Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

I have had comments similar to most posted here, but I thought I'd add one I found particularly offensive.

I had lost about 100 pounds (which of course I gained back) and a parent of one of my students said, "I'll bet your husband sure is happy!" I think she honestly meant this as a compliment, and that really made me sad for her. She is not huge but still overweight. I would say she must think that her husband thinks less of her because of it. I replied, "Actually, he really couldn't care less. He's happy for me because I'm happy, but he doesn't care." She didn't know what to say.

Oh, the horror! I haven't thought about this for years - not since I went from shy non-confronting person to smart mouth professional arguer!

Once at Christmas I went to say hello to my grandfather, and his reply was 'Hey, fatso!' He also once asked how much I spent a week on groceries.

A woman at my work had heard I was going to take some time off and that it was medical. She asked what kind of surgery I was having and got made when I told her it was a simple elective thing, no need to worry, tho I really did appreciate her concern. I am convinced she went on my computer later that day to see what websites I look at (namely this one). Also, I think she found LAP band materials buried under things on my desk. She then told me she was 'considering' the band surgery.

The worst, tho, is my sister in law. She ruthlessly makes fun of my husband about his weight (he thinks it is funny) and is always talking about how fat this person is or that person it, how gross they are, etc. HELLO. All 300+ pounds of me is right here. STFU!!!!

oh, the horror! I haven't thought about this for years - not since i went from shy non-confronting person to smart mouth professional arguer!

Once at christmas i went to say hello to my grandfather, and his reply was 'hey, fatso!' he also once asked how much i spent a week on groceries.

A woman at my work had heard i was going to take some time off and that it was medical. She asked what kind of surgery i was having and got made when i told her it was a simple elective thing, no need to worry, tho i really did appreciate her concern. I am convinced she went on my computer later that day to see what websites i look at (namely this one). Also, i think she found lap band materials buried under things on my desk. She then told me she was 'considering' the band surgery.

The worst, tho, is my sister in law. She ruthlessly makes fun of my husband about his weight (he thinks it is funny) and is always talking about how fat this person is or that person it, how gross they are, etc. Hello. All 300+ pounds of me is right here. Stfu!!!!

you tell her, oneder!!!

Annabella---THAT WAS HILARIOUS!!! You handled yourself with the grace and dignity I could only hope to have someday...I would have gone old school on him!!! Brilliant!

I went into my pre-op with my doctor, who is also my boss (my PCP, not surgeon) and she immediately said that as a diabetic I shouldn't have been eating the candy corns that were set out at work that day. I ate 3 of them...she had eaten probably 50 that day. Ya know, just because I'm fat doesn't mean I eat everything and anything!

Also, just the constant comments about what a pretty face I have or...you'd be so pretty if you lost the weight. Yes, I'm an ogre, what can I say??

I went into my pre-op with my doctor, who is also my boss (my PCP, not surgeon) and she immediately said that as a diabetic I shouldn't have been eating the candy corns that were set out at work that day. I ate 3 of them...she had eaten probably 50 that day. Ya know, just because I'm fat doesn't mean I eat everything and anything!

Also, just the constant comments about what a pretty face I have or...you'd be so pretty if you lost the weight. Yes, I'm an ogre, what can I say??

Just smile and either say:

1. Hmm, imagine if I cared about your opinion. :smile2:

2. Why would you say something so hurtful/rude?

3. Yanno, fat can be temporary but ugly is forever!

OMG!! People are so mean, and it does seem like its the ones that are over weight that make the rude comments.

I work at a hospital and one night there was a very drunk women(CRAZY) in there and I walked into her room and she said..oh please don't sit on me you would kill me!!!!

Interesting topic to post....

Here are a couple of mine through the years.... In high school, I remember being told that I had such a pretty face from my PCP that I should loose some weight I was a size 12. In college, I had a guy tell me that if I would loose some weight that he would take me out and he was married :). When I got pregnant with my son, one of my coworkers was concerned over every bit of food I was eating. She said that I guess i shouldnt be too concerned because she took care of a 700lb lady who ended up having a healthy child.

