Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any low bmi's who talk often?

I forgot to add that I have a surgery date of Monday, July 14th.

Also, I am taking the week off and my hubby is good at taking care of me if I need it but I hope I don't need much.

Hi to you guys in Alabama! I grew up in Mobile and have family in Wilmer now if that is familiar to any of you. Roll Tide!

Anne

my name is Teresa and I am 5'7" and 220 pounds, 34.5 BMI, I hope to lose 60+ pounds, I was supposed to get banded June 16th however I don't have 16,500. I looked into Mexico and my surgery date is July 24th and it is only 7,500. My friend and I are going and I am really excited. :Angel_anim:

Good luck, Anne and Teresamc! I don't even have my seminar until July 24th (unless someone cancels for the seminar on July 10th so I can get into it). Please keep us posted on your journey.

Teresamc, is your friend also having the lapband done or is she just going along with you to lend help and support?

I also have a low BMI, and I'm 3 weeks post op. I quickly lost about 10 pounds the first week, but since then I've only lost 2 more, and I'm a little disappointed. I know that I can't lose weight super fast, but I am working really hard at it. I'm exercising every day for 1 hour, and I'm eating healthy and so much less that I used to eat, so it is a little frustrating to be stuck at 3 weeks. I know I haven't had a fill yet, but shouldn't I be losing weight since I'm netting 500-700 calories a day after subtracting the calories I burn in the gym? Is this normal? Is anybody else in the same boat I am in?

my name is Teresa and I am 5'7" and 220 pounds, 34.5 BMI, I hope to lose 60+ pounds, I was supposed to get banded June 16th however I don't have 16,500. I looked into Mexico and my surgery date is July 24th and it is only 7,500. My friend and I are going and I am really excited. :Angel_anim:

`

Hi from the other end of the Valley of the Sun! Is Dr. Kuri going to be your surgeon?

Just 4 weeks to go, good for you!

In response to:I know I haven't had a fill yet, but shouldn't I be losing weight since I'm netting 500-700 calories a day after subtracting the calories I burn in the gym? Is this normal? - I don't know if it's normal but it sure is discouraging! Let us know if you find out what the problem is. My guess would be that you need a fill, but maybe someone who has experienced this can give a better answer! AP

I've read that you start losing after your first fill in a bunch of threads, but to me it still doesn't make sense since I'm taking in much less that 1,000 calories a day. Given my weight and age, I should be eating about 1,900 calories just to maintain my weight, and I'm eating 1,200 less than that a day. So...shouldn't I be losing? Well, after I get my fill...maybe in mid. July, I should be eating LESS...hmmm???...so how many calories will I need to consume to lose weight? I read that if you eat too little calories, then your metabolism slows down..mmm. I think eating less than 600 calories a day is not healthy at all...well, I guess we're all new here and are still learning how our bodies are responding to the band. It is a bit discouraging to say the least!:blushing:

Hey everyone! Finally back home after a day of baseball games for both of my boys. Have to remember there is life outside of lapbands! Anyway, I think I finally have my financing issues out of the way, just had to think out of the box! Thank God for family! My first appt is tomorrow at 2:00. My husband will be going with me and he has informed me that he will be asking all the questions that I "conveniently" forget to ask, such as "What is the mortality of lapband procedures?" and "How many lapbands need to be removed on average?" As my husband says I will jump into the Water and not know if it's boiling or freezing! To which I always reply That's better than standing on the edge and sticking your toe in! Thank God we compliment each other. I think all will be well. Hope the same for all of you!

I thought it would be easier to get a loan than this. I am a 39-year old professional women, never without a job, own our home, no car payments, no credit card debt, high average FICO score, and you would think that I'm living on the streets panhandling what with all the red tape I'm jumping through. I am very determined and my poor husband knows this! Poor guy! In the end, more often that not I get my way! I hate the way that sounds but it's true (red face) We are moving some money around in regards to refinancing our home and combining an existing home improvement loan to lower our payments. We figure we will free up about $300/month for a payment for this miracle procedure (better be!!!!) 15 minute lag here (phone)

Wow! You must be good luck! I just got a call from the bank that my doctor deals with. I am going through the pre-approval process! She (loan officer) said everything looks good with my credit and she sees no problems! YEAH! Can't stop smiling!!!

