Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travel Post Op? Is two weeks too soon?

Looking for some guidance -- I'm scheduled for surgery July 1st. I just found out that I have to travel for business on July 14th. Just wondering if anyone else had to travel that soon after surgery. I will certainly ask my surgeon to make sure it is okay, but I spoke to a member of the office staff and she seemed to think it would fine as long as I don't lift heavy bags, etc. Any thoughts?

My guess is that you might still be a little tired, as your body is still healing up. But remember: lots of folks get banded in Mexico and travel home by plane shortly afterwards, so travel itself should be OK -- i.e. there's not really a problem with flying. I'd be more worried about getting over-tired and making sure you have the right food on hand since you'll probably still be in your post-op liquids or just starting mushies phase.

Is it a short trip or will you be away from home for awhile?

I had my surgery 5 hours away from home. Discharged the day of surgery and spent the night in hotel close to surgery center and went home next morning. Doctor wanted us to stop every hour or 2 and walk for 10 min. I really had no problems wouldn't want too but could have rode for another 3 or 4 hours.

I posted a similar question about a month ago or so. However for me it would have been traveling for work one week after surgery. I got different answers but most of the people said it would be too hard.

It seems it is not the flight/drive itself, but more the energy level. But again, I was asking about traveling one week after surgery, while you are wondering about traveling 2 weeks after surgery. So that one week might make a big difference :redface:

I ended up postponing my surgery date by one month. The business trip was very important and the dates were not flexible. My surgery is now scheduled for June 25th.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone who responded. Good luck to SunFlower00--hope all goes well next week.

I am still awaiting ins approval so my question may be moot, but sounds like I should be okay. I did think about having the right food on hand. I plan to bring Protein powder. By then I think yogurt and other mushies will be okay so I will be able to make it work. Business "meals" may be the hardest part but I'm thinking Soup, Soup, soup.....etc.

there are abunch of threads about this.

I traveled less than 10 days after surgury, a business trip combined with taking my wife and 3 kids (including twin 1 year olds) to disneyworld. I had no problem.

in the 9 months since then, I have flown probrably 12 trips (maybe 100 legs) without any problems. the biggest problem is that flying will effect the tightness of the band, and in an unpredictable way. that is, 9 legs out of 10, there will be little or no effect, and then that 10nth time I will be very tight for 2-3 days, and I have no way of telling - it isn't an issue of smaller planes, for instance.

I don't plan on eating airplace food, unless it is very good business (for instance, some airlines serve Soup in business). I carry protien powder, instance soup and tuna, as well as wasabi peas and beef jerkey.

for business meals, I eat a lot of crab cakes - I find that most steak houses and fish resteraunts have them and I get an appetizer as a main course and soup as an appetizer. the best business meal I have discovered is brazilian grill - nobody really notices how much or little you eat.

Globetrotter,

Thanks for the post. The business meal tips are especially helpful as I expect to have to navigate several the first month post op. I planned on lots of Soup, etc.