Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when did you feel restriction?

i had my surgery on april 8th. i just went in for my 3rd fill this past wednesday. i'm still not feeling much restriction. i can drink an entire glass of Water without sipping. i can eat more than a few ounces - in fact, i'm sure i could eat an entire plate of food (and have a few times).

i've lost right at 20lbs since surgery. i made an appt for my 4th fill so i can get the band tighter, but i have to wait until july 8th.

please let me know if you had the same issues with restriction as i am. i'm starting to get frustrated. :tt2:

thank you!

Are you following the band rules? Are you on liquids for 48 hours after a fill then moving to soft/pureeds working your way back up to regular foods?

I had my second fill on Wednesday (banded April 28) and after a few bites of mashed otatos last night, I could not eat any more. I hopefully am at my sweet spot 5cc in 10cc band. (haven't changed my ticker yet)

Had my first fill last Wednesday 3cc in a 10cc band and I feel NOTHING.......going Monday for another fill.

I have also heard that restriction can happen up to 2 to 3 weeks after your fill.....so please dont get them too close. Over-fill is not fun....I have a friend that got on overfill and she was not a happy camper.

Had my first fill last Monday 1cc in a 10cc band and feel nothing. going for another fill this Monday. My Doc gives no restriction after a fill just whatever feels ok. not sure why eating liquids would make a difference. I hope I get restriction this time. If not I'll make sure and get back within another 1 to 2 weeks. working on willpower and exercise right now.

Elaine

Guest ZenGarden

It can often take six months or so to achieve great restriction or the proverbial 'sweet spot' you hear about. I am 15 months post-op and am on full number 8. I was finally able to tell I even had a band about 4 months ago (almost one year post-op), but I still struggle with lack of restriction and have from day one. The band is a tool that is different for everyone...some people lose the standard 1-2 pounds per week and others don't. Some people on here have only had one fill and have great restriction, while others have had 6 or 8 fills and still barely feel anything.

You will typically feel a bit more restriction after about 3 fills...the main thing during this "bandster hell' phase is to try and not get discouraged. I know for me, I thought I would wake up with the band and immediately have restriction and not be hungry again. Unfortunately, this just isn't the case. I have heard on occasion from a few bansters here, that their doctors gave them a partial fill during surgery. I wish that had been the case for me.

Keep us posted on your progress and keep up the good work.

I was bandrd April 1 and I am down 27pounds. Got 1st fill 5 weeks out then second fill on the 8th of this month to make it a 2.2cc in my 4cc band. First fill I could chug Water and had NO issues. Now its definatly better. I can drink about 3 quick sips and I feel like its backing up. Nuts and chicken and refried Beans go down more slowly. MY big issue is getting my sorry as& up and excersise! I am eating less than before yet I still think I could use another fill to maybe a 2.8. I want a little more restriction. Try and follow the rules of protien first. Itll help keep you fuller longer. I have learned that certain trigger foods set me off on a binge of soft low fat foods. Just like before when I would graze on my days off of work on unhealthy foods but now I have healthier foods in the house. They still nag at me to eat them but the difference is I am always thinking about my band and how far Ive come. I know I cant expect my band to stop my cravings but IT does make me THINK about what I am putting in my mouth. I think thats way more important than the fills I keep relying on.

Yes, the day I get my fills, I do liquids for 24 hrs. Then I move to soft foods for 24 hrs and then back to solids.

Are you following the band rules? Are you on liquids for 48 hours after a fill then moving to soft/pureeds working your way back up to regular foods?

thanks to everyone for their replies. i appreciate it!

like i said, i'm hoping that my 4th fill will be the one i need. it's hard not to get discouraged when i have no restriction.... sometimes i wonder if i'll ever be able to tell i had the surgery! thanks for understanding.

Wonder why my doc doesn't have the liquid, mushy rule? He honestly said be careful see what you can tolerate.

Oh well 1 cc made no difference and I could tolerate anything.. maybe this week it will be different.

My doctor doesn't have the liquid rule or any rule for that matter after a fill.

I'm hoping Monday he will get me to a good point cause the 3cc last Wednesday did nothing and I swear I'm eating more :( I could munch on a cow and it would go down no problem :angry:

Well my band came with a pre-fill of 3'cc's and my first fill i got 2cc's added now i have a pretty good restriction but with about 2more cc's im sure i will be perfect.... I think it is a waste of time for a Dr. to only put 0.25 cc's or 1'cc in a band when u don't have a restriction or a fill at all... wow..

My doctor doesn't have the liquid rule or any rule for that matter after a fill.

I'm hoping Monday he will get me to a good point cause the 3cc last Wednesday did nothing and I swear I'm eating more :crying: I could munch on a cow and it would go down no problem :thumbup:

LOL, I just told my friend almost the exact same thing yesterday! I said that my fill did nothing for me and that I could probably swallow a Water buffalo and it would slip right through my band! I can't get another fill for 6 weeks, this is the pits!!

It took me about 8 fills and 8 months to get to a place that felt right. It is frustrating to go so slow, but in the long run porbably better for the body. Good luck my friend it will be ok.

I was banded in August and got proper restrict by early February. It was awesome when I reached my sweet spot.

I will be getting a complete defill next month, as I am having a TT. I am kinda scared that it will again take 6 months to find the sweet spot.