Hi all,

I am a self-pay very soon to be bander as well. I will be banded on Monday (6/30). My cost was around $12,000.00 which included, labs, ekg, nutritional counseling, surgical related fees and 6months of aftercare and fills. (TLCEdge--Plano, Tx)

I know what you mean about the credit issue. I guess getting credit these days is not as easy as it use to be. I wasn't able to get approved for financing, but that is ok. It all worked out for the best considering the payments were going to be higher than I wanted to pay anyway.

I ended up getting a loan against my 401k. I was going to make a withdrawal to pay for the surgery, but the financial mgr where I work, encouraged me to take a loan against it instead. This way I wouldn't have the high penalties and I would still be earning money at the same time. My payments are going to be much lower. It was guaranteed approval since the payments were going to be deducted from my check, not only that, they had my 401k account for collateral. i was able to get my money in 2 days.

Good luck to all of you.

Sincerely,

Stephanie

O.K. When the door gets closed you have to find a window.

*We tried to refinance the house, the appraiser told us we needed new shingles ($4,000)

*Gave the bank the titles to our vehicles to secure the loan for the shingles.

*Found out that we can't (or shouldn't) exceed 80% loan to value or we have to pay private mortgage insurance.

*Currently in the process of refinancing our house at a lower interest rate to save approximately $300/month.

*Thought there would be no problem securing a loan because we just saved ourselves $300/month RIGHT?!

*WRONG! We have no collateral to secure a personal loan for that amount of money because we gave the titles to our cars for the shingle loan.

TIME TO GET CREATIVE!

*Called the bank and asked if the collateral had to be mine--answer: NO!

*Called my brother and asked if I could use his vehicle title to secure this loan--answer: YES!

*LOVE MY BROTHER! planning to take him out for many ice cold beers at his convenience!

WHEW! What a ride!

Anyway, had first office visit today, got approved, made appts with dietician, pulmonologist, counselor, pre-bariatric surgery educator, and personal physician for physical.

Doctor says it should be no problem to schedule surgery before school begins in August

YEAH! It will all be worth it when I am 125 and shopping at Victoria's Secret!

Hi All,

I started out as a lower BMI. I also had to self pay because of it. Well, just wanted to say hello.

Hello,

I was also considered a low bmi at about 35. I'm 5'1" and started out at 185 or so lbs. I have had weight issues my entire life and at 46 yrs old, finally found hope! I was banded in Tijuana, mexico jan 25/08 and so far am down about 40-45 lbs! I can eat anything in small amounts, I have very good appetite control and couldn't be happier. I have had one fill at about 6 weeks post-op and have no need as of yet for another.

I went to Mexico cuz the Canadian health care system will not pay for it unless you are near death. You can get the surgery done here privately, but it costs nearly 3x the amount ($7500.00 in Mexico). I get fills here from a trained nurse for $75.00 each.

My only regret is that this surgery was not available 25 years ago.

I'm off to the lake for the Canada Day long weekend! I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Hi all,

Not a lot of action on this thread, but I am going to post to update anyone and everyone who cares to browse. As I write this, I am sitting in a hotel room in Lincoln, NE. I just completed my dietician appointment and tomorrow I will go to the pre-bariatric education class also in Lincoln. My husband and I decided with the price of gas it would be cheaper for me to get a hotel for the night and he would stay home as my sons have ball games tomorrow. It has been so long since I have spent a night completely away from my family. It's SO QUIET! It's very surreal. Anyway, the dietician appt. was fine, she was so young! Spend about an hour with her and think I said all the right things. She didn't veto me anyway. I have a tendency to talk a lot when I am nervous and I always get a case of "too much information!" Oh well, all is well for now. Hope to hear back from someone. It's lonely here by myself!