Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you tried to change anyones minds that have chosen the gastric bypass?

I was reading a thread about a woman that was deciding between the lap band and the gastric bypass and I just can't get over the fact that people would actually want to choose the gastric bypass. Yes you loose the weight quicker but seeing all the complications and long term affects afterwards certainly out weight the pros. Has anyone ever been told by a friend/family member/whoever that they were going to have the gastric bypass and have you ever tried to persuade them/change there mind into maybe considering the band?

I was told in October last year that I should consider the band - I have never even contemplated gb and don't think I ever would, they go on about statisics like at 3 years the amount of weight loss is the same but they never actually say what the mortality rate is at those 3 years. YOu have to be on Vitamins all the time and the fact that there is actually a death rate with gastric bypass I would have thought would turn anyone off. So what does everyone think?

I was banded on June 2 of this year and honestly, I considered gastric bypass for a long time. Mainly I considered it because of the rapid weight loss and because of the "dumping" people get. I felt like it would keep me in better control if I had the dumping syndrome. I did a lot of research on it and also looked into the lap band and then compared. I just could not take the huge step of re-routing my entire digestive tract! The research says it is reversible, but in my opinion it would be a very hard job to reverse. I choose the lap band because it is a lot healthier and better for you to lose weight gradually, not a lot at once. Also, research shows that if you lose weight gradually the more likely you will keep it off.

I have a friend that wants gastric bypass and I am in the process of trying to make her think differently. I keep telling her about all the risks and complications. One thing though, some people are just not right for the lap band and better suited for gastric bypass. I am glad I did all the research and booking reading I did because I've made an informed decision and I am very happy with the results. I also think that a lot of people do not know what they are getting into. Please research info before you go through this life changing event to make sure it is right for you.

My mother may even get the lap band too!

~Megan

I really think the choice is a personal decision based on the individuals situation. In my case I would never choose the bypass! Vitamin deficiencies and dumping syndrome, count me out! I do however think that the gastric sleeve is a good way to go too. Unfortunetely, it is still considered experimental by most insurances. I think that you will see a gradual decline in gastric bypass and an increase in the amount of gastric sleeves. However, even with that said, I would choose the band since it is reversable in case of future complications.

I think we should let people decide themselves. Even lapband has risks of death not as much of one, but anything can happen.

If a person wants a different surgery let them...I'm sure they do just as much research as we have.

See you all post good points. I think another thing that would sway people is if they have a life threatening condition and need to shed the weight quick. And Banded2Gether I have done the research but for me it was more the fact that doctors told me I was getting it done and that was that lol sounds strange I know and in any other circumstances anyone would say no, luckily I have always wanted to loose the weight and my doctors are willing to fund this for me. Basically what happened was my doctor told me I should consider lap band, 2 months later I had a consult with one doc who gave me a consult to the surgeon who said "Sure I'll do it for you" Eh confusing right?

Look at it this way, how would you feel if someone was trying to talk you out of lap-band because of all the risks? I'm sure they have researched the options and have made the decision that is right for them. Support what ever decision they have made and only offer your opinion if asked.

There are a lot of people out there that "can't get over the fact that people would actually want to choose" a wls to begin with. Let them be.

The support goup that I was required to go to was 95% bypass patients. There were only 2 lap banders. The Bypass people were actually militant and RUDE about my choice of a band. They did EVERYTHING they could think of to sway me, and I was having none of it. I complained to my doctor and he said to KEEP GOING and prove them wrong. And that's exactly what I've done. Matter of fact, I'm even more successful than a few bypass people on my weightloss. Now I just want to go and stick out my toungue and say, Nanny nanny poo poo, you were wrong...... they all insisted that I wouldn't lose anything. Now when the new people come and clap at my weight loss, I tell them PROUDLY that oh... by the way I'm a bandster, you CAN lose weight with a band, and I have no side issues with it what so ever. I've changed a few minds needless to say..... My doc just grins. He's kind of made me the poster child for lap band at the support group and I don't mind one bit. Some of those poor people look HORRIBLE!!

I would never presume to try and change someone's mind. Help them find information, yes. Try to convince them that "my" way is the "right" way - not a chance.

I just can't get over the fact that people would actually want to choose the gastric bypass.
Sorry, I really have to disagree here. For some, bypass is the best option. Take one of my family members. He was nearly 500 lbs overweight, and had multiple life-threatining comorbidities. He was in a position of, "Lose weight. Now. Or you will die." He needed to lose significant weight quickly, regardless of his intial ability to comply with a diet. For him, the band would absolutely not have been the right choice, IMO.

I think for each situation there is a best option. I think the options may change order as the situation changes. Because this was right for us at that point in our lives does not mean it's right for everyone.

Sorry, I really have to disagree here. For some, bypass is the best option.

Agreed. Each WLS has it's pros and cons.

Take one of my family members. He was nearly 500 lbs overweight, and had multiple life-threatining comorbidities. He was in a position of, "Lose weight. Now. Or you will die." He needed to lose significant weight quickly, regardless of his intial ability to comply with a diet. For him, the band would absolutely not have been the right choice, IMO.

OTOH, he might have done just as well with a sleeve though. In fact, at 500 lb. it would be a lot safer to do a 2-parter IMO.

But I'm not a doctor. I just play one on the internet. :biggrin:

Generally, I would never try to talk someone out of having WLS. I might make sure they knew about other options -- some people don't. But if they knew about them and had decided some other surgery was the right one for them, I would feel presumptuous to try to talk them out of it. Even if I secretly felt they were nuts to pick the one they picked.

Look at it this way, how would you feel if someone was trying to talk you out of lap-band because of all the risks? I'm sure they have researched the options and have made the decision that is right for them. Support what ever decision they have made and only offer your opinion if asked.

There are a lot of people out there that "can't get over the fact that people would actually want to choose" a wls to begin with. Let them be.

Actually thats a good question - I dunno how I would feel. My doctor is the one that actually suggested the lap band because I may be looking at a lung transplant in 5-10 years - I think if someone asked me why I was getting it done I would just tell them that, anyone that knows me knows I have serious health problems (not related to my weight) and overall I want to be healthy and know that if I do need a transplant I will at least survive it. I don't think anyone would have any doubts or try to talk me out of it once I told them that