Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

I thought it might be FUN to ask you all what the rudest comment you have had is and how you responded!

I'll get it started: Last weekend, I went for my hair appointment. I had not been for 9 or 10 weeks. When she saw me, she said, "You've lost a lot of weight...did you have gastric bypass?" I couldn't believe she would ask such a personal question...people sure are bold! I simply replied, "Nope, I didn't." And that was the truth! :redface:

Hi

I was walking back to work eating a sandwich during my lunch break and I heard a guy say to another bloke, "and these girls wonder why they are fat". I was eating a sandwich for god sake, not a 10" bar of chocolate. I was actually 6 stone slimmer than I am now so god knows what he would say if he saw me eating a sandwich now. I was bullemic at the time and went back to work and threw up....

Hi

I was walking back to work eating a sandwich during my lunch break and I heard a guy say to another bloke, "and these girls wonder why they are fat". I was eating a sandwich for god sake, not a 10" bar of chocolate. I was actually 6 stone slimmer than I am now so god knows what he would say if he saw me eating a sandwich now. I was bullemic at the time and went back to work and threw up....

Ugh, comments like that really annoy me. For some reason it seems to be "okay" to make fun of or be nasty to someone that's overweight. Where I live it's awful, I've had teenage boys drive by and "moo" at me while I'm gardening in my own front yard...it's depressing.

I hear comments all the time, I guess that's why recently I went through a period where I hardly left the house. :smile: I live in Oklahoma, we seem to have exceeded our quota in douchebags recently...lol. I'm sure this is the case everywhere to some extent, but when I go to see my DH's family in Georgia I never have anything like that happen to me. *shrug*

Lately, it feels like every time I leave the house some jerk has something to say....I know I shouldn't care what others think but, I can't help it. So, needless to say when something like this happens, my self-esteem takes even more of a nosedive.

Someday soon...if I ever get my surgery date (pending insurance approval) I'm going to enjoy leaving the house again and not worry about being shamed in public by random jerk's comments....

Sorry, didn't mean to vent, this is just a really sore subject for me. :redface:

I was sitting in a restaurant with friends. I was the only one facing the 2 jerks Iam about to tell you about. It caught my attn that the man facing me kept saying "its a shame" over and over and louder and louder. I started paying attn to him and noticed he was starring at me. Then he said it again its a shame and the man whom he was with turned to look at me. I then watched him say to the guy, its a shame she is so pretty and fat. Iam a size 18 and although big I had never experienced ANY prejudice for my weight. With every bite I took he starred me down and shook his head with disgust. So when the gals suggested dessert I jumped on it. We decided to split a chocolate cake thing with Syrup on it. I smiled at him and even winked at one point and starred at him with joyful eyes with every bite of cake. When we left they said what a shame what a shame what a shame as I walked by. I just laughed with my friends and left. My friends to this day have no idea what went on. It was hurtful but I wasn't about to let that jerk know. I later hoped he would choke the next time he was in a restaurant and die from lack of oxygen but I took it back (Iam afraid of bad karma) and wished him well and said a prayer for him.

Well, this hasn't been a FUN post, but perhaps it is therapeutic for us to get some of these things off of our chest. Let's use this as an opportunity to say goodbye to those painful memories and move forward with our new and improved outer shells!

This was way back in High School and I think it was the start of some serious depression for me. I was always a little overweight in high school but nothing too extreme. (I say that now but back then I felt differently) I had a guy friend that was good friends with the boy I had a crush on. I had just lost 40 pounds and looked pretty good at 5 food 8 and 150 pounds.

Anyway, I asked my guy friend to ask the boy I liked if he liked me (soooo high school!) He came back to me and said that he thinks I'm gorgeous but that I used to be fat and I'm known as the "former fat girl". He couldn't go out with me because it would hurt his reputation. My guy friend said, "Well, you have to understand his point...you could get fat again."

Oh how I'd like to go up to both of them now. (They probably have HUGE beer bellies) and clank both of their loser heads together ala Three Stooges!

Well, this hasn't been a FUN post, but perhaps it is therapeutic for us to get some of these things off of our chest. Let's use this as an opportunity to say goodbye to those painful memories and move forward with our new and improved outer shells!

It's not fun at all, but it does feel pretty good to vent some. I talk about stuff on here that I would NEVER discuss with my family/friends, lol.

