much as I should have been in the beginning, but I am now. I am on the elliptical machine for at least 30 minutes and I also do the Biggest loser DVD in the morning before work. I'm trying to do that everyday, the dvd in the morning and the elliptical machine when I get off work. I'm at the exact weight that I was when I got the surgery. I'm eating more fish and salad, or a small steak and chicken. My husband says that I'm not eating enough, but how is that possible. :confused2:

Breakfast either two or three eggs scrambled and a Protein shake when I get to work

Lunch: Medium size salad from a resturant or grilled chicken breast or tuna salad. Protein Shake

Dinner: Fish, deviled eggs, small steak, salad and veggies.

What am I doing wrong. Please help!:thumbup:

You haven't had any fills yet, so you are probably still eating too much. This healing time is a very rough time for most. Your stomach has almost healed and you have little or no restriction. Most doctors will tell you not to worry about small weight gains during this time, this is the time for healing only. Once you have your fills at the right level you will only eat 1-2 eggs for Breakfast, and 2-3 ozs of chicken and 1/2 cup salad for lunch. You should get to where you can eat 3/4 to 1 cup of food total at each meal. At the moment you might be consuming too many calories with the Protein Shakes also. Try tracking your food intake and see how your Protein levels and calories are. You may find that you don't need the protein shakes and this will drastically reduce your calorie intake. Once you get restriction you might be able to get by with 900-1200 calories a day. i try to keep mine around 800-1000 a day.

I was talking with a personal trainer a couple of weeks ago and he said that you should consume 1200 calories a day in order for your body to not go into a slowdown. He said anything much below that point causes your metabolism to start slowing down. I have been recording my calories on dailyplate.com and using 1200 as a goal and my weight is gradually dropping. It has been three weeks and I have lost 14 lbs. I am exercising an hour twice a week and walking on some of the other days for a mile or so. Not real strenuous but at least something to begin the process with. I was not a big exerciser prior to lapband. I hope to do better each day now that I at least have the two day process going on. I find that using dailyplate is a terrific way for me to monitor my eating and exercise goals. Give it a try.

I will try using Dailyplate.com and using that 1200 calorie count as my goal. I know my Protein drinks are about 110 calories each, and then the eggs in the morning are nothing at all. Then the salad, I try to keep that to about two cups and the chicken breasts and fish are usually grilled same thing with the steaks, so it might be that I'm not eating enough. I drink a lot of Water, about 4 20oz bottles at least a day, so that is over the amount. When it gets boring I add a crystal light packet to it to give it some flavor.

I never thought that what I was eating was so low calorie that it may acutally cause me to stall my weight loss. Thanks for the ephiphany :thumbup:. Maybe I just need to add some more food of substance. I was continuing the Protein Drinks in fear that I wasn't getting the 60grams that was recommended. I just need to make sure that I am eating right and still working out. I plan on being hott by my birthday which is in October. So we will see.

Wish me luck ladies! :biggrin2:

i was baned on the 5th of may i lost 34 but gained 5 pounds then as of today i lost the five i gained .so whats up with that? i know i can eat anything so far ( i make healthy choices) i drink plenty of Water, i walk 2miles 3-4 times a week but not even the Doc can answer as to why i gained... so every ones different however i have lost inches im pretty happy about that BUT i want the scale to go down or stand still not go up am i wrong for thinking that way??? hummm. i know a lady in my area lost 40 pounds but in 2yrs has lost 8 dress sizes now go fig on that.... but that's what the doctor told me. if i lost 8 dress sizes that would take me from a 24w (now 20w) to a size 10 my goal is a 16 reg. so keep up the good work get the protien in and walk it out if nothing else.