Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four weeks out...the hardest part?

Well, the healing is just about over and my first fill has not yet been scheduled. All the post-op swelling is gone and my scars are fading. I feel, most of the time, like I never had surgery. This is good...and bad.

Yesterday was my older daughter's birthday, and I did a great job of avoiding the borthday goodies. Tonight it's much harder--picking at leftovers is my specialty and these are especially enticing. So I come to the computer room to get away from the table, and what happens? My younger daughter helpfully toddles in with a handful of brownie crumbs for me and a big smile on her face. How could I say no? :)

Now it starts, the familiar refrain: I'm hungry...but I'm on a diet! AARRRGGGGHHHH!!! This is such a familiar feeling and it's one that I hate. I'm anticipating two or three more weeks of wanting to eat like I used to and not having anything between me and those habits. Now I understand about the dreaded pre-fill stage!

:)

Alexandra,I know what your going through and I am scheduled for my first fill tomorrow and I'm hoping it is going to help me. My husband just left for our daughters house for BBQ ribs and the works.I declined as I am not filling any restriction and would probably overeat and I don't think that is a good idea before my fill.I to am hungry all the time and can eat way more than I should.How soon will you be getting a fill? Roxanne

Hi Roxanne,

Glad to know I'm not alone! I was supposed to see the doctor today but his office cancelled my appointment (some emergency got in the way :) ). When I do see him, which will be soon, I definitely plan to ask for a fill appointment. Even if it's 3 weeks or so from now it will be good to have it on the calendar at least.

Hi Alexandra

I don't think I can be of any help, but I sure do know what you're saying. As you know, I'm about 6 days behind you. And, I feel very much the same way you describe. I've actually been very good and not "cheating" at all - and have been losing. But, I am getting more and more hungry. I can eat way more than I thought I would be able to (which is still much less than pre-band). And I stuggle since I don't want to screw things up.

I have also heard that if you don't really need a fill, don't rush it. I still have a few weeks to see. i don't go back to the doctor until 10/10. But I think I'm losing weight because I've been really, really good. The band helps somewhat, but I am definately not feeling the restriction I expected.

I'll be interested to see how you do - and when you do have a fill.

Take care.

Mary

Alexandra, don't sweat it too much. We didn't come this far just to diet with self-control alone. I'm still on mush for another week, but I can eat a lot of mush and not feel full. Let's just do the best we can and get fills when we're able as it sounds like we both need them. Say it with me: This is the healing phase, not the losing phase (repeat as often as necessary).

Nancy

I just wanted to give you pre-fills a word or two of encouragement. It gets better! I promise! My exact words to my doctor at my 5 week appointment were "I'm running on willpower and I don't know how much longer I can go!" He understood completely, congratulated me on doing well, and gave me an adjustment. It wasn't quite enough, so I had another small fill about 2 weeks later. *presto* It was just what I had been dreaming of.

So, y'all hang in there, ok? :)

Tonia

Let's just do the best we can and get fills when we're able as it sounds like we both need them. Say it with me: This is the healing phase, not the losing phase (repeat as often as necessary).

i to am 5 1/2 weeks banded and trying to stay in control!!! i have been telling myself that since 2 weeks out! i havent really had any restriction since then.

i had my first fill on monday of 1.6 cc and still dont feel any restriction. my dr said what i am looking for is how i felt the 2-3 day post op. stuffed after 1 pudding!!!!! i schedule another fill for 10-2 and hope i will get some more restriction.

Now it starts, the familiar refrain: I'm hungry...but I'm on a diet! AARRRGGGGHHHH!!! This is such a familiar feeling and it's one that I hate.

i have been eating whatever i can get down...eating carbs, potatoes, bread, Pasta and if i wanted a cookie then 1 or 2 or maybe even 3! before i could eat a dozen with milk. i am eating chicken, veggies, eggs, bread all with no restriction!!!! it is less than before but i want that 1/2 cup restriction!

now after i had my fill and have been able to STILL eat quite a bit my BF asked me last night 'is it gonna work??? you just got filled how come your still eating???' and i told him... BECAUSE I AM STILL HUNGRY!!! the band is designed to work when filled properly...yada yada yada... very irritating as i told him all this before hand!! Since i am not having the restriction i cant do it on my own. and i am not going to beat myself up over something that is medically explained. ( i may beat him up though if he keeps asking stupid questions! :):D :mad: just kidding i think he has never had a problem with Portion Control and i guess just doesnt understand!!!)

still havent pb'd or had any discomfort so thats good!!!!

WE'RE ALL ON TRACK HERE!!!! WE JUST HAVE TO TOUGH IT OUT A FEW MORE WEEKS!!!! GOOD LUCK LOOOOOSERS!!!!!

Guest CBY55

Me, too. I was banded the same day you were. The only things I have felt since then that give me any idea I have a band are the rare esophageal spasm, and some tension at the port site after walking for exercise, which has been limited to walking because of that discomfort. I had lost weight great in the 10 days post-op, but since going back to work 2 1/2 weeks ago, I haven't lost a thing - and never get more than 1200 calories, usually less than 1000. The science that we have been hearing for so long, (decrease intake plus increase activity equals weight loss) which I believe-I am a nurse-is not proving itself on my body. I have an appointment Oct 2, but don't think it is necessarily for a fill. I get the impression that my doctor makes that decision. Do you think I should I ask for one? I don't feel restricted, though I haven't really eaten more than a cup at a meal because I am afraid of GAINING!!

This all sounds SOOO familiar to me! But I am now about 2 months post-op and had my 2nd fill last week. Up until that, I could (and, unfortunately, DID) eat pretty much what I wanted. The 2nd fill has slowed me down considerably! I'm thinking maybe ONE more, but that should do it. So try to be patient and believe what all the others ahead of you have said: don't worry about losing until you get some fills!! I really think the doctors and information we get should stress that more. I went in thinking I'd start losing right away, but once I went on mushy and/or solid foods, the weight didn't come off. I didn't realize it can take MONTHS to get to the proper fill level and really start serious losing. But......it's worth the wait!! I've come this far, so I'll keep at it until I hit that elusive "sweet spot"!!! Everybody who hasn't had a fill yet........Be patient, know you're NOT alone, HANG IN THERE!!!

Wow. Yes, yes and yes. To everything!

Three weeks post-op. No restriction. Scares me.

I'm just happy to keep off what I did lose (approx. 15)

Fill coming 10/6.

Hang in there, everyone.

Thanks for the mantras!

Elizabeth

8/28/03

It certainly seems this is a rite of passage for Bandsters! It's really helpful to hear people who have been through this share how fleeting a time it will feel like later. And I'm trying to remember the WHOLE YEAR prior to banding during which I managed to keep from gaining weight. Now, how did I do that again? ;-)

Tonight's dinner was pizza, which I haven't had for over a month. It was luscious and, amazingly, one slice was all I wanted. Right there, that's progress!! :)

I was just having this conversation yesterday!!!!! I too have been feeling SOOOOO frusterated because I'm hungry! My surgeon won't give me a fill until 8 weeks!!! I'm at almost 5 now, but another 3 weeks seems so far away. I've been trying to watch my carbs so that I can continue to lose a little before my fill. Thanks for all the posts on this, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.