Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

Aww - thank you so much for those kind words. I have been "chunky" all my life and I know what it's like to be teased. On top of being big I was a band geek and book geek too. That didn't help the situation any ~ but now ~ I see people I used to go school with and I make sure that they know what all I have accomplished. But I have figured out that corporate america is just like high school ~ and it stinks! I want my girls to be happy with their bodies and not turn out like me. I am so paranoid and just plain unhappy ~ but I am at a point now in my life that I have the money, the insurance, and the vacation time to have the lap band! I am 32 and I told my husband before I die I want to live my life to the fullest and loosing this weight will help me do it!

In my late 20s I had lost about 40lbs. I had not seen my family since losing the weight. When I finally saw my mom, her version of a compliment was "I'm so proud of you....you finally look "normal" again". I know she did not mean to hurt me, but she obviously thought of me as abnormal for being overweight. That stung.

I can understand where you are coming from. My dad all my life has told me that if I loose the weight he would buy me a new wardrobe. That has stuck with me since I was little. I keep on telling my mom that I just want to look "normal" but actually what is considered normal these days? I know I should be happy with the way I look but i'm not, so I am going to do something about it!

One coworker (who was bigger than me) ask one day if my feet hurt. I said no. She said, "I'm surprised your feet don't hurt, you being such a big girl and all."

One coworker (who was bigger than me) ask one day if my feet hurt. I said no. She said, "I'm surprised your feet don't hurt, you being such a big girl and all."

That's pretty bad. I'm sorry - but I would have had to say something to her. Just because you are a "big" girl doesn't mean that you have the same issues she might. What did you say to her?

I didn't know exactly what to say! I just stared at her with a blank expression because I couldn't believe she said that. Afterwards, I thought of a few choice words that I could have said!

That is the story of my life! Something happens and someone is really rude or mean. And I am just stunned - the the actual Webster's Dictionary sense of the word! I just stare at them and can't believe that it actually came out of their mouth. And then I get flushed and embarrassed and upset.

But later that night, I'm lying in bed and suddenly - OH! You know what I SHOULD have said?? And my husband says, "yes that would have been very funny (or a great comeback, or that would have shown them!) had you actually said it at the time. But I don't think they can hear you from here. Maybe tomorrow you can ask her to do it over again and then you can say it" HA! :) I never think of it at the right time!

Of all the mean comments and rude looks and skinny girls complaining about being a size 5... The comment that hurts me the most is actually veiled as a compliment.

"Oh wow, you have such a beautiful/pretty/gorgeous face!!"

To them - they are telling me I'm pretty. To me - they are saying that only my face is beautiful.

Honestly, I can't wait to be healthy and in-shape and have someone tell me I'm beautiful - unequivocally, not just my face!!!

:)

P.S. I always say thank you, because I know it's still a compliment, even if I hate the way I interpret it.

Who knows? Maybe what they really are saying and mean is -

wow - your face is so beautiful that I don't even notice the rest of you. Your face just shines and distracts me from noticing anything else!

Besides, given how honest people can be (read obnoxious and rude), if they were really thinking that your face is pretty but the rest is not - they'd actually say it! So them NOT adding anything else (you are so pretty, if only you weren't so heavy - you have a beautiful face, just imagine how pretty you'd be if you lost weight!, etc) may really mean that they are thinking exactly what they are saying - that you are a beautiful woman with a striking face!!:)

PS - at least it isn't compliments about your boobs! (Hey, you have huge boobs - that is the best thing about fat chicks! You have a face? I've only noticed the big boobs!)

I'm really lucky. I haven't had any boob comments before. I do get the "you have such a pretty face" comment all the time. A lady I work with told me last week that she can't wait until I have my surgery she said that I am going to be a knock out since I am so pretty... in the face! :)

I can relate to those comments. I have long natural curly hair and everyone is always saying what beautiful hair I have, but not that I am beautiful anywhere else!

That is horrible! I cut all of my hair off just so my face wouldn't look so fat and round! I'm thinking about letting it grow out since I'm having the surgery!