Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice on drinking prior to eating

I am not banded yet--hoping for August 08. I was on a business trip last week (with a large group of people) that required a LOT of walking. By the time we got to a place to eat dinner I was very dehydrated (I sweat profusely if the temp is over about 60 F even if I'm standing still--that day it was in the 80's and very humid.) I needed several glasses of Water to cool down and stop the headache & light headed feeling. I drank water all day but still needed some when we were seated. It accured to me that is going to happen again after surgery and I need to figure out now how to handle it. I have to do these trips several times a year. Any suggestions on how to handle physically NEEDING fluids prior to eating??? This has me quite concerned.:ohmy:

This was actually one of my concerns too...I have always been a person who drinks a lot of fluids. To counteract that dehydrated feeling, I try to always have a bottle of Water with me. I That way, I can drink it on the way to the restaurant. I try to stop before I get there. Usually it takes 20 to 30 minutes to get seated, order your food, and have it served, so it's not a problem if you stop drinking before you get to the restaurant. Good luck!

This is one of those things that different doctors have different opinions on. My doc says it's a great idea to drink right before eating. Water just runs right through anyway, so it's not sitting in your pouch taking up room you need for food. Just don't drink while eating or for awhile after (again, different times from different docs: 30 min, 60 min, 90 min....)

I've never had an issue with water making me have trouble eating enough. I suppose if you do have that problem then drinking right before you eat is something you shouldn't do. Otherwise, water is a good thing. Especially if you are feeling like you described.

Does your doctor say to not drink for a certain period of time before eating? You should talk to him/her about your issue and see what he says if that's the case.

I would suggest drinking while you are walking as well as before you begin walking. I always keep a large bottle of Water to drink throughout the day. You are not going to want to eat at least an hour or two before and after you eat. When you do it really can make for an ugly experience. Now you can have a glass of water to sip if you choke or have something dry while eating.

If you are parched before a meal, drink the Water. Like Molly said, the water pretty much goes through the pouch fast. I think waiting for the 60 to 90 minutes is more critical. If I drink during or right after a meal, I stand a big chance of PBing, so I wait! SS

I am not banded yet--hoping for August 08. I was on a business trip last week (with a large group of people) that required a LOT of walking. By the time we got to a place to eat dinner I was very dehydrated (I sweat profusely if the temp is over about 60 F even if I'm standing still--that day it was in the 80's and very humid.) I needed several glasses of Water to cool down and stop the headache & light headed feeling. I drank water all day but still needed some when we were seated. It accured to me that is going to happen again after surgery and I need to figure out now how to handle it. I have to do these trips several times a year. Any suggestions on how to handle physically NEEDING fluids prior to eating??? This has me quite concerned.:)

Thank you, everyone! I feel much better. I had wondered about the water going right through (at least fairly quickly anyway.) I love this site! Everyone is so helpful and encouraging....

I have never heard of not drinking prior to eating. They never said a word about it. Does this help you feel full? Can you explain the benefits of this?

They just pressed not drinking for 30 mins AFTER eating. Perhaps this is where I am falling short. Maybe I should wait before and after more.:blink: