Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had my sleep study last night. The tech said that she could not tell for sure if I had sleep apnea or not. She said most of the time she can tell right away. She said my doc would not have the results for two weeks. Uggggh. Long time.

What has everyone else's experience been with the sleep study and the waiting and were you able to get a clue at least as to whether you had it or not?

I am just not a very patient person is all today. I have a whopper of a sunburn (again, my fault) and just sort of wanted a real good good hint as to whether or not I was going to be heading to the "waiting line" or the "moving forward" line.

It depends on exactly what kind of sleep study you had done. When I was 10 I was put into hospital to do a full sleep study, probes all over my head to monitor brain waves, on the chest and one on the finger to monitor oxygen and heart. With those they have people that watch the monitor continuously all night. If you had one of those they could easily tell you the results but they won't for legal reasons - For legal reasons your doctor has to tell you, if the person doing the study told you and you take it the wrong way and end up mis diagnosing yourself then its on there heads and they don't want that - Where as if you had just a normalish sleep study where they put about 4 probes on and nasal prongs that are attached to a little machine thats on your stomach while you sleep (which they usually do in hospitals now) You won't get those results for 2 weeks. They do them with heaps of patients every night and are always busy so it's not exactly easy for them to print out the paper and tell you whats wrong.

I just had my sleep study last night. The tech said that she could not tell for sure if I had sleep apnea or not. She said most of the time she can tell right away. She said my doc would not have the results for two weeks. Uggggh. Long time.

What has everyone else's experience been with the sleep study and the waiting and were you able to get a clue at least as to whether you had it or not?

I am just not a very patient person is all today. I have a whopper of a sunburn (again, my fault) and just sort of wanted a real good good hint as to whether or not I was going to be heading to the "waiting line" or the "moving forward" line.

Well, when I went for sleep study, the tech is not supposed to tell you if you have sleep apena or not. The off will call you back if you have it in a week or two. If you have sleep apena, you have to do another sleep study sleeping with a mask the second time around.

My tech was nice and gave me a little hint. I saw the CPAP machine next to the bed after it was over and asked her what it was and when she told me I said I hope I never have to use one of those and she said "well you would if you needed to wouldn't you"? It was one of those weird moments where you knew she was looking right through you and yes I did need one but it took a while to get back to the pulmonologist. But they never made me do a second study thank God!

My daughter had the study done and a second one and had disrupted sleep from snoring but no apneas and doesn't need the machine.

Good luck to you and if you need one by chance CPAPTALK is a good forum.

brandyII.:rolleyes2:

I had my sleep study done last weekend. The dr. called me and ask me to come back in on Wednesday to do a split study with the c-pap machine. If they call you in for a 2nd sleep study more than likely you have sleep apena. My tech didn't tell me anything, but they will call you with the results.

The tech is definitely not supposed to tell you, but in my case it wasn't hard to figure out, since she put a mask on me part way through, and cranked the pressure up a couple of times! (That would be called a split study.) I still had to go back later to finish it since we didn't find the magic number the first time.

(Patience? How long does that take?!)

Orea

I had a sleep study in April. I really bonded with the tech; she said she wasn't allowed to tell me anything, "but IF you have sleep apnea, you are going to do great, you will notice such a big difference after you get used to sleeping with the cpap machine". LOL.

They told me it would take a couple weeks to get my results too but I had told the doctor I was anticipating having surgery and the surgeon wouldn't schedule my surgery until the sleep study was concluded, and they moved things along really fast for me. I had my results within a couple of days and they scheduled me to come back for another night to be tested with a cpap machine. Anyway I think I was done with the study and brought my machine home within about 3 weeks from my first sleep study. I ended up with a bipap instead of cpap and although it took me a few weeks to get used to sleeping with it, it's been a lifesaver (literally and figuratively). Good luck to you!

My tech told me they aren't allowed to tell you if you have sleep apena...but, when she came into the room to throw a CPAP mask on me I kinda figured it out, lol.

I was unable to sleep at all with the mask on, so they sent me home. I'm currently "trying" to use one at home to get used to it before I go in for a second study. The guy at the CPAP place said my apnea was the worst he'd ever seen in 15 years....I had an "event" of sleep apena 288 times an hour, (worse he'd seen was 177 times). However, my oxygen absorption (I think that's what it's called) never dropped below 95%, explain that? Maybe I'm an alien.

Anyway, I think it's pretty standard procedure for the doctor to confirm the results of the test. My doctor looked mine over and asked me if I was willing to try and use a CPAP at least until I lost some weight. I agreed, but I'm having a really hard time with it at the moment.

My sleep apnea was diagnosed last year, and the nurses wouldnt tell me anything. Uggh. So I had to wait 2 weeks, they told me I had moderate sleep apnea. So, I know that doesnt help, but, that was my experience. Its was killing me to know the results.

I found it freaky to know I had it severely and have to wait for weeks to get my machine!

Orea

Any good sleep tech knows that night if you have sleep apnea. However, we are not allowed to interpret results (just like when you have an X-Ray). If you meet the guidelines for having severe sleep apnea; as defined by insurance standards: 60 total respiratory events in two hours of sleep time; before 2 am; only then can the tech tell you if you are positive. That is called a split study and you are diagnosed and treated in one night. A lot of people don't meet that criteria simply because they aren't that severe or don't sleep enough early in the study.

What you can do is call the lab where you had the study done; tomorrow. Tell them why you had the study and that you need your results expedited. Most labs will accomodate you; if at all possible.

I had both tests and now have my CPAP machine, one reason to do the lap band is to get off that machine asap. I have had it a month and am having a hard time getting used to it. I have allergies and do take meds but sometimes my nose is still stuffy. If I am still on it in three months I will get the newer smaller nose mask. I am really trying but end up at around 5 am, waking up to go potty and taking it off...and going back to sleep for a hew hours more.

I told my PCP and he said that this is not unusual and if I have a bad allergy night I can skip the mask for that night. I do notice that I am not as tired during the day and I am not napping in the afternoon, and that is good.

It often takes a while to get used to it, and you may have to go through several masks before you find one that really suits you and doesn't drive you crazy with leaking, etc. One hint I finally got: the smaller the area the mask covers, the less likely you'll be to have leaks.

I finally found one I just love, and it only basically touches my nostrils and the back of my head.

I'm interested in your allergy problem. I use Astelin to keep my nasal passages open and then the machine's pressure improves on that. I'm not sure I want to graduate from my machine! I like how it helps me breathe.

Glad you are feeling the good results already. Keep trying things until you are happy. Or you no longer need it! :tt1:

Orea

Well last night I did very well. I did some adjusting to the mask and the head bands and it was a bit more comfortable. I slept from midnight to 7 am. I then took the mask out and ended up falling asleep for another hours sans mask LOL. I am up and have a lot more energy today.

I will keep trying and do better. It's not here and have the AC on blast so it's comfortable for sleeping tonight.

Good luck everyone