Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Claims that you "just can't lose". (post banding)

Hey everyone,

I'm sure everyone has heard someone say, "it doesn't matter what I do, I *can't* lose weight." They really seem to think they are doing a program correctly and just can't lose. Personally, I always think to myself, "well, then they aren't doing something right" (I'm not talking about people with a medical condition or something like that, I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone!!!) I completely understand...obviously I'm not losing weight, but it's b/c I'm unable to stick with any diet the way I need to, but I'm fully aware of it! But that is a whole different post, huh???

So, when I see banders and posts that say, "I'm not losing weight," yet there is really no explanation...it seems they think something is wrong, like the band is slipped, etc. I've posted a similar question, about gaining while banded, but I'm curious to opinions on this particular subject.

I just can't imagine getting banded, eating waaaay less, but eating the appropriate amount and declaring it doesn't work. That would be horrible. Do you guys think that the same type of person who claims, "they did everything and can't lose weight" prebanded will have the same excuse/reasoning post banded?

I think we all got to Lap Band Land more or less the same way, and we each have issues to deal with after getting our new "tool" so yeah, I think some people aren't losing weight because they aren't dealing with those issues and/or they expected the band to do all the work for them. Unless you have a medical problem, it's science.... consume less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. Follow the plan and you will lose weight. Some people do have to make adjustments (number of calories, percentage of carbs, sugar, sodium, etc.), I think, and that's a trial and error process.

But if I'm honest, yes, if I read that someone was banded 10 months ago and they've lost 15 pounds, of course I question whether they are following the plan as well as they think they are. It doesn't mean they are deliberately screwing up, they may truly be unaware of something they are doing to sabatage their own efforts. It just frustrates me to see people blaming that on the band's failure.

My doctor told me that if, at my weekly weigh-in, I haven't lost 1-2 pounds, I need to sit down and take a careful look at what I've been eating, what my level of activity has been, etc. And if I go a second week in a row without losing 1-2 pounds, he wants me to come in and talk to him and/or his nutritionist so they can help me figure out the problem. We all are going to go through periods of plateau but in general, that tells me something about what the level of expectation should be if we're following the program!

Sometimes I just stop losing, and the answer is not obvious.

My story:

A few months ago I hit a plateau. I had lost weight initially but what had worked for a while stopped working. I went to a naturopathic doctor, went on a 21 day liver detox, and started taking the supplements she recommended. I lost more weight.

Now I have hit a plateau again. I spoke with a trainer who suggested that I buy a heart monitor to "maximize" my workouts. Bear in mind that I do 30 min of hard cardio, 30 min of weights and 45 min of light cardio each day. I also run 3 times per week. I will not increase my work out time, but I will work harder to keep my heart rate up, thus maximizing the workout.

To sum up, I think the more weight we lose, the harder we have to work. Its probably why the first 20 pounds practically falls off, but the last 20 pounds is so hard to come off.

I agree with the whole workout thing...

My first 60 pounds fell off, the last 30 are stuck.

My workouts will be increased this week!

Yep I think the sane excuses apply. Alot of people are not honest with themselves about what they really eat. Believe me I use to be one of them. A bite here a bite there like that didn't count. The only person I was hurting was me with all the lies I told myself. I sabatoged myself for years. When I finally stopped doing that I began to maintain my weight albe it heavy rather then continueing to gain. Then I was able to look at why I ate(big time emotional support). It is true that I had a raging hunger in the evening and I changed lots of things about the way & times I ate to help that but wasn't succesfull enough to lose at the rate I needed to. Wiith what I was doing. It would have taken me about 10 years take off what I had packed on my body. Most want a no work on my part solution and I know for a fact that the band is just a tool. It trully has helped me manage my evening hunger but I still have to choose the better things to eat and how much and to be strictly honest with myself with that. Now that I've rambled on forever I think the band is great and I plan to use mine to the best of my ability. I certainly did't go through all this so I could continue to lie to myself about why I couldn't do it.

Sometimes I just stop losing, and the answer is not obvious.

My story:

A few months ago I hit a plateau. I had lost weight initially but what had worked for a while stopped working. I went to a naturopathic doctor, went on a 21 day liver detox, and started taking the supplements she recommended. I lost more weight.

Now I have hit a plateau again. I spoke with a trainer who suggested that I buy a heart monitor to "maximize" my workouts. Bear in mind that I do 30 min of hard cardio, 30 min of weights and 45 min of light cardio each day. I also run 3 times per week. I will not increase my work out time, but I will work harder to keep my heart rate up, thus maximizing the workout.

