Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like a failure

I have been a member for a while but this is my first post. I was banded over 2 months ago with my first fill a month ago. I have been eating what I should and have started working out. My frustration is I am not losing any weight. When I went for my fill I recieved 2.5cc in a VG 10cc band and it was tight. I was barley able to eat Clear Liquids the first few days. When I got on solids it was the same way for a week or so. Now I can eat whatever I want, however I don't. Breakfast is 1/2 c oatmeal with a 1/2 of an apple. lunch is a salad with green veggies, blueberries and small bites of steak. dinner is Protein, green veggies and maybe 1/2c of carbs. I only drink Water. I started a new job 4 weeks ago and am on my feet all day running around. I also work out in my pool nightly. I am desperate. I don't know if I need a fill as the doctor told me I would only need .1 or .2cc with my next one. I just feel like a failure and don't know what to do or who to talk to. Can someone help me please. I appreciate you reading this and allowing me to vent. Thank you, Lora:frown::smile:

Hi there, don't be discouraged. I have a 10cc band and have 6.5 cc's in it and am only getting restriction now. I'm not sure if this is the same band but mine is by Allergen (sp??). You mentioned that you would only be getting fills of .1. Does that mean that it is that band that only actually holds 4cc's? Again don't be discouraged; it takes time.

Dear Lora,

I don't post very often on the board anymore but I saw your post and just wanted to encourage you. I was banded in March 2007 and most of my weight. I could stand to lose 10 extra pounds but have been satisfied with my progress overall.

Bands can be a tricky thing and yor are relatively early in the process. Only a tiny amount in your band can make a huge difference. I have been too tight before and in fact when I get nervous or anxious about something my band tightens up like a drum.

As far as you diet make sure you are eating Protein FIRST at all three meals. My weight loss was a little quirky. Sometimes I would lose a pound a week, then sometimes I wouldn't lose for three weeks then I would drop 3-4 pounds all at once. Almost like my body didn't want to let it go.

I can tell you that if you keep doing the right things, it will eventually come off!

During my most regular weight loss, I saw my fill Dr. monthly even if I didn't get a fill. My Dr. not only limited my portions 1/2-1cup but also limited me to 1200 calories. that doesn't sound like much but when I made the right choices, suprisingly, it was hard to eat that much!

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you that it will work.

Every pound adds up no matter how slow it seems. I lost 35 pounds before a single person even noticed, or at least said they saw my weight loss.

Good Luck! Kim

If you're dieting and not losing weight, I wonder if you are getting enough calories? I find if I do 800 calories a day I lose weight very slowly but if I bump it up to 1000-1200 calories a day, the pounds start dropping more regularly.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Hi Lora, hang in there hun. You are NOT a failure! We were banded within a day of each other, so I'm a newbie too. I just had my first fill this past Friday and honestly this has been a lot harder than I expected. Just don't give up! We can compare war stories if you'd like. You're welcome to PM me if you want to.

Are you journaling your food? Eating enough calories? Getting in enough Protein? I get stuck (haven't lost in over three weeks now) and have plateaued in the past. The first plateau - from liquids to mushies - my body was really confused and held on to everything. The second - I wasn't eating enough. I was eating 800 calories a day - and was starving from not having a fill.

I'm on one now. I know it is my fault, due to some poor food choices and also had port revision surgery. Darned fluids! I can't blame it all on the fluids.

Being a bandster is hard work! It makes it tougher when we aren't getting the results we'd hope for. I set my expectations high and fall hard when I don't get them. You may need to change things up a bit or perhaps a small fill is what you need. Could be a combination of both? Either way take care of yourself and don't get drug down. You can and will do this! It's just gonna take some time.

I have been a member for a while but this is my first post. I was banded over 2 months ago with my first fill a month ago. I have been eating what I should and have started working out. My frustration is I am not losing any weight. When I went for my fill I recieved 2.5cc in a VG 10cc band and it was tight. I was barley able to eat clear liquids the first few days. When I got on solids it was the same way for a week or so. Now I can eat whatever I want, however I don't. Breakfast is 1/2 c oatmeal with a 1/2 of an apple. lunch is a salad with green veggies, blueberries and small bites of steak. dinner is Protein, green veggies and maybe 1/2c of carbs. I only drink Water. I started a new job 4 weeks ago and am on my feet all day running around. I also work out in my pool nightly. I am desperate. I don't know if I need a fill as the doctor told me I would only need .1 or .2cc with my next one. I just feel like a failure and don't know what to do or who to talk to. Can someone help me please. I appreciate you reading this and allowing me to vent. Thank you, Lora:frown::smile:

I have not had my band surgery yet but I just wanted to tell you not to feel like a failure!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone's body is different and you can't judge what is happening to you against what is happening to others! You are brave for just having the surgery and it will happen for you...........

Edited by Mbrocato

I don't have experience with this under my belt yet as I was banded on 4/23 but my weight stopped too. I am not in a panick yet though.

I just wanted to say you're not a failure if you're following bandster rules. Just keep doing what you're doing eventually something has to give and when it does it will fly off of you :smile:

Lora,

Look at it this way, when was the last time you EVER lost 21 pounds in 2 months? The weight loss is different than I expected it to be. Mine seems to be a little uneven in that I lose pretty good after a fill but then it slows to almost nothing. Looking forward to my next fill! Hang in there, it will happen!

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, keep your chin up!

First of all THANK YOU to all the responses. To answer a few things that came up. I am not dieting per say, but am following the rules with Protein first. I finally figured out my calorie intake and it was only 800 so I uped it to 1400 earlier this week. I know I may be losing inches somewhere it is just hard to tell. My band is the INAMED VG band which holds a total of 10cc. Per my fill doctor he said my band looks good but it will only take small fills for me rather than larger ones who knows. Anyway one day at a time as they say. Thanks again. Lora

Hey Guys I'm a scottish bandster - not heard about the Protein first rule - in fact would love to hear what your rules are cos I've hit a bit of a speed bump with my weight loss!

It was really good to hear you are like me. I wondered if it was my imagination but when I get stressed which is way too often my band tightens up like mad!!!