When I worked as a paramedic, I was talking to a lady during transport who it took 5 fireman to get her out of the house and down her stairs and she looked at me and said "your not skinny either". Another one said to me when I was questioning her about the rats eating at her toes and the roaches crawling out of her purse, she commented that at least "I am not fat like you are".

Today at work there's a woman who's about 60lbs heavier than me ..said I had back fat..I'm down to 166 I'm 5,5

I thought I was looking ok and she says are there exercises for your back..that's what u need..

I would have asked her... So what do you do for your back fat!!! Got any pointers?

Sarah-

Oh my STARS! I've either been really lucky or put out a "don't even dare" vibe b/c I have never had anything said to me that was even remotely as ugly as what you have written. I'm so sorry and I didn't even say it. Rude rude people. :)

WTH? Why and how was she drunk at a hospital???

She came into the ER the police had brought her in. Because she was CRAZZZY!!

I have heard a lot of rude comments all my life, but the worest ones are from family....

1. My dad is over weight also 250ish, always tells me you would go a lot farther in life if you would just lose some weight.... People treat fat people differently.

2. My mother and I were talking about I was built like my grandmother, and my grandmother said..I've never been that fat before!!!

3. As a teenager, I was around 13 and I wasn't really over weight then, but me and my mother didn't get along very well, she asked me one time do you wash under all them rolls!!! OMG!! It's not like I dirt or stinky, she just said it to be mean!!!

And of course I always get the you have such a pretty face...blah..blah...blah... The one I hate the most is someone will be talking about someone being over weight or they will call someone fatass and then look at you and say OH no offense!!! WTH!!

I could go on and on, but I think I feel better now, saying all that!!!

There are so very many moments I would rather forget, but here is a couple of examples from people I should have felt safe with:

1. I asked my Mom to pick up tampons for me at the store, and she was extremely surprised that I could use them. She assumed that because I was so fat, I wouldn't be able to use anything but pads! I explained to her that I could also wipe myself on my own and have intercourse just fine. Thanks Mom :biggrin:

2. In the fourth grade, our teacher had us play a game where everyone had to decide what celebrity the other students looked like, and attach a sign indicating the celebrity on the persons back. We all had to walk around without knowing what was on our backs and try to guess at the end of twenty minutes who our classmates had chosen to assign us. Wouldn't you know that I was the only one left standing, and when I finally ripped the sign off of my own back, it said MISS PIGGY! Everyone including my teacher was hysterical....not so funny if you ask me.

OMG...that is cruel! I am shocked that a teacher would allow that! I'm so sorry you've been through that.

~C

I have three favorites -

1. I was pregnant with my first child and went into a Denny's with my husband, two teenage girls (I was only 20) were sitting at a table, as we passed them one said to the other, "Haha - THAT's what you're going to look like when you get pregnant" - I sat down at the table and started to cry, then we left without even eating. My husband didn't even know what had happened. Aside from being fat I was dealing with gestational diabetes, just having been told I had cervical cancer (have to thank that high school boyfriend for that) and was still dealing with my mother's death - I really wanted to go up to her and say "You could only wish to be so lucky to have a healthy baby" - but anyway - 13 years later I guess it still bugs me!

2. I was in the store a couple weeks after having that same baby and was buying baby supplies - go to check out and the cashier looks me up and down, looks at my husband and daughter and says, "You're having another one already?!" Umm, hello dumbass - ever heard of post-baby fat?! And really - if I had a 2 week old baby, could I possibly be pregnant, much less pregnant enough to be showing???! The kicker is she was fat too!

3. My stupid Uncle was in the car with my daughter and I ( I think this was about two years ago...) and my daughter asked me to get her a snack when we stopped for gas, he turned to her and said "You don't need a snack! Do you want to be fat like your mother?!" I was so hurt that he would say that to her, she just put her head down... I don't talk to him anymore (not because of that, but thinking back to that makes me glad he's out of my life!).