Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

I've been MIA as well Georgia... Its been very busy at work and home that I haven't had time to be online, but I have been running. My Nike+ died on me last week, but I think I've fixed it.

I got home early today and it is beautiful outside, so I'm going to go for a nice run without the worry of getting home to get dinner on, etc...

I just took my measurements and was pleased to see all the right things happening. Fat% declining, Muscle Mass increasing... yeah! I love running.

Yesterday I saw my neighbors for the first time since last fall... they had a baby over the winter and haven't been out much. They were shocked at my transformation... I love those moments. "Here, can I help you pick up your chin" LOL!!!

Keep up the great work everyone.

Looks like everyone's disappeared!!! Must be a long weekend down there!

Grrrrr... I'm so frustrated with my Nike+. For the last week or so, every run goes unmeasured. It starts out ok, and even many of them have ended right so I know my distance and pace, but when I sync it its just not there. I've reset my iPod a few times hoping that will work, but nothing so far. I'm wondering if the piece that goes into my iPod is broken. So frustrating!

yes, kathy, its memorial day on monday. i can imagine your frustration though. it took me waaaay too long to sync my new mp3 to include the podrunner series. i got my songs but not the series whenever i tried. I still dont have it set into files right, but at least i can listen to the sets on it.

i ran last nite very late. (i spent most of the evening trying to load the mp3 and getting psyched up for it.) i had a hard time getting motivated but i managed to get out there just b4 11pm. I made a promise to a friend and hubby. the set went well till the rain started just after the 25 min run. I discovered that even though im on week 7, i like the music slightly better on the week 6 run. and since they're both 25 min, i just did the week 6 run. i think i may do this week a few more times for the conditioning.

every time i do the 25 mins, i am very sore going up the stairs to my room for a shower. but after 3 advil and sleep, i managed to wake up not totally achy today. and, the breathing is doing somewhat better too. i still feel congested in my chest when i do a long (long - for me that is) run. so, progress again. :wink2:

still looking to run the 5k in July, i hope i'll be ready. if not, i'll still do it but may have to walk some.

tc and ttys,

Carol

Carol... good for you in getting out there, even though it was so late. I know what you mean about feeling pain after a long run. Mine is usually a few hours later or the next day, I'm a bit acky and stiff. However, climbing stairs is always a pain for me. Go figure... I can run 5k or more without knee pain, but I can't climb stairs at all. Arthritis. Funny how running doesn't hurt it but the motion of climbing up or down stairs does. I imagine riding a bike might too... don't know.

Ok, I've just enjoyed some amazing red wine, an excellent BBQ dinner, and now the kids are in bed and my DH is grilling fresh pinnapple that's been marinading in maple Syrup with cinnamon (sugar free). Ohhh this is going to be yummy. Its been a great day. Happy Memorial Day weekend.

I just got new running shoes and they are Nike so I can put my sensor in my sole! I'm psyched.

2 days until my cast comes off!!!!

A walking boot for 3 weeks

I cant wait to walk again

I am dreaming of running.

Hey I think I lost some weight during this whole thing - I can't image how. It is hard to guess the weight with this cast on. But I did my measurements and I am down a few more inches overall. Yeah.

I would love to reach goal by my banding anniversay; but I am so happy with where I am and proud of what I have achieved.

enjoy the weekend. lly

I calibrated my Nike+ again with my new shoes today. It's supposed to be more accurate. I guess we'll see.

I just got home from my Gate to Gate 4.4 mile race and came in sub-50 at 49:36!! This is *the* race I have been training for. I didn't sleep at all last night, stressed that I wouldn't do very well, since my training have been off since my gall bladder surgery and recent illness. I even forgot to eat before heading out...LOL! I made it though!

I think I am done racing till fall though, it is starting to get oppressively hot for running here...we shall see though, I love the hype on race day!

I am hoping someone can answer a question about excercise. I just worked out for the first time in 16 months (following a bad injury) and I did 7 mins on an eliptical machine and 1 hr of an intense Water aerobics class and I am having intense stomach pain. Please tell me that's just excercise and will get better b/c I am scared to go back to my water aerobics class tonite. Happy Memorial Day!