Sometimes it's the things that people don't say that kill me. Today, for example, I took my son to Chick-Fil-A with a friend and her kids. We were sitting in the play area when her son asked her and I to climb up in the kid's gym with him. (I've actually climbed up it before to get my child) She responded, "No, honey, we're too b......tall to get it that." This is a great friend, so I know she was just trying to be sensitive, but I knew what she wanted to say.

Okay so must of what is written here has been said to all of us...but I have got a good one. This was probably about 20 years ago but it sticks with me and I think about it all the time, I was told that I look like...think about a person who is fat, that is also ugly...okay you got someone in mind...well this is worse!!! I was told that I looked like Rosanne Barr!! I am telling you that has stuck with me forever, but soon I won't be looking like her any more.:thumbup:

post-241655-13813137231879_thumb.jpg

For me there have been a couple,

Right after high school I had dropped a significant amount of weight (I am talking over 100lb weight loss) and I was sitting in the cafe studying for a english final (college) and an old acquaintance walked in and we started talking. Mid conversation he asked me if it was true I had contacted the HIV virus because I had lost so much weight. I was floored, I looked at him and said no, I have just been working out and watching what I eat, but it looked like he had contacted the stupid virus for even asking that. :thumbup: Thankfully my boyfriend at the time had walked in and he saved me from smacking the crap out of him. :smile:

The other one was just recent, was picking up a few things from a friend that she had borrowed and we were discussing my surgery and then as rude as can be she asked me "so when will I be able to see the weight loss". :cool2: I so wanted to hit her.

Like everyone I have had my share of nasty comments but the most hurtfull was when I went back east to see my Mom who I had not seen in 3 years. Her Very FIRST words to me were (not hello, not i have missed you but) BOY DID YOU GET FAT AGAIN.

OMG! I think that is horrible:angry:. For all of the people in the world to say something negative to you. I don't think that it hurts near as bad when a stranger says something as a family member. What did you say in return? My mom has never out right said that but she has made her fair share of implications that I should get off my butt and get "skinny" (in her words" again. Like I can wave a magic wand and be thin *poof* Nope...still chunky. :sad_smile:

Oh and on to the thread. I think that I am harder on myself and make rude comments about myself to beat people to the punch. I'd rather say it about myself than allow for the opportunity for someone else to say something. Anyone else out there like this?

cheers, Jill

I have a few ... :w00t:

Back in high school there was this guy I had a crush on that would always call me "thunder thighs" ... and back then I was only a size 12! :sad_smile:

Easter last year during an Easter egg hunt, my middle son was mauled by a dog so while we were in the ER with him (as he was getting his head stapled back together), the doctor started making "small talk" with me and as we were talking about my 3 boys he says "and you have another one on the way ... do you know if this one will be a girl?" ... Ummm, I wasn't pregnant. :thumbup:

A couple weeks later I was having somewhat of a conversation with my Mother-in-law (I never really liked the woman) and she's telling me about some family member of hers that lives back in Indiana. She's explaining to me that this woman is "SO BIG" and then she says "well, she's about your size" (I wanted to smack her :tongue:)

Then of course, after my band surgery was the comment from my disapproving husband (who was against me having the surgery, against me going out of the country for it and didn't talk to me or sleep in the same bed with me for over a month afterwards ...) he says I took the "easy way out" and I could have lost the weight on my own but instead I did it the "lazy person's way" ... That comment started WW3 in my household! :tt1:

I have two that come to mind.

1 - High school, waiting in the library for the period and day to end. It was all quiet and I shuffled my feet and my pants (fat thighs) made a swishing noise. A guy in the class (Travis, I still remember) yelled out, "Quick! Grab a harpoon! It's moving!!!" I tried to ignore it, but another girl slapped him on the arm and said, "You hurt her feelings! Look, now she's crying." And, damn it! I was! I hated that; everyone looking at me crying and me standing there praying the bell would ring RIGHT. NOW.

2 - I was an adult in my late 20's and was covering for the receptionist in our office. A wealthy client who ran a modeling agency walked in and mentioned about one of the girls (size 6 or something) walking by that "the girls in the office gets skinnier and skinnier" in a delighted tone. I tried to laugh it off and said, "I wish that would come my way." She looked down at me and said, "Well, it would dear, if you ever pushed yourself away from the table."

Two situations I wish I could relive now that I have more self-esteem and less of a care of who I piss off.