Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Carol... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :party:WTG!!! I'm so proud of your hard work and accomplishment! You've been so diligent and motivated, it makes me so happy for you.

Jane... YEAH... CONGRATULATIONS TOO!!! I'm envious of your time. I've been at this awhile now and am hoping to run it sub 40min! Great job!

Malissa... good job on week 2!

Ok, I've been off now for 2 weeks. I had minor surgery last week, and am now all healed so I can start running again. I've really missed it and the feeling it gives me.

thanks kathy! your personal best is 35:37, so you are faster than me!

glad you are healed and had a successful surgery. isnt it great that you actually MISS exercising!?!? i love that i actually miss it if i have to go without a day. i am going to be out of town this thursday to sunday and know i won't be able to go the whole time without exercising, nor do i want to! i'm thinking i'll have to just find the time, maybe wake up early, to get a workout in. (omg-- going for a morning jog outside? SO not the old me!) curious to know how you guys exercise when on vacation. i won't have a gym around.... and it will be 100 degrees. it will be hot but i think i'd prefer to run outside than to not exercise at all!

thanks Kathy and Sizanne, youre both inspirations to me. so i feel like im learning from the best.

suzanne every time i think about crapping out i think of you when you ran w/ the navy guy at work. lol. something really motivating about that for me. :rolleyes2:

Kathy, glad things went well, hope to see you posting a bunch again!

Jane, i run at nite. now, i know thats not for everyone, but two suggestions - 1. try www.active.com and look up the areas where u r tarveling. and 2. look up on the net any running stores in that area to see if they know about any running clubs u can connect with. maybe meet a buddy to run with so youre not running at nite by yourself in an unfamiliar area. hope this helps.

well i have happy news. another long time friend of hubby and me commented to me on Facebook that my posts about my running stats have inspired him to get back into running. its been over 3 yrs since he did any running, and of course hes passed me in like 5 days. lol. he's run every day since he started (like 4 days) and has gone from 1.5 miles to over 3 already. but i did invite him to do the 5k with me. i told him not to wait for me to catch up since hes probably got a much longer stride than my short stubbies. but it'll be nice to have a friend there if he does. i'll ttyl. shooting for a run tomorrow. was almost considering running again tonite, but im being snsible for now.

tc all,

Carol

thanks carol, i will check out that site for sure!

okay and i have to update from my last post! (this is the only place i really feel comfortable talking about my running goals; everyone else my age is running 8 minute miles or less, so my runs arent that impressive in my mind and i dont feel like sharing with my "real life" friends! so thanks guys for being so supportive in here)

kathy, i have to give a personal shout out to you. after i responded to your post about your personal best of 35:37, i went to the rec to run around the track again. i had forgotten the track closes at 8 p.m. and i got there at 7:23, EXACTLY enough time to try to beat my last run where i did 3.1 miles in 37 minutes. well either it was the pressure of finishing before it closed, the motivation to match your time, or all the really hot guys running around the track at the same time i was (gotta stay close behind for a good view right?? haha) .... but i finished 3.1 miles in 35:30!!! so, sorry kathy for beating you... but i AM practicing for a race right?? :rolleyes2: haha now i fully expect you to go out there and try to beat MY personal best! thanks for the kick in the rear, even if you never meant to!

i love it jane. a friendly competition. :rolleyes2: im just hoping for 45 minutes or less on my run. i'll let u know, friends.

i forgot this part. i do have another friend who i wish could see my post about the run. hes been absent for way too long, and i miss him. i'll think about an email after i get my official time. im getting a lot of confidence in so many areas from the running, but i just need a bit more to send that particular message out when i get my stats.

tc,

Carol

Ran 5K number 3 on Sunday - did better than I thought I would since I have not been super motivated to train lately! I ran in 35.48, slower than my 2nd, but faster than my 1st!

I am looking forward to running again this weekend. Have another 5K that is the same route as the sprint tri I am doing in a couple of weeks. Thought it would be a good run through.

Starting today! My goal is to run a 5k by my birthday... exactly 2 months from today. :tongue2: Wish me luck.

Ran 5K number 3 on Sunday - did better than I thought I would since I have not been super motivated to train lately! I ran in 35.48, slower than my 2nd, but faster than my 1st!

Just a reminder, all 5ks are not created equal, terrain and weather can be a big factor. I discovered this thread/program after I had already completed my first 5k, so I hope I'm not intruding, but there are a ton of 5Ks over this coming (US) holiday weekend. I encourage everyone to try it, they all seem to have people of all abilities and ages. Lots of runners, walkers and run/walkers. Easy way to get a shirt that gets a lot of respect when you where it.