To sum up, I think the more weight we lose, the harder we have to work. Its probably why the first 20 pounds practically falls off, but the last 20 pounds is so hard to come off.

I agree... U are doing the damn thing.. and I have seen your before and after pictures and I had to show one of my friends in atl before i got banded... U are one of the ones that gave me the inspiration to do it because of your hard work. Everyone thinks get banded and that's it... Not!!!! babe it's just the beginning.... U get out what u put in.... And might i say again U look Hott and I don't use that lightly either....lol....:ohmy:

I agree 100% that it's frustrating to read others post that they cannot lose weight with the band. Like the previous postings... it is because they are not honest to themselves about what they are or are not doing. The band is a tool and that is it... You still must work very hard. Something as small as not getting enough Water can keep you from losing. Theres rules to the band that must be followed if they want to receive the results they wanted when they got the band.

Guest Leslie2Lose

I think you have to be honest with yourself and accountable for your actions for your band to work properly. You also have to have reasonable expectations and be aware that there are going to be barriers and plateaus along the way. We all are going to hit plateaus or have already hit a plateau. We have to be patient, work our way through it and realise if we're doing all we can we'll work through it.

It'd be nice to get banded and just lose 2-3 pounds a week, go about our lives as if it weren't there. That doesn't nor will it ever happen. I agree with everyone else here - you've got to give to get something back. I wouldn't want it any other way.

NEVER being able to lose with the band would require a complete medical workup with a doc, a detailed food journal, etc...

Having a band is a very small part of the journey... my best friend and I were talking about it and she was like "You have it cause it makes you accountable right?" and at the beginning, it does help with that... but as you continue in your journey, for me, it is NOT an accountability thing anymore, cause I just have my full feeling and am ready to stop eating cause I am satisfied...

You MUST have a TRUE commitment to the band. A true commitment is NOT just eating till you are full. You have to follow some rules.

The most important eating rule FOR ME is NOT to eat and drink simultaneously. PERIOD. I can FEEL the food wash through the band with the drink... Anyone who is trying to lose and is eating and drinking together is self-sabotaging. Whether they want to admit it or not.

You also MUST maintain a commitment to do the follow ups with your doc. If you are not losing at the 1-2 pounds/week rate (accepting an occasional plateau) you need to first look at that food diary, and second make an appt with your doc. A fill too much or too little will make it MUCH harder to lose and maintain that loss.

I am down 53 pounds and it is NOT a fast journey anymore... but I am doing the right things and losing slowly but surely. I look better than I have in a LONG time... My mom congratulated me and I did that "Aw shucks, I don't deserve it, I had help" line and my mom was like "WAIT! Katy! You DO deserve congrats. You made a commitment to your health and you've done it. Many people go get the band and don't do the work to get where they need to go, but you've been consistent and bought into your success" and that is true. I have. So, every pound I lose, every size I drop, I raise a glass of sparkling Water and orange juice and toast myself. Because I DO deserve congrats for doing my work...

Do you guys think that the same type of person who claims, "they did everything and can't lose weight" prebanded will have the same excuse/reasoning post banded?

Yep, I think that 100%. Nuff said coz they'll only argue about it again and deny it and complain that its not their fault.

Apart from the very few who actually do have medical/physical reasons for not losing weight, some of whom are people who for unknown reasons just CANT get their band to work right. Some people's bodies just dont seem to like lapbands. They're too tight, then they're too loose etc. Its realy hard for some.

Amen about the last 30 pounds being hard to get rid of!!! I feel like a yo yo here. Lose 3, gain three. I'm going to try and change my workouts a bit, possibly mess with my food choices a bit, see what happens.

You know, we as overweight people, have spent our lives coming up with excuses for why we're fat. Some valid, some not so much. It's not easy to break that cycle of placing the blame elsewhere.

It took me a while to realize that no matter what brought me to the point of being obese, it was still me putting the food in my mouth. It was me who chose not to exercise. It was me who chose the elevator over the stairs. They were all my choices. I did this to myself. I accept that now which is why I can finally take responsibility for it. This is why I am able to be successful at losing the weight now.

Whether fat, or thin; active or sedentary...I own it. My body, my choices. It feels so great to know I am in control over this. I can choose to do nothing or I can choose to improve myself. I hope everyone on this lapband journey gets to that place at some point. You need to own it in order to be able to succeed.

Libra, I think I love you!

Do you KNOW how refreshing it is to hear that? It has not been said round here for quite a long time.

You will go far - I'm sure in weight loss but in life in general. If you can view your life with that much responsibility the sky is the limit for what you can achieve. I applied it to my weight but I'm just now learning to spread it around the other areas of my life and the rewards are very exciting.