Katie

weight.png

Are you hydrated? What have you eaten? Where are you with your Protein?

Was this the FIRST time exercising since your illnesses? May be too much too soon, huh???

slow and steady wins the race!!!!!!

(I am so good at advise and so bad at taking it.

Are you hydrated? What have you eaten? Where are you with your Protein?

Was this the FIRST time exercising since your illnesses? May be too much too soon, huh???

slow and steady wins the race!!!!!!

(I am so good at advise and so bad at taking it.

I am hydrated well, eating the right amount of protein daily and ate a couple of hrs prior to excercising. This literally was the first real movement I have had in 16 months. Most of last year was in a hospital, then a nursing home to learn how to walk again, then wheelchair, crutches and walker for almost all of last year. I am motivated to work out but I just didn't know where this pain was from. I can tell in my legs after the eliptical...that burn...but after Water aerobics this was gut wrenching abdominable pain but then again...it was a really intense workout. My one dr. told me to just be careful b/c my muscles were atrophied from all that last year. Thanks for writing, I will remember to just take it slow. I didn't get this way overnight that's for sure. Slow and steady does win the race :lol:

Katie

weight.png

I'm looking for a fresh start for my lap band weight loss and this is the PERFECT place to start. Thank you for this post!

I am starting the couch to 5k program tomorrow morning.

My first goal is to walk in the 5k Beach to Chowder Run

My big goal is to run in the 5k Race for the Cure on Sept. 5th in Portland.

If there's anyone from the NW here you're welcome to join me.

Kathy

I DID IT!!!!! I ran today!! This is the first run I have logged on Nike Plus since Feb 1. Wow, that is almost 4 months of no running. That is TOOOO long even for an all or nothing person like me.

I ran 2.12 miles in 24.01 minutes. My average pace was 11.18. Not bad for 4 months off. It feels REALLY good to have run. I ran on our land. It is 80 degrees here, but most of it was shaded. It is a little hilly, but I figure the cross country running will be good for me.

I am so glad to be back in the saddle. I joined the current challenge. I know it is over Monday, but I can log a few runs between now and then.

BTW, I was reading old posts, and kathy, you look absolutely amazing in your new dresses. COngrats to you. I desire to have your consistancy. You are amazing!!

wow renewed its really good to hear from you again. congrats on the 2+ mile run.

I ran almost 25 mins again. I guess im done with week 7 though. todays slightly abbreviated run was not my fault. one of the ppl in my neighborhood from the other side of the lake, had his dogs and one caught him by surprise when i came around the corner and the dog pulled the leash out of his hand. He has a hard time controlling them on a good day. at any rate they were jumping on me as i rounded his part of the lake, and i really had to stop cuz the more i moved the more they jumped. these dogs jump on their sliding glass door when ever ppl go by walking or running by the house too. a few times i thougth they may even go thru the glass door some day. ugh. was a bit disappointed to not get the whole 25 mins in, but im counting it anyway.

it was a nice run, and i enjoyed running in the constant but light drizzle. kept me a bit cooler, though id have appreciated having a tiny bit of air moving around. without the sun beating down, i was able to do a somewhat earlier run, so i feel like i accomplished something. next run may be delayed a bit due to having friends visiting this week, but i plan to move up to the 28 min run. hope i can feel good about adding 3 little ole mins. :blush:

tc and ttys,

Carol

Welcome back Renewed... I missed you! Congrats on the run, and thanks for your comments!

Lyn... is the cast off?? How is the walking cast going? You'll be back up and around soon.

Carol... congrats on week 7. Keep at it, you're doing so great.

I had a run yesterday that was amazing. I did about 5k and my pace for the first 3k was so fast, and I felt really strong. I slowed down a bit after a really steep hill, but still finished really well. I felt great. I love those types of runs. the ones that you know in the first few minutes that everything's aligned right, and one that you enjoy it during the run... not just after the run. I also had a great runner's high afterwards.