Jane... WTG!!! Great time, and I love your competition! BTW, my personal best was 1 time, and it wasn't a race, so I'm not 100% sure I actually did a full 5k in that time, but it feels good to say it. The last time I ran the race route (so I'm sure of the distance) I did it in 40:10, and felt like I was running faster than usual, so I'm guessing the other PB time wasn't accurate. But I'm so glad my posted time served as an inspiration to you to challenge yourself!!! You will be faster than your friends in no time!

I'm so glad this thread is inspiring so many people. It's been my source of motivation and place of belonging for so long. Unfortunately, some of my early day friends have dropped off, but I'm glad more people are here to keep this alive!

Here's some news from me... The 2010 Winter Olympics are being held in Vancouver, Canada. So there are a few opportunities available for Canadians to carry the Olympic Torch in the Torch Run. I enterred a contest with Coke to carry the torch as it passes through my city. The contest is first a random draw and then those drawn have to write an essay on how they live an active lifestyle. So I got lucky and won the random draw and have now submitted my essay. I wrote about my weight loss journey and how I have become a runner. From the essays submitted, they will choose the winners to carry the torch. I find out between July 30-Aug 5 if I am selected. I am so hopeful. How amazing would that be... what an awesome way to crown off my journey!

kathy thats awesome! i hope you get selected! last year i had an amazing internship as a reporter at the beijing summer olympics, and it was the best experience of my entire life. of course, this was before my surgery and at the height of my weight at 260 lbs, and there were so many reasons for me to be unhappy (i worked in the gymnastics venue so everyday i was working with teeny tiny girls, i couldnt fit into my work uniforms -- even the biggest guy's size pants -- and i was too out of shape to walk very far on tours of the city, couldn't really walk the great wall, etc). I had the best time of my life but I wish I could do it all over again now that i am in much better shape.

the olympics is such a great environment to be a part of-- it is really one of the big motivators i have had this year. i hope you can be a part of that torch run! you would get to carry that olympic spirit with you and i bet it would be the world's best motivator-- you'd probably even bump up your 5k speed! oh yeah and, about that, dont make excuses about your personal best-- because it is just that, a personal BEST! even if you cant match it all the time, you were able to accomplish it at some point and that is amazing in and of itself!

Here's some news from me... The 2010 Winter Olympics are being held in Vancouver, Canada. So there are a few opportunities available for Canadians to carry the Olympic Torch in the Torch Run. I enterred a contest with Coke to carry the torch as it passes through my city. The contest is first a random draw and then those drawn have to write an essay on how they live an active lifestyle. So I got lucky and won the random draw and have now submitted my essay. I wrote about my weight loss journey and how I have become a runner. From the essays submitted, they will choose the winners to carry the torch. I find out between July 30-Aug 5 if I am selected. I am so hopeful. How amazing would that be... what an awesome way to crown off my journey!

Kathy~ That would be so great if you were selected - you deserve it, you are an inspiration for many of us! Keep us posted when you hear something. How exciting!:thumbup:

Just a reminder, all 5ks are not created equal, terrain and weather can be a big factor. I discovered this thread/program after I had already completed my first 5k, so I hope I'm not intruding, but there are a ton of 5Ks over this coming (US) holiday weekend. I encourage everyone to try it, they all seem to have people of all abilities and ages. Lots of runners, walkers and run/walkers. Easy way to get a shirt that gets a lot of respect when you where it.

I would second what Bill says! Get out and do a 5K - almost every race in our area is run/walk. There are tons of people out of all abilities and it is a fun gathering of people.

Gotta love the shirts! I had my Pacific Crest shirt on when I went to the pool this morning and ended up in a great conversation with the director at the pool. The shirts are definitely fun to wear and you are almost always supporting a great cause when you participate in a 5K.

Gotta get out and hit the pavement this afternoon! Want to put in at least 2 miles, if not 3!

Kathy im with Ktork and Jane. but if they don't select you - theyre insane. just make sure they know what an inspiration u are to all of us. if you need an endorsement, i'd be willing! definitely keep us posted.

lufferly, i really applaud your decision to start today. just 1 word of advice: patience. several of us have had to repeat weeks here and there, and this is by no means failure in the event of an extension IF its necessary. ive told the ppl here that my mantra is: improvement is better than perfection. and IF you dont get to the graduation by your birthday, you are still giving yourself a wonderful gift by working on YOU. you're worth it and EVERY step makes you stronger physically and emotionally!

that last sentence goes for all of us.

Bill welcome back. its nice to see men post ere again too. gives me a different persective. thanks. oh, and i love the shirts too. i feel really cool wearing them. :thumbup:

TC,

Carol

Edited by slinky
added 2 sentences.

i forgot to add something cute. I was talking to DH today about running. he told me ive gone from half-baked couch potato to hot tamale!!! lol its a play on the couch to 5k. cute, huh?

Carol

Carol... LOL... hot tamale!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

I ran today on my treadmill. I pushed myself to run at a higher speed. Just about killed me, but it was great.