Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone also have MS who has had lapband surgery?

A lumbar puncture is the next step if the doctor thinks he needs to. I had a vision test and a MRI of my neck also and they were ok. I have an appointment in July and he told me he will do another MRI of my brain to see if there are any changes. I think my age is one reason he is reluctant to say it is MS as I am 62. Most cases I have heard of are diagnosed much earlier--it is all so confusing.

Hi guys, I don't have MS, but my husband does. He was diagnosed in 04-05. He is on Rebif. We were in the Military and they kept thinking he was lying because his symptoms were so bad (Numbness in both feet and hands, pain in back, Migraines, swaggering gate). They attributed it to a back problem. They gave him the choice of having surgery on his back or opting out of the Military, so we ended up doing surgery on his back (thinking it was a back problem). The spine didn't fuse and the Dr. clipped a nerve and caused a rare nerve disease in his foot. (RSD) They Medically retired him, then months later he went blind in one eye. They did an MRI and he had over 25 lesions on his brain. The IV Steroids got his vision back, but he is in so much pain from the failed spinal fusion and nerve disease, he is miserable. His last MRI showed that the lesions had almost all gone away . . . the Dr. seemed amazed. He has developed a couple more lesions on his spine, but his brain no longer looks like a glow stick!

It is really nice to know that you guys are doing so well with LapBand and living with MS to boot! I can only imagine how strong you all are.

Tess,

That is great. I hope it works out for you and you feel like being involved with the bikethon next time. Thanks for the weblink! It just takes so many people to make an impact. I had friend who did the ms walk this year. We will be even more involved next time.

Take Care,

Friend

A lumbar puncture is the next step if the doctor thinks he needs to. I had a vision test and a MRI of my neck also and they were ok. I have an appointment in July and he told me he will do another MRI of my brain to see if there are any changes. I think my age is one reason he is reluctant to say it is MS as I am 62. Most cases I have heard of are diagnosed much earlier--it is all so confusing.

Jill,

I sure hope you get some answers soon. We all just want to feel well, don't we, no matter how old we are!

You take care!

Friend

Hi guys, I don't have MS, but my husband does. He was diagnosed in 04-05. He is on Rebif. We were in the Military and they kept thinking he was lying because his symptoms were so bad (Numbness in both feet and hands, pain in back, Migraines, swaggering gate). They attributed it to a back problem. They gave him the choice of having surgery on his back or opting out of the Military, so we ended up doing surgery on his back (thinking it was a back problem). The spine didn't fuse and the Dr. clipped a nerve and caused a rare nerve disease in his foot. (RSD) They Medically retired him, then months later he went blind in one eye. They did an MRI and he had over 25 lesions on his brain. The IV Steroids got his vision back, but he is in so much pain from the failed spinal fusion and nerve disease, he is miserable. His last MRI showed that the lesions had almost all gone away . . . the Dr. seemed amazed. He has developed a couple more lesions on his spine, but his brain no longer looks like a glow stick!

It is really nice to know that you guys are doing so well with LapBand and living with MS to boot! I can only imagine how strong you all are.

Wendy,

Oh my gosh...bless your hubby's heart. He has been through so much!!! I'm glad he got his vision back. But, why oh why, did they not listen to and pay attention better to his symptoms. A brain scan back then could have told them so much.

Having said that, I went for years with docs blaming a lot of mine on my back. Which I did have surgery for a ruptured disc. So that was legit. But we just trust the doctors, don't we.

I"m sorry your husband is going through this. My thoughts are with you both.

~Friend

Wendy, Is Rebiff a once a day injection? I hope your hubby is doing well. Sorry about all that he went through and is going through. MS is bad enough. Having a doctor make a mistake is unthinkable. My MS doctor recently sent a letter out to all of his patients that he is no longer accepting insurance. Cash only. Guess that tells me how this doc feels about his patients. How many are going to pay cash and then send the bill to their insurance themselves? That means he will be out of network. $140 for an office visit. I have to find a new doc.

Bobbie

Thank you guys for the comments. Rebif is injected 3 times a week. It seems to be working great, but who really knows?

I can't believe your Dr., that is horrible. Thank God we have great insurance, the shots are over 150 a pop otherwise.

You guys really are inspirational.

Maybe not too common of a combination... Am I alone? I was diagnosed with MS after my lapband surgery. It's a lot to deal with.

I was dx in September last year and banded in April. If you would like, pm me and we can chat if you aren't comfortable on this message board talking about it.

Hi I have Ms too. I have M.S. and the Lap Band recently I have seen ligature that says people with an autoimmune condition can not have the Lap band. MS is a auto autoimmune condition. Have you heard anything about that? How are you doing with your lap band? When did you get your lap band? Have you lost any weight? Please respond as soon as possible. My alternative e-mail address is lenaa@wowway.com. I check that box regularly.

Maybe not too common of a combination... Am I alone? I was diagnosed with MS after my lapband surgery. It's a lot to deal with.

I havent been officially dxd just possible ms. Been testing for quite some time now still with no dx. cant say it is for sure or not, but my symptoms are, facial spasms including tongue and cheeks, leg weakness with pins and needles in legs with popcorn spasms, uncontrollable movement of my toes, spasms in neck and arms. etc etc. I used to get sensations where i felt half blind and the top of my head felt numb. I cant say im in the same boat but im still waiting to see whats wrong with me. Everyone was hoping my weight loss would remove the symptoms, and maybe i havent lost enough but after 32 pounds. things are the same. with some days being worse than others for sure. Anyhoo, we went ahead with the band while i was still undiagnosed because well ,we just dont know for sure, and the risk of me staying obese was a danger to my life for sure. after 32 pounds i feel better exercising like being able to walk for at least 20 min. which i will do everyday. keep me updated on your progress :)

That was the way it was for me too. No one really knew what was going on with me but they did know that it was something. I finally had a spinal which for the most part confirmed that I had MS (DX. 2004). My major concern with my Dx and the Lap Band is that there has been recent advertisements for the Lap Band that state if you have an autoimmune condition you do not qualify for the Lap Band. Have you ever heard this and if so why would they say that????

Hello i know this post is old so am writing to see if anyone is still on this site that can answer a few questions. i have multiple sclerosis and just want to know abt the lap band in the multiple sclerosis together so if ur getting this and you have multiple sclerosis please shot me a not so we can chat thank you