Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone interested in Clean Eating recipes?

Thought I'd start a thread for Clean Eating recipes. Please feel free to add to this.

First one I have is for a yummy dip or spread.

Garlicky Spinach & Ricotta Dip

1 tsp olive oil

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 leek, washed and thinly sliced

2 large bunches of spinach, washed and coarsely chopped

1 cup light ricotta cheese

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/4 tsp grated nutmeg

Instructions:

One - Coat a large nonstick frying pan with olive oil and set over medium heat. Add garlic and leek. Stir often until soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Add a few drops of Water if leek starts to brown too much before it softens.

Two – Increases heat to medium-high and add a few handfuls of spinach. Stir until wilted, then turn into a food processor. Continue to cook rest of spinach in small batches until all is wilted. Place in food processor. Whirl until blended – make it as chunky or fine as you like. Turn into a bowl and refrigerate until cool.

Three - Stir spinach with ricotta, sea salt and nutmeg. Taste and add more seasonings if needed. Dip will Water out as it sits; stir before serving.

Nutrients per ¼ cup serving:

Calories – 30

Total Fat – 1g

Sat. Fat – 0.4g

Carbs – 3g

Fiber – 1g

Sugars – 1g

Protein – 3g

Sodium – 100mg

Cholesterol – 2mg

Edited by Ezma

This looks so Yummy! I would love more. I was t at the store this morning and I forgot to look for the magazine. I would also love to get a hold of some past issues.

Thank you Ezma!

I really want the back issues too. I went to Bookmans, our local used books, cds, magazines, etc store, and didn't find any there. There have only been three issues so far. I did find the magazine site - Welcome to Clean Eating Magazine!and also found a place to order the back issues - Shop Musclemag - Clean Eating. I'll try to post another recipe or two here today. How soon today just depends on how I'm feeling after they fix my port. There's a cucumber and jicama salad that I'm going to make soon. I'll let ya know if that one is worth it.

HAVANA salad

Escape to the Caribbean the clean-eating way with this Cuban-inspired salad combining fresh vegetables, spices, rice, and Beans.

havanaSalad.jpg

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup avocado, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup Roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 tsp cumin, ground
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
  • 4 cups brown rice, cooked
  • 15 ounces black Beans, cooked, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

METHOD:

1. In a large bowl, combine the avocado, vinegar, olive oil, cumin and black pepper, and then toss.
  2. Now add the rice, tomatoes, beans, parsley and cilantro, and mix thoroughly.
  3. Let the salad chill in the refrigerator before serving.

YIELD:

Makes 6 servings (about 1 cup serving)

NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:

Calories: 277

Fat: 7g

Carbs: 45g

Protein: 9g

Cholesterol: 0 mg

I really liked this one but my husband thought it was a bit bland. I think a little sea salt might perk it up.

Edited by Ezma

TURKEY BREAST MUSHROOM STEW

A clean-eating stew that will warm your insides with its slow-cooked, soft pepper blend.

turkeyStew.jpg

INGREDIENTS

• 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/4 lb extra lean ground turkey breast
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 large red pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp crush red pepper
  • 3 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground 4-pepper blend
  • 3 28-oz cans diced tomatoes, with liquid, no salt added
  • 1 15-oz can Bush's Best pinto bens, with liquid
  • 3 strips cooked extra-lean turkey bacon, chopped
  • 2 tsp hot pepper sauce
  • 1 small zucchini, sliced
  • 2 pkg 6-oz each, sliced, fresh mushrooms
  • 3/4 cup all natural, no sugar apple juice
  • 1 cup frozen corn, thawed

METHOD:

1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook the turkey until browned, stirring with a spoon to seperate and brown evenly.
  2. Add the garlic, onion and red pepper. Cook for 3 minutes and add crushed red pepper, 2 tsp Italian seasoning and fresh ground 4-pepper blend. Cook for 8 minutes, then transfer to a large pot.
  3. Add the tomatoes with the liquid, the pinto Beans with the liquid, the cooked turkey bacon and the hot sauce. Stir in the zucchini and mushrooms.
  4. Bring to a simmer and add 1 tsp Italian seasoning, then reduce to low heat. Cook for 1 hour, stirrnig occasionally. Serve over brown rice.

YIELD:

Makes 19 servings

NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:

Calories: 100

Fat: 2g

Carbs: 10g

Protein: 10g

Cholesterol: 13 mg

Fiber: 3g

Ezma -

Thanks for the clean food ideas. I love the idea of eating clean, although I haven't completely mastered it. Mostly because I am always overwhelmed at work (I work upwards of 80hrs a week most of the time).

But, as far as eating clean, I love the cookbook "The New American Plate Cookbook" - It was put out several years ago by the American Heart Association. It is definitely the way we should all be eating, and the recipes I've tried so far have been FABULOUS!

I'll try to post some recipes here over the next couple of days.

Anna

Thank you so much for the recipes. They sound wonderful. I'll have to try them after I'm banded. I'm on my preop diet right now. I'm being banded July 11.

Waynette

Ezma, can you please tell me what the serving size is on the Turkey Breast Mushroom Stew? Thank you!

Ezma, can you please tell me what the serving size is on the Turkey Breast Mushroom Stew? Thank you!

Sorry, I'm really not sure. I'm going to try it some time this week. Looking at the ingredients it looks like it's gonna be about 3/4 to 1 cup per serving. I'll try to remember to post back here when I do.

I got the recipe from the Eat-Clean Diet site. There might be more information about serving size on the site or in the cookbook. I didn't see anything in the regular Eat-Clean Diet book.

Good luck to both of you on your surgeries - ilse72 and wstone. Getting close now. :lol:

Oh, I wish! It is just my seminar that is getting close. I was lucky....I had been scheduled for the 24th but got moved up due to a cancellation. Now, if only I can get through this, have my consultation and get a date. When you are anxious for something to happen, time seems to drag.

But, as far as eating clean, I love the cookbook "The New American Plate Cookbook" - It was put out several years ago by the American Heart Association. It is definitely the way we should all be eating, and the recipes I've tried so far have been FABULOUS!

I'll try to post some recipes here over the next couple of days.

Anna

Finally got time to check out that cookbook. It looks really fantastic. I've put it in my must have wish list. Thanks.

The serving size seems to be about 1 cup. I made it tonight and so far it's tasting yummy.