Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Embarrassing Diarrhea Question

You need to up your liquids (gatorade or pedialyte might be good) and eat some prune baby food. Apple juice gives me diarrhea now, it might help too.

I had your problem! I had diarreah for 8 days total after the surgery--each day it tapered off a little until around the 8th or 9th day I was back to "normal." Good Luck!

:confused:Thanks so much all of you for tackling this subject. I am day 4 post op and thought something was wrong. Squart is the right word. I appreciate the help here.

I'm glad I found this too! I feel like I've been living on Immodium since my surgery on 4/8/10. I didn't have any when I was on liquids, but I did on mushy foods and now on soft solids I have had it a couple of times too. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in having this problem. :biggrin:

:confused:Thanks so much all of you for tackling this subject. I am day 4 post op and thought something was wrong. Squart is the right word. I appreciate the help here.

I was a bit worried, being 3 days post op that it was going to be like this all the time! One more thing to look forward to once I can get on solid foods!

It's really common to have diarrhea postop--part of it is due to the meds and anesthesia, and extra Fluid from IVs. Part of it is due to the general trauma to your GI tract. And part of it is due to the fact that you aren't eating solids.

It usually resolves as real food is reintroduced--if not sooner.

I did prune juice and Water ewwww but it worked i did thattil i wasnt taken pain meds as i new they were gonna bind me and i didnt want pain from being constipated.

I am like 3 months out and I still have issues with diarhea. Its normal, like you said Urgent! Its seems all most like dumping symdrome like Gastric bypass people have but I didnt have it.. So i dont know whats going on...

Well it looks like you can ask anything in here so I thought why not. I’m 4 days post-surgery and was pretty happy to have my first BM on day 2 since I had no desire to add Constipation pains to everything else. I was afraid with the anesthesia and hydrocodone in my system I would have a problem. Following the advise of my nutritionist I started using Benefiber in my food and drinks on day 2 (2 tsp 2-3 times per day).

I have found that the diarrhea is not what I desire either. It’s usually explosive and urgent.

Please advise, is this common and for how long can I expect to have diarrhea? Is this just during the liquid diet stage? I start soft solids next Wednesday so will that help?

Do you all use Benefiber to regulate you right after surgery and for how long post surgery?

Thanks! :frown:

I started normal foods just under a week ago and everytime I introduce a new food that I havent eaten since surgery back into my diet, I have diarrhea. I have to plan on when to eat these foods so I make sure I am at home! lol

I am suppose to be taking benefiber but I really DONT think i need it. Maybe lay off of it for a few days and see what happens?

Soooo happy I saw this thread. I too thought something was wrong with me. I'm 4 days post-op and have had the runs so bad that it's caused hemmeroids. The gastrolite seems to help with the cramping but can't wait to be able to leave the house for more than an hour and not worry about having an accident.

weight.png"] weight.png[/url]

Funny - I had surgery on Tuesday (and again on Wednesday because of an immediate slip) and started "squarts" today and I was nervous. My husband looked at me and said "liquids in/liquids out - DUH" I guess his non-medical opinion was exactly right. Nice to see it in writing here from those who are, or have experienced the same.

I was also banded this week, on Monday. Diarrhea started today, at first I thought it was from all the sugar free popsicles that I have eaten. Sugar free items have sugar alcohol which can cause diarrhea....I then looked at all my meds, my Potassium has diarrhea listed as a side effect...So I don't know!!! I see the nurse on Wednesday, at that time I can start the next phase of food....full liquids!! I still have days before I get solid food again:blink:

On my 4th day post op and seems like this is a common thing - so Im not feeling alone here, lol...yeah, its seems logical that being on liquid diet would encourage diarrhea. Can't wait to eat pureed foods that bind - like the BRATs (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast). Oh well...gotta keep truckin!

You look fantastic.

I'm so glad for this thread because I was getting worried with diarrhea like Water... I couldn't even take my walk today. I'll have to get Depends...LOL. Nice to know it's "ok".

Ohh man I am having this as well. My friend who is also banded calls them squarts. Like farts and squirts together. LOL!

Also known as